mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Disc Brakes for my All Terra MTB.

Hello, I am looking for disc brakes to go with my Tac 10 wheels.

Could someone please recommend disc brakes for me? Or even better, is anyone getting rid of some that they no longer want?

I currently have v-brakes so will I need to get new brake levers or anything?

Current set-up:

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are there disc brake mounts on the rear triangle? It doesn't look like it from the picture. That will preclude you from putting them on the rear if that's the case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    On the rear triangle? There is what appears to be a mount on the opposite side of the front and rear wheels. It is circular, these wheels can be used with disc brakes or v-brakes.

I got the make wrong, these are zac 19's.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    You can go mechanical disc in front, using your levers. You can't mount disc brakes on the rear.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    On the rear triangle of the frame. There should be a mounting bracket for the caliper welded on near the drop out. Looks like your fork will accept a disc, I'm not seeing the bracket for the rear though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They look very similar to this:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6076/del2ne3.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here is another similar image:

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d3/62/141d_1.JPG

What could go wrong ...
    I ran disc brakes on my GT RTS but you will need something like the A2Z disc brake adapter to mount the rear caliper ... but it works great because the RTS has big flat dropouts
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Right, so could I please have a list of the things I will need for disc brakes to work on my All Terra?

Websites will be useful so I know where to get parts.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Buy an Avid BB7 for the front and leave your V-brake on the rear. The cost to try and run a disc on the rear, plus the fact the frame was not designed to run disc brakes in the rear, makes this project a waste of time and money.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

What could go wrong ...
    if you are going with mechanical disc you just need to buy the calipers and rotors and one of these adapters
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-a2z-DM-UNI-D...QQcmdZViewItem
    it worked great on my RTS and should work on yours with no problems
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What are the differences and why are there different types of disc brakes?

Why is there a divide where some people believe that this bike should not have a rear disc brake and others do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The only reason I see not to put a rear disc on is that it was not originally set up to do so (no permanent mount). I had never seen a clamp-on brake mount before, but if you're comfortable with it then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdisease
    What are the differences and why are there different types of disc brakes?

Why is there a divide where some people believe that this bike should not have a rear disc brake and others do?
    There really aren't that many types of disc brakes, there's hydraulic and cable actuated in one sense. There are differing mounting standards, particularly on the fork; the two major ones are the IS (intl standard) or post mount; most calipers are post mount (I think they're in the majority now), but can easily be used on IS mounts with the right adapter. You might try reading the disc brake FAQ in the upper right corner.

Some of us don't like adapters, nor do they work well on all bikes (although another GT owner does say the big flat dropouts on the GT might work okay). A rear brake isn't as important as the front, either, so going the easy and less expensive way might be a good idea...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you for clearing this up.