mtbr member
    Jun 2007

DT 240s / XR 4.1D build opinions

I've already purchased the DT 240s disk center lock hubs and XR 4.1D rims. I'm building the wheels mainly for Adventure Racing and XC riding with no jumps, drops, etc. I weigh in at around 186 + pack and I'm wondering what spoke you all would recommend? Obviously, the lighter the better, but durability is an issue for the longer Adv races. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A couple more things. My hubs are both 28 hole and I'm a fairly nimble rider. Thanks again.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I weigh 80kg plus gear and I ride similar terrain in Australia. My wheels are 240s, DS1 xc rims (lighter than 4.1d rims) and aerolight spokes. Been on a hardtail for 18 months and never had to true them. They've been given a fair whack at times.
    But aerolights are expensive. I got the wheelset unused 2nd hand for $600au!

A wheelist
    My first choice - Sapim CX-Ray.
    2nd choice - Sapim Race 2.0/1.8/2.0
    3rd choice - any other db spoke (DT, Wheelsmith)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The DT Supercomps or Comps will be fine, as will any of Wheelsmith's spokes. I like the CX Rays but they may be twice as much and a little more labor intensive to build with. They are strong spokes though. I am around your weight and the DT Supercomps have been extremely durable but I also have a really good wheelbuilder.

A wheelist
    You posted the response to me so I'll respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I like the CX Rays but they may be twice as much
    Unless we all ride Specialized Rockhoppers we all fall into this trap. My Moots Ti stem is 3x the price of the Thomson it replaced but I don't care. Same with CX-Ray spokes.

and a little more labor intensive to build with.
    I don't agree. For me they're easier. Hold the spoke (the special tool or a home made one) and spoke windup is non existent.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was simply pointing out that the spokes twice the cost. So I have an expensive bike and some expensive LED lights but I spend as much as my broke self can- well, maybe way more but I have never let that stop me.

I have heard several builders state that the pre-tensioning and stressing takes longer with CX-rays so it's more labor intensive to build with. It's a great choice and one I would use on my next traditional build but I'm not addressing anyone- just pointing out what I know and what my opinions are for the benefit of others (hopefully) and especially if they have never built with bladed spokes before.

Don't even ask what my seatpost costs. I have not gotten over that yet.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I have heard several builders state that the pre-tensioning and stressing takes longer with CX-rays so it's more labor intensive to build with.
    Their findings aren't the same as my findings. I'd rather build with CX than Revs anyday.

Don't even ask what my seatpost costs.
    I don't need to. My Moots post was way more money than the one it replaced.

I have not gotten over that yet.
    I knew what it cost before I ordered it so there was no surprise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think it's relatively rare that people here build with CX-Rays but let's ask anyway. Have any of you built with CX-Rays and non-bladed spokes like DT SCs or Wheelsmiths? Is it a lot more work? Are there any unique steps to take, especially for someone who has not built with them before when it comes to pre-tensioning and pre-stressing?

I currently have one wheelset with Supercomps and one with Wheelsmith spokes. I sold my Hadleys with Supercomps to a guy who jumps anything he sees. Both mine are perfectly true (I ride nothing like that though Colorado is pretty rocky and DHs are fast) and his, surprisingly enough, are as well though he now stripped his hub. He is 180 and jumps off stuff taller than the bike all the time. It's gotta be the build- that one was built by Larry at mtnhighcyclery. Wheels that see abuse like that should use Comps, I think. Either way, even he is shocked they don't need attention so with a good build, lighter spokes will be just fine. Rims are 819s.

I was actually considering a build with CK hubs or traditional I9 hubs and CX-Ray spokes this time around but have settled with straight-pull I9 spokes and hubs. Maybe when my other wheelset needs to be rebuilt, I'll use CX-Rays. I always liked them. I hear they are really strong and if they are relatively easy to build with as you say, I may give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm looking at a similar set from light-bikes.com which come with DT Aerolites. Isn't it kind of anti-fashion to use anthing but DT spokes with their rims and hubs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not really- I like an eclectic look sometimes though I like the Aerolites and Wheelsmith's version a lot. They are expensive at $80 per box of 20 though that does not matter on a pre-built wheel if you're okay with the wheelset price to begin with. It matter a lot when building your own wheels if each spoke is more than $4. I'd rather put the money in a high-quality, high-engagement, hub with a limited budget.

The DT Aerolite, like many bladed spokes, have aerodynamic advantages for Time Trials and speed runs. They have no real aerodynamic advantages for mtn biking but can have really good tensile strength and look cool.

The DT Aerolites are great spokes from what I see and hear.