mtbr member
    May 2013

Difference between shwalbe ORC and DC compounds?

I ordered a set of nobby nics from chain reaction and when they got here I noticed that the tires were slightly different, one of them has the DC compound and one has ORC compound.

The boxes were also slightly different and the manufacture numbers were different by a ".01" added to the end of one of them.

I couldn't find any info on schwalbe's website, does anyone on here by any chance know what the difference between these tires is?

Thanks, Chris.

mtbr member
    I don't know what ORC is...DC = Dual compound? Man, these guys are out of control, TL or no TL, Evo Vs Performance line, Pacestar, Trailstar, Vertstar compounds, Snakeskin or no snakeskin... in Black, graphite, white stripes. I have a headache!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The tire says "offroad racing compound" on it but that doesn't help me know what/if the difference is.

mtbr member
    Are they in the Evo line or the Performance line? The Evo line is their premium line. If it's in the Performance line it's a lower tier tire. It may be that these are OEM tires, also. I know, TMFA!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Difference between shwalbe ORC and DC compounds?

Quote Originally Posted by hardup View Post
    I ordered a set of nobby nics from chain reaction and when they got here I noticed that the tires were slightly different, one of them has the DC compound and one has ORC compound.

The boxes were also slightly different and the manufacture numbers were different by a ".01" added to the end of one of them.

I couldn't find any info on schwalbe's website, does anyone on here by any chance know what the difference between these tires is?

Thanks, Chris.
    ORC is a basic compound, longer wear, decent grip. Single compound. Generally used on the Performance line tires with different casings.

Looks like all current Performance NNs are dual compound. No single compound offered

There have been 3-4 different Nobby Nic treads over the years. Schwalbe does use tread design ID numbers, which are molded on the sidewall. Current design is HS 411.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...obby_nic_hs411
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ordered the performance line and they are both HS 411. The DC tires art.No is 11600097.01 and the ORC is 11600097. They were the cheapest folding nobby nics available from chain reaction at $33 a tire, but I'm still unsure why they sent me two different tires.

Would the ORC be similar to the harder compound in the center of the DC tires?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I decided that the orc ones must be an older version, thus the additional .01 in the product number of the dc tires which usually indicates a revision.

This shouldn't matter to me as much as it does, but if I put the tires on every time I see the mismatched writing on the sidewalls it will drive me crazy. I sent CRC an email to see what they can so about this, hopefully they can fix it and the process isn't too painful.

I'll keep anyone watching this updated.