How much further ???

Disappointed with Maxxis TR

Ive always like Maxxis tires and always come back if I try other brands. My one complaint was they didnt offer true tubeless ready tires so I was excited when I heard this was going to change. But upon investigation I was very disappointed with what I found.

Not a single Ardent is available in TR
    The DHF minion is only TR in 29er and not 26er WTF!?!?!?
    In general if a tire is available in TR its always the smaller size.

WTF? I love Ardents and Ive run the 2.4 exo as a front on my 26er AM bike and currently on my 29er
    Im running minion 2.5 exo's on my AM bike right now but the sidewall/bead is scarey and have to keep the psi up.

Why the smaller sizes? Doesnt tubeless go hand in hand with larger volume. Isnt the new thing wider rims?

Seems like Maxxis' TR offerings are the exact opposite of what I want/run currently. Bummer
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Check my thread here on sizing: Maxxis Tubeless Ready In Stock

You might or might not mind running a smaller tire in the rear. I find for my set up slightly less grip in the back makes for fun when leaning the corners.

Maxxis has indicated that there will be more tire models and sizes offered tubeless ready in the future......will they make you wait two seasons?? I don't know.

My disapointment having bought and mounted one of these is that there isn't a sidewall stiffener neer the bead ( WTB and shwableiee has this on some models) and I couldn't set the bead with a floor pump.

Still I love the tire I bought.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I've been running Ardent Exo 2.4s tubeless for a couple hundred miles with no problems on M1700 wheels with a bit of Stans.

mtbr member
    TR whatever.... I've been running anthing Maxxis with 60 TPI casing tubeless for years..........
    Some of the easiest tires to set up tubeless. I don't run the 120 TPI tires as their sidewalls are just too thin for any type of riding I like to do.

The Minion DHF 2.5 has been a great tire for me the last few years. What pressure are you trying to run and how much do you weigh?
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

How much further ???
    I weigh 200lbs and run them at 30psi. Anything less and the 2.5 Minion exo feel like they are going to come off the rim. I actually have to run a Stan's rim strip to get them to seal up and I have a compressor. In contrast I have installed the Ardent 2.4 exo on the same rim and not only do I not need a rim strip but I can run them down at 25psi with no concern of breaking the bead.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Although I love Maxxis tires they really aren't tubeless ready, I'm using Schwalbes for now, but I'll be pleased to switch back to Maxxis when most of the range switch to TR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Ive always like Maxxis tires and always come back if I try other brands. My one complaint was they didnt offer true tubeless ready tires so I was excited when I heard this was going to change. But upon investigation I was very disappointed with what I found.

Not a single Ardent is available in TR
    The DHF minion is only TR in 29er and not 26er WTF!?!?!?
    In general if a tire is available in TR its always the smaller size.

WTF? I love Ardents and Ive run the 2.4 exo as a front on my 26er AM bike and currently on my 29er
    Im running minion 2.5 exo's on my AM bike right now but the sidewall/bead is scarey and have to keep the psi up.

Why the smaller sizes? Doesnt tubeless go hand in hand with larger volume. Isnt the new thing wider rims?

Seems like Maxxis' TR offerings are the exact opposite of what I want/run currently. Bummer
    I couldn't agree more with you! I too always seem to come back to maxxis even after non existent customer service. The new TR tires that I've tried so far are good for what they are intended for - racing. Seeing as though I've bagged all my mtb racing for the season in favor of, what's that called again? Oh, having fun and just trail riding all the TR options are sort of in the lame category. I liked my Ikon 2.2 in a TR but they're fast tires mostly for race day. They actually cornered OK and honestly if I could find one in a TRUE 2.4 they would be great for the current hard packed conditions of my local trails.

I JUST got a set of new Maxxis tires - since they didn't offer an Ardent in a TR option (agreed, wtf?) and just an over built UST I opted for a Ardent 2.4 in the EXO version. I'm pretty anti-conversion at this point but I've heard good things about running tubeless on this tire so I went for it. Mounted with out issue w/ Stan's but it's NARROW, like an actual 2.2! Very disappointing! Running this as a front tire, not liking the looks of it but since it's already mounted w/ messy sealant I'm stuck with it. I was actually very excited about the rear tire - a 2.3 Minion in a 29er. I've ridden the Minion both DH casing (they get rad pointed down hill but that's it) and a traditional EXO casing in a 26" version so I was excited to see the new 29X2.3 Minion in a GASP, tubeless ready option! Again, super super lame narrow tire! I just dropped over $100 on tires (again) and I'm left with what appears to be two potentially mediocre rear tires at best.

I have a frame that looks like it would accept a 2.5 but the Maxxis Minion 29X2.5 is too WIDE for my frame. I don't get it. Maxxis, you're SO close but you're missing the boat on width big time. Honestly I'd love a Crossmark or Ikon in a wide TR version. The world needs both of these! I'm so over narrow f'ing tires!!!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    TR whatever.... I've been running anthing Maxxis with 60 TPI casing tubeless for years..........
    Some of the easiest tires to set up tubeless. I don't run the 120 TPI tires as their sidewalls are just too thin for any type of riding I like to do.

The Minion DHF 2.5 has been a great tire for me the last few years. What pressure are you trying to run and how much do you weigh?
    You've got it backwards. 60 TPI is thinner/lighter than 120 TPI. Thread per inch. More is better is better if better is defined as more durable. Maxxis UST tires run 120 TPI. They are over built, but they hold air like no one's business. Damn 29" tires in UST are actually too heavy for me though... which is the reasoning behind the TR concept. Maxxis has done a good/great job with that bead, but again their sizing is not true to measure...

I'm curious about the Minion you've run in the past. 2.5 in 29" version? The one I found was beyond heavy at over 1000 grams and was a deal breaker for me.
    My one says BRAP!

beater

Disappointed with Maxxis TR

Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    You've got it backwards. 60 TPI is thinner/lighter than 120 TPI. Thread per inch. More is better is better if better is defined as more durable. Maxxis UST tires run 120 TPI. They are over built, but they hold air like no one's business. Damn 29" tires in UST are actually too heavy for me though... which is the reasoning behind the TR concept. Maxxis has done a good/great job with that bead, but again their sizing is not true to measure...

I'm curious about the Minion you've run in the past. 2.5 in 29" version? The one I found was beyond heavy at over 1000 grams and was a deal breaker for me.
    No, Scott had it right.

Disappointed with Maxxis TR-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369280599.886574.jpg

The lighter tires like the Ikon have 120 tpi TR versions, but tires like the Minion or High Roller II are 60 tpi.

I have the 29er Minions: DHF (2.5) and DHR2 (2.3) and while I haven't bothered measuring them, the widths look pretty reasonable to me. So does the weight- I've been waiting for tires like this for a reason. Grip AND durability.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.