mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Does Mavic crossmax come with the 15MM to 9mm Adapter

I just bought a set of these wheels and wanted to know if the wheelset comes from Mavic with the adapter that takes the 15mm through axle down to a 9 mm so i can use it with my QR Forks? It is slightly confusing to me if this is the case when i read the description from mavic.

thanks in advance for the help,

E

mtbr member
    Yes, it does. At least my 2012 Crossmax ST did. It's actually compatible with 20, 15, and standard QR up front and 135, 142 in the back just through the magic of some reducers and spacers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ColinL, thanks a million for responding. can you tell me how well the adapter works and if you feel it is solid.
    A few quick questions while i have your ear....

give me your honest opinion of the crossmax st's. From what i've read about them in industry magazines they seem to do well but i wanted a real world opinion of them.

Is the weight of the ust tires noticeable? I bought a 2.1 kenda nevagal for the rear and a kenda 2.35 to run up front. these are what i ride with on my non tubeless tires. What do you ride on?

thanks a bunch,

E

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

They dont all come with the 9mm QR

Mine didn't come with the 9mm adapter or front skewer. They came as 15mm with a 20mm adapter. You'll have to check with the shop you are buying them from.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gexas View Post
    ColinL, thanks a million for responding. can you tell me how well the adapter works and if you feel it is solid.
    A few quick questions while i have your ear....

give me your honest opinion of the crossmax st's. From what i've read about them in industry magazines they seem to do well but i wanted a real world opinion of them.

Is the weight of the ust tires noticeable? I bought a 2.1 kenda nevagal for the rear and a kenda 2.35 to run up front. these are what i ride with on my non tubeless tires. What do you ride on?
    1. I have a 15mm front axle and 135 rear, so I am using the 20 to 15 reducer up front and it's fine. My wheelset definitely came with a 9QR reducer as well but I'm not using it. I'm sure it would be fine but check with your reseller to make sure you get the QR adapter up front.

2. I weigh 172 geared up including a full camelbak. I find the Crossmax ST to be a really, really good wheel for 2.2 and narrower tires. The rim is narrow and officially allows a 2.3" max but this gives a very balloon-shaped bulging sidewall. I haven't had any burps but it looks like a wider rim would be ideal if you want to run a truly big tire like a 2.35. I would look at a wheelset with the WTB Frequency i23 rim before buying. It isn't nearly as strong as the Crossmax, but it can be built up to the same weight for about the same price. And it's 23mm instead of 19.

3. if you do get the Crossmax and you're heavy and/or have ever destroyed a wheel, I would strongly recommend the mavic mp3 warranty program. it will cost you $63. I bought it. in 2 years when it expires, I'll decide whether to keep the wheels or sell and buy a new set. I'm neither heavy nor have I destroyed a wheel, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    they arrive tomorrow. i'm 175 rr and i'm not brutal on the bike. i've never busted a wheel or damaged it so it seems like the wheels will handle anything i can throw at it.

i'll keep my fingers crossed on the adapter. . here is what will be delivered with the wheel. it says 15 mm adapters but not clear on whether that means it will come with the 9mm adapter or something else.

DELIVERED WITH:
    BX601 quick releases
    UST valve and accessories
    Front 15 mm adapters
    Specific disc bolts
    Computer magnet (front wheel)
    Bearing adjustment tool (rear wheel)
    Spoke wrench (rear wheel)
    User guide
    Rear 12x142mm adapters

mtbr member
    Ah, I see. I think you'll be fine with the 2.35 nevegal up front as long as you don't try ultra-low pressures. If you have the UST or SCT version you can run those tubeless no problem. If you have a standard nevegal, though, you probably will need to run tubes until it's time to replace the tires.

If you like the nevegal, try a specialized purgatory control next time. Specialized 2Bliss will air right up on your Crossmax wheels without any drama or sealant. (You add sealant later, of course. )

Oh. I've run Maxxis Crossmark LUST, Specialized Ground Control Control (LOL, yes) and now Geax Saguaro TNT on my Crossmax all very successfully as tubeless. I like the Saguaro the best because it corners and rolls the best, and the tread is super long-wearing even though it grips well-- but for all this, you get a heavy tire. The Specialized has the best braking traction and also handles loose terrain a lot better, and it's significantly lighter than the Saguaro. I won't use the Crossmarks again because the Saguaro does everything better and weighs less, and costs less.

Anyway to sum up, I don't know where you ride but if you like the Nevegal and need a beefy tire like that go with the Specialized Purgatory. If you are on mostly hardpack like I am, get the Geax Saguaro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Excellent details and great insight. I deeply appreciate it. My riding is here in the north georgia mountains where there is plenty of rocks and roots along with our famous red ga clay and when wet can be extremely slick and muddy. There are a lot of hills to climb but good decents as well which is why weight was somewhat of a concern of mine with going to the 2.35. i think it weighs in at 1200 grams. I currently run the tubed version of this on my bike(santa cruz FS) and i've really grown to like it. Smooth hard pack is not that prevalent where i ride.

The pressures i run are 35 up front and 38 on the back.

Can i run the 2Bliss without sealant or will it be just fine on the UST crossmax wheels?

I will try out the other tires you mentioned and thanks again.

E

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One other question when i put the wheels on the bike how do you set the bearing preload? does the manual explain how to do this and should i thread lock anything? Some folks have claimed there is a problem with something coming loose on the rear hub.

thanks,
    E

mtbr member
    Can i run the 2Bliss without sealant or will it be just fine on the UST crossmax wheels?
    One other question when i put the wheels on the bike how do you set the bearing preload? does the manual explain how to do this and should i thread lock anything? Some folks have claimed there is a problem with something coming loose on the rear hub
    1. technically you can run the 2Bliss without sealant but it won't give you any puncture protection and it will probably leak at least 10 psi overnight. I put two scoops of stans in my tires about every 2 months and I ride 4-5x a week. I'm going to try slime pro next to see if it stays in the tire longer.

2. there's a little plastic wrench mavic includes for the non-drive side. you can tighten it slightly but don't overdo it-- the fact you're using a plastic wrench with little nubs (you'll see it) gives an indication at the appropriate torque. there is a bushing in the freehub which can wear, and some clever dudes have made replacement bushings in both standard and slightly oversized widths out of hard plastic if you search for them on ebay. I haven't worn out my stock bushing yet and my hub is still tight after ~40 hours of riding (approx 400-450 miles).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ahhhh, thanks for the explanation on the 2Bliss.

How does the stans leak out of the tire? does it escape through small holes punctured in the tire or something?

thanks for the bushing info.

E

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ok got the wheels yesterday. they seem to be really nice and very LITE. However, they came with adapters the take the 20mm thru axle down to 15mm......ugg. i ordered from pricepoint and once discovering this problem they squared me away big time. I had them ship me one of the mavic oem 20mm to 9mm QR adapters. should get here today.

i can't wait to try them out.

E

mtbr member
    I've just got my Specialized S-Works Epic 2013 frameset out of the box. Time to build it up. What about the rear dropouts specification 12/142+?
    I was planning to get the new Mavic Crossmax 29 SLR for this toy, but now I'm wondering if the "+" specification for the rear axle is an issue to be worried about. Mavic is compatible with 142 axles, no doubt, but with 142+?? Have no idea. Any help?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i guess the plus means that your rear dropout will take any ra that has at least a 142(not sure how you can fit bigger ra in there since the drop out is a fixed size...i might misunderstnad what's being described though) To me as long as your rear wheel is a 142 axle or as an adapter to take it to at least that size you should be good.

if non of this helps there is a guy here called maviczac and he knows everything mavic and is extremely helpful. (i think he works or is connected with them some how).

E