highly visible

Do I really need a 28mm wide rim with Gazzaloddi 3.0?

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Gazz 3.0 to run on the front of my 29"er when I want more cush than the available 29" tires will provide.

To do this, I need to buy a new disc-friendly 26" wheel. I have little experience with tires over about 2.5" in width. Do I really need a minimum 28mm rim as claimed, or would a 24mm-ish rim suffice?

- Dan

mtbr member
    I wouldn't go anything less than 28mm on a tyre that wide, it will have zero stability at any decent pressure. I would recommend going even wider, Alex DX32s are cheap, and are wide enough to drill 1 inch holes for weight reduction. The width gives you excellent stability and the option to run super low pressures.

- Joel

This place needs an enema

30+

Dan-

I've long used 3.0 gazzas on the front of my snowbikes. Usually I use a 44mm wide rim, and sometimes even an 80mm( ! ), but in an effort to shave weight I've experimented with narrower ones as well. I once tried a 27.5mm Sun Rhyno Lite, and could NOT (even with three tire levers) get the gazza to mount up. From there I tried an Alex dx32 (it works) and a WTB 36mm wide fr rim, which works great and isn't terribly tankish. YMMV

MC

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    I'm contemplating the purchase of a Gazz 3.0 to run on the front of my 29"er when I want more cush than the available 29" tires will provide.

To do this, I need to buy a new disc-friendly 26" wheel. I have little experience with tires over about 2.5" in width. Do I really need a minimum 28mm rim as claimed, or would a 24mm-ish rim suffice?

- Dan
    red-haze mounts his on a 24 mm WTB. I use the 27 mm Mavic F219. I do not doubt that MC could not mount it on a Rhyno Lite. That is a very bad combo for fit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    note - the sun mammoth and double wide rims have a very tall sidewall. The DX32 will be easier to mount things onto. Failing that, get a try-all XXL rim (32 or 36h, designed for trials but good for anything, 47mm wide. I use thin electrical tape as a rimstrip, is plenty resilient enough, and light too)

cheap too, get them from www.webcyclery.com for $65, or the dx32 (38mm wide) for $45. You can take a 3/4" or 1" drill bit to the DX32s as well.

you don't actually pay a big weight penalty for these rims. 700g for the try-all, and 730 for the DX32, undrilled. They will increase the effectiveness of your tyres enormously over skinny rims. You will also be able to run lighter, but still wide, tyres without sacrificing stability. Michelin hots 2.5" comes to mind, I run one at fairly low pressure on the front of my pinch-prone trials bike, works the bomb.

- Joel