mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Dished rear hubs with matching spoke lengths?

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of rear hubs that have their flanges shaped such that they use the same spoke length for both drive-side and non-drive-side?

Obviously most singlespeed hubs meet this criteria, but I believe there are a few geared ones that do too. I want to say I heard of some phil wood touring hubs that were specifically designed this way, so fewer "backup spokes" needed to be carried. Maybe some of the newer fatbike hubs also?

Or perhaps some notes on asymmetric lacing patterns with identical-flange-diameter dished wheels to achieve the same thing? (i.e. 3 cross driveside and 2 cross non-drive). Anyone tried this on their own wheels?

mtbr member
    American Classic hubs can pretty much use the same length spokes since the flanges are narrow. I've built a couple wheels with WTB hubs (AC clones, no longer sold individually) and they have always rounded to the same length using symetrical rims.

The other option is asymmetrical rims, but there aren't many of those left on the market other than fat bike rims.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of rear hubs that have their flanges shaped such that they use the same spoke length for both drive-side and non-drive-side?

Obviously most singlespeed hubs meet this criteria, but I believe there are a few geared ones that do too. I want to say I heard of some phil wood touring hubs that were specifically designed this way, so fewer "backup spokes" needed to be carried. Maybe some of the newer fatbike hubs also?

Or perhaps some notes on asymmetric lacing patterns with identical-flange-diameter dished wheels to achieve the same thing? (i.e. 3 cross driveside and 2 cross non-drive). Anyone tried this on their own wheels?
    i have used a single spoke length for several sets of 3X, 32 spoke Chris King wheelsets.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    DT Swiss 240s 6-bolt builds up nicely with equal length spokes.

Asymmetrical rims (like the BOR 333 XMD) don't really change the spoke length much. It has a 3mm offset to the spoke holes but this only changes spoke length by 0.4mm. What the asymmetry does is help even the spoke tension. For example, the 3mm offset on the BOR 333 XMD with a 240s rear changes the DS/NDS tension ratio from 56% to 71%.