Singletrackmac

Does 1mm in inner rim width matter?

I am looking to get a new rear wheel with a wider rim that will be a better fit for my 2.5" rear tire. My current Easton XCII's are too narrow at 23mm outer and 17mm inner rim width.

I am looking at either an Easton Vice/XR with a 26mm outer and 21mm inner width or an Easton EA70 XL with a 26mm outer and a 20mm inner.

I like the EA70 XL better since it has straight pull spokes, but everything I have read about running 2.5" tires says you need at least a 21mm inner rim width.

Is the 1mm from 20mm to 21mm going to matter that much when running 2.5" tires?
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Not really. Try going with a 23.4mm width or best.....30mm. The more millimeters in width, the better traction becomes exponentially.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For running 2.5" tires, a well built wheel with j-bend spokes at 21mm or wider (iiner) is better than a well built wheel with 17mm - 18mm inner width that has straight pull spokes.

The tendency for that big 2.5" tire to roll and squirm (and/or burp if tubeless) when run at pressures that make it really work well is going to be hard to overcome with a narrow rim (17mm or 18mm).

I know that Mavic recommends no larger than 2.3" width on their 717 rim. I found out why the hard way when I ran a 2.5" nevegal as a rear tire. I am a big guy and had to have the pressure high enough to avoid pinch flats, which resulted it the sidewalls cracking almost the entire circumference of the rim, and finally splitting catastrophically between a few spoke holes in the spoke bed inside the rim. That is in addition to the lesser performance caused by such a wide carcass on a narrow rim.

I went to a 321 (21mm inner width) and enjoyed the ride much more than any weight penalty the beefier rim caused.

JMHO.

I am inclined to wonder if the recent trend for wider inner rim width will eventually cause tire designers to take that added width into account when designing tires in the future (if they haven't already).