mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dished 221 rims. A problem?/Peformance wheels

undefined[SIZE=7]undefined[/SIZE]undefined I have a set of Mavic 221 rims (hooked to XT hubs). They are slightly "dished" (ie. the side wall surface of the rim is slightly concave due to braking). Does anyone have experience with rim sidewall "catastrophically" failing due to such chronic wear?
    In addition, Performance sells a reasonably light and cheap set of Terra topo wheels. Any experience with these wheels?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrown6015
    I have a set of Mavic 221 rims (hooked to XT hubs). They are slightly "dished" (ie. the side wall surface of the rim is slightly concave due to braking). Does anyone have experience with rim sidewall "catastrophically" failing due to such chronic wear?
    In addition, Performance sells a reasonably light and cheap set of Terra topo wheels. Any experience with these wheels?
    Yes, I have had rim sidewalls fail from brake wear. Not fun. A little bit of concaveness is OK but if you can start to feel that the bead-edge of the rim is spreading/getting wider than the spoke edge it is time to replace it.

I know nothing about the Topo wheels. Check with your LBS about building new wheels on your old hubs. Might be cheaper.
    Last edited by shiggy©®™; 01-15-2004 at 12:35 AM.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common