mtbr member
    Nov 2015

DIY Carbon Bikes - Carbon Wheels

Has anyone purchased Carbon Wheels from DIY Carbon Bikes. I've seen them on all over Pinkbike. Based on his information it looks like he is a middle man between the overseas carbon manufacturers. Pricing looks really good, but I'm wondering about the quality of the wheels. Let me know if anyone has any feedback, thanks.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy 3

Elitest thrill junkie
    Deleted
    Last edited by Jayem; 06-09-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    I havent used him yet but am very tempted to.. prices are Excellent. I exchanged a bunch of messages with him regarding details and options on wheel builds and he was prompt and very knowledgeable. So, from my limited knowledge id say the opposite, he seems Legit.

main reason i haven't pulled the trigger is yet is havent made up my mind on which rim to go with..

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I messaged him a few weeks ago about a set for my Bronson. His prices were good and he seemed to know his stuff. Still think Carbonfan or Light Bicycle seem to be the way to go. EIECarbon also has great prices but not a great crash replacement policy. For $150 hoop, who really cares though. They priced me a set of DT240 35mm asymmetrical, with DT comp spokes, sapim nipples, 32 hole like $915 shipped to my door

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    any of you guys pull the trigger on these wheels and have a review? I too have been contemplating them. I exchanged messages with him on pinkbike; he was prompt and knowledgeable. I have a set of eie carbon rims on dt 350s that have been holding up very well. These are a good amount cheaper though.

mtbr member
    I have a set of 29er carbon wheels/DT Swiss hubs coming and will review.

Pros for me - he's in the US, PayPal protection and communication is very good. I had questions about rim width and spokes and got answers before purchasing. He seemed very helpful even though I mentioned I was just shopping around.

Having someone in the states who gets back to you fast is a big plus. Think that all the rims and spokes are coming from the same place so it comes down to price and customer service for me. There is a warranty and PayPal protection so I'll see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Any updates on this guy? I'm thinking about ordering a set of carbon cranks from him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Any updates on this guy? I'm thinking about ordering a set of carbon cranks from him.
    I'm usually pretty good about researching my purchases but did go out on a limb and take a chance on this guy over the weekend, stupid ebay 15% off coupon. I'll do a review once i receive the wheels, granted I'm far from an expert. He wasn't familiar with the Cannondale Ai offset for rear wheels but was also totally upfront about that when I asked about it so honest but probably not a super experienced wheel builder. Definitely great communication prior to the order, but lets be honest post order replies are what really count. If i don't reply to this thread in a couple week PM me to remind me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I almost pulled the trigger with the 15% off eBay coupon, but I ended up getting busy and not getting my order in. I am super curious to hear some opinions from those of you who took the plunge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    reply when asking what size spoke wrench I would need to work on these wheels...

"Sorry I was trying to confirm this with the manufacturer, we do use standard spokes, but they do vary just based on stock. A standard spoke wrench would work, but you can't go wrong with the ones that have a few sizes on them just in case. Let me know if you have any other questions"

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I saw this thread and thought I should join and comment, I have been using DIY Carbon Bikes for years... I'm all about the American customer service and the prices he get are better than anything else factory direct... I started out 6 years ago buying a 29er frame and wheels. Sold the frame to upgrade, but I'm actually still using the wheels with DT350 hubs. They must have been built well because I have been on them for 5 years. I have an ultra light set I use for XC and a 27.5 plus set I use on my play bike, all great wheels. Some of the frames I have liked better than others... Didn't love the full suspension frame I got, but I'm interested and trying his more recent ones. I follow their Instagram and you might want to check that out... instagram.com/diycarbonbikes... It seems like everyday something is posted about a customer with new wheels and reviews from all over the world, and the usernames are always attached to real people buying the products.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So, days later I was having second thoughts, sent him a message wanting to cancel...

"The build was in the process of being built, but we still canceled and will just hold those wheels for another order. We ultimately want our customers to be happy and pumped about the order they placed!!"

I feel bad not having the chance to review the wheels but wish him the best of luck. He clearly wants to make customer satisfaction a priority.

rj2
    mtbr member
    Where can we get the bay coupon?
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It was a 1 day deal on May 4.

rj2
    mtbr member
    I just ordered a set via Ty's Pinkbike ad. Less expensive than eBay. Still have purchase protection from PayPay and credit card.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    cool, let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Hewie; 05-12-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

mtbr member
    Interested...
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Same!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Any updates? My Stumpy needs to lose some weight and I am about to pull the trigger on some wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    so no one really has received the wheels from him yet?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    so no one really has received the wheels from him yet?
    I found 1 guy on Instagram who claims he did but that's not enough for me to not only purchase these but trust I wouldn't die riding them.

mtbr member
    I am really tempted to pull trigger. Under $550 with pretty decent hubs.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    There is way more than one guy on Instagram, there is at least 30 reviews tagged to real dudes by username... one guy @tiroltailhead posted tons of videos beating the hell out of the wheels tagging @diycarbonbikes and then he posted another video of them basically being perfectly true, he said that was after shredding them on DH tracks and everything... some other Trail building dude on Instagram is riding them DH in Austra, not to mention all the others. I have a DIY Carbon Bikes Ultralight rim wheelset I take to Pisgah in confidence, no telling what the AM or DH wheels could handle...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I just got a wheelset from DIY. I ordered an i30 trail set with bladed sapim spokes, blue brass nipples, no stickers, and dtswiss hubs. What I got was i28 with black nipples, bladed spokes, blue stickers, and dtswiss hubs. I was told the i28's are the am/dh hoop, and they ran out of blue nipples. Extra durability never killed anyone so I just removed the stickers and will use them. I definitely should have been contacted when they couldn't make the wheels as I requested, so I'm a bit dissapointed. I'll update when I've had some time on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i was about to pull a trigger. i better make sure with him about substitutions.
    where do you see these i28 / i30 designations? i just see rim widths.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I am on my second wheelset from DCB. First set was on my a XC Hardtail. I ordered and received 30mm with 25mm id with red decals and red DCB decals. As described and looked sweet!! They ride like dream, super stiff and responsive, the light weight is like adding an extra gear. I wanted higher engagement for my trail bike so ordered another set with 30 internal Hope Pro 4 Hubs... with the silver nipples and stainless steel look of the Hope Hubs they are HOT. Beat them up in Arizona so glad I upgraded to the AM rims, they seem indestructible

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    i was about to pull a trigger. i better make sure with him about substitutions.
    where do you see these i28 / i30 designations? i just see rim widths.
    He says the internal width is 5mm narrower than the outer width. So i30 for 35mm wheel, i35 for 40mm, etc. Which is why I was surprised when I put a caliper to mine and got 28mm internal width.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    He says the internal width is 5mm narrower than the outer width. So i30 for 35mm wheel, i35 for 40mm, etc. Which is why I was surprised when I put a caliper to mine and got 28mm internal width.
    Ok gotcha

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i am pulling the trigger before the tariffs hit. not sure if thats going to affect his prices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZandME View Post
    I am on my second wheelset from DCB. First set was on my a XC Hardtail. I ordered and received 30mm with 25mm id with red decals and red DCB decals. As described and looked sweet!! They ride like dream, super stiff and responsive, the light weight is like adding an extra gear. I wanted higher engagement for my trail bike so ordered another set with 30 internal Hope Pro 4 Hubs... with the silver nipples and stainless steel look of the Hope Hubs they are HOT. Beat them up in Arizona so glad I upgraded to the AM rims, they seem indestructible
    One and only post for this user.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Subbed for future

PB link for real world reviews
    https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...mmentid6663029

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I contacted him over at PB and received a reply in a day, but I decided to just stick with my LB wheelset that shipped yesterday for now. I'll consider getting a set of these as beater rims in the future, but my biking budget has been overflow bleeding over the last year. I can wait till spring for some beater rims now that fall is setting in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    I just got a wheelset from DIY. I ordered an i30 trail set with bladed sapim spokes, blue brass nipples, no stickers, and dtswiss hubs. What I got was i28 with black nipples, bladed spokes, blue stickers, and dtswiss hubs. I was told the i28's are the am/dh hoop, and they ran out of blue nipples. Extra durability never killed anyone so I just removed the stickers and will use them. I definitely should have been contacted when they couldn't make the wheels as I requested, so I'm a bit dissapointed. I'll update when I've had some time on them.
    any updates?