mtbr member
    Apr 2010

DMR or SRAM X9 Front Hub or New Wheels for Manitou Tower Pro on SC Tallboy??

I'm looking to put a new 120mm Manitou Tower Pro on a new aluminum SC Tallboy DXC kit, but the fork is a 15mm thru-axle that the stock hubs can't take. My LBS can replace the front hub to accomodate the fork, but I don't know anything about wheels/hubs so am not sure which way to go on it. LBS would be swapping out the stock parts on the new bike to resell I assume.

Here are the options:

DMR Convertable Front 20mm Disc Hub 32h Black $74

SRAM MTB Hub X9 6-Bolt Disc Front 32H 15x100mm $65

Also offered was a full wheel upgrade

"Stans No Tube rims DMR sealed hub set with Wheelsmith stainless spokes These wheels are hand built in our workshop, providing a light,faster and more durable wheel set. Adds $381 per pair"

I'd rather not have to buy the full wheelset as my funds are limited, but maybe that's a better long term investment? I would have to really sell some things to put together the scratch for it, though.

But if I were to stick with just the hub, which should I go with and why? And if you think I should pony up the scratch for the wheelset, why?

This is my first full-susser and i've been riding for a couple years now on mostly xc in northern california. Would like to start riding more aggressive xc and trail. Not interested in racing. Height 5'9" and weight 150 lbs if that matters.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    Front hubs are a shell, bearings, and axle...hard to screw up. But the DMR does have the advantage of being a fully convertible hub (9/15/20) so I'd probably go that route to cover any future changes.