mtbr member

DT 340 XC, Mavic Crosstrail. or Eason Havocs?

So after breaking another couple spokes on my current wheelset, XT hubs with 117 hoops, I'm looking to move up to something a little beefier. I'm a fairly large guy, about 210 lbs, and ride fairly aggressively. I mostly ride pretty rocky singletrack with a few drops thrown in the mix. I've been looking at the Havoc's, the 340XC's and the Crosstrails, but want some suggestions on which would be best, or better alternatives. The DT set is at the highend of my price point.....I'd love some I9 wheels but I'm still a broke college kid Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated....

jfh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    So after breaking another couple spokes on my current wheelset, XT hubs with 117 hoops, I'm looking to move up to something a little beefier. I'm a fairly large guy, about 210 lbs, and ride fairly aggressively. I mostly ride pretty rocky singletrack with a few drops thrown in the mix. I've been looking at the Havoc's, the 340XC's and the Crosstrails, but want some suggestions on which would be best, or better alternatives. The DT set is at the highend of my price point.....I'd love some I9 wheels but I'm still a broke college kid Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated....
    I would recommend the DTs. That said, if you are a heavy guy and ride aggressively, you may have better luck having a wheelset built. Look at the Hope ProII hubs and the DT5.1 rims. I think you can get that built for less than the DT340XC complete wheelset. There are many good builders talked about on the boards, but I would recommend you call Mike Garcia or Odds and Endos (http://oddsandendos.com/). He makes great wheels and his service is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The cheapest option would be to get some new rims built onto your XT hubs.
    DT 5.1
    Mavic xm721
    Sun Singletracks are a good but cheap rim too

w3rd.
    I'm giving Easton a shot this year. I'm giving the XC One's a try, and for the price and weight I couldn't beat it.

I've heard great things about the Havocs

mdc
    mtbr member
    I'm running a pair of Easton Havocs on my new SS and so far so good. They feel pretty stiff and light and I'm diggin the look. One bonus of the Havocs is that you can convert the front to a 20mm from a traditional skewer, without any fuss ( not sure about the others)...