mtbr "member"

disc wheelset and aluminum nipples

tried the search function but doesn't seem to be working so, sorry if this has been addressed before but...

are there any problems with building a 32 spoke disc wheelset with aluminum nipples? I have a set on my XC bike that's done OK so far. I wanted to build a set for my trail bike using aluminum nipples. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with doing this and if so, do the wheels tend to go out of true with more aggressive riding? or any issues with spoke/nipple failures?

REEK

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    tried the search function but doesn't seem to be working so, sorry if this has been addressed before but...

are there any problems with building a 32 spoke disc wheelset with aluminum nipples? I have a set on my XC bike that's done OK so far. I wanted to build a set for my trail bike using aluminum nipples. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with doing this and if so, do the wheels tend to go out of true with more aggressive riding? or any issues with spoke/nipple failures?

REEK

I would go alloy on the nips. A decade (and more) ago, alloy nips were pretty low quality, and posed problems not just in building but also in long term durability. As a result, they got a reputation for being a "weight weenie, finicky" item. But that was then. These days, alloy nips are very high quality. I use alloy nips on 100% of the wheels that I build, unless I get an 'old school' customer that just won't budge on their belief that alloy are inferior. Realistically, that accounts for about .05% of the wheels I build--very few.

MC
    Last edited by mikesee; 04-10-2006 at 07:39 AM.

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    I'm with Mikesee, every wheel we build uses alloy nipples.
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com