mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Diff btwn Nob Nic 26 x 2.35 and 2.4? So close in size? Also Trailstar vs Pacestar?

Looking at larger tires to run on my 26" MTB either for the purpose of just trying larger tires than my 2.1's...or, so I can put a larger than 2.1 on the rear if I put a 650B 2.25 on the front. Either way, I am looking at larger tires than 2.1 and I notice that Racing Ralph don't come in larger than 2.25 anymore, but Nob Nic come 2.35 and 2.4. Hans Dampf come 2.35, but I am pretty sure the NN are better suited to my riding.

What is the difference between the 2.35 and the 2.4? I mean, they are so close is sizing, is there much difference between the two? If my bike was able to fit a 650B wheel with a 2.25 RR just barely, could I fit the NN 2.4?

What's the difference between the two compounds? Is Trailstar really sticky but fast wearing? Is Pacestar faster and longer wearing?

thanks

: )

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'll only comment on the compound question but you have it right. Trailstar tires are also known to chunk badly in a short period of time. I suggest a Trailstar front and pacestar rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wanted to know the same thing. How do the 2.25 and 2.4 compare to a 2.35 nevegal volume/width?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I did some digging. I believe the 2.35 is tubeless ready while the 2.4 is UST tubeless and weighs something like 60g more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Looking at larger tires to run on my 26" MTB either for the purpose of just trying larger tires than my 2.1's...or, so I can put a larger than 2.1 on the rear if I put a 650B 2.25 on the front. Either way, I am looking at larger tires than 2.1 and I notice that Racing Ralph don't come in larger than 2.25 anymore, but Nob Nic come 2.35 and 2.4. Hans Dampf come 2.35, but I am pretty sure the NN are better suited to my riding.

What is the difference between the 2.35 and the 2.4? I mean, they are so close is sizing, is there much difference between the two? If my bike was able to fit a 650B wheel with a 2.25 RR just barely, could I fit the NN 2.4?

What's the difference between the two compounds? Is Trailstar really sticky but fast wearing? Is Pacestar faster and longer wearing?

thanks

: )
    I believe they are pretty close in size .The ERTO rating is 2mm difference. A 2.35 Hans dampf is actually wider than a 2.4 No Ni.
    They are both very big tires. Much bigger than a Ra Ra 2.25. pacestar is a lot faster than Trail star compound.

If you have limited chain stay width, but want a tall tire , go for a Conti , 2.2 Trail king/ Rubber Queen, 2.4 Xking, 2.4 Mountain King 2.
    All have similar 2.4 " height but are only 2.3" in width. The 2.2 TK is only slightly smaller in height and width than the other two.

If you want a fast tall tire go for the x king 2.4.Less speed more grip go for MK2. Even more grip less speed go for TK/RQ .The racesport versions are the biggest. The cheaper folding versions are made in Asia and are smaller in size. The protection version doesn't stretch as much.

The 2.2 Race king has a similar tall casing but lower tread height and width.