Anytime. Anywhere.

DHR II WT 2.4 And Magic Mary 2.35

I can get a good deal on these 2 tires and was thinking of DHR II 2.4 Maxx Terra rear, and Magic Mary 2.35 Trailstar front for PNW riding. My usual source has no DHF 2.5s. Thoughts.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

I'm with stupid
    Good combo I want it all spring. I am currently running the specialized version of that hillbilly front and 2018 butcher rear. You will have to adjust your braking points because that combo is like dropping a anchor when hitting the binders. Over all one of the best combos I have run in the winter/spring

mtbr member
    From what I've been reading lately, the new addix soft MM rolls very well. It;s lighter than the the 2.4 DHRII at ~900g in Snakeskin. Worth trying MM on both ends which is my next move.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    DHRII WT 2.4 in DC is great on the rear. 3C will be more grippy but will roll worse. 3C is great for wet riding though. I recently swapped a DHRII 2.4 for a Nobby Nic 2.6 Speedgrip. I want my DHRII back. If the Magic Mary is as flimsy as this NN I wouldnt put it on the rear.

I have the e13 TRS Race up front. Paired with the DHRII it's a killer combo. The MM in ultra soft or Trailstar should be similar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I recently swapped a DHRII 2.4 for a Nobby Nic 2.6 Speedgrip. I want my DHRII back. If the Magic Mary is as flimsy as this NN I wouldnt put it on the rear.
    Don't blame you... 2.6 nic is a light plus tire.

Keep on Rockin...
    The MM is a step up, grip-wise, even from the legendary DHF.

I've run the MM on both trail hikes and the DH rigs. Overkill on the trail hike for sure. On the DH bike, for the truely nasty trails, the Mary is unbeatable. But on the DH bike they die a quick death.

Trail Ninja
    I'm just going to echo JCWages, since I can't give him rep without spreading it around and he pretty said everything I wanted to.

I was initially worried about the lack of synergy in that combo too. The DHR2 is virtually unrivaled in the dry as a high grip fast rolling tire with very likable cornering traits, but Schwalbe tires have sort of a different personality. After thinking about it, I think I'd try that combo too if I were riding in mixed conditions, since I'm not a fan of Schwalbe tires in the rear (at least for dry loose-over-hard). When I tried the new Nobby Nic in the rear, I also found that it had a flimsy casing that held me back. It had the DD casing too...

JCWages' e13 TRS Race is a grip monster, rolling speed be damned. It seemingly is worth it though, especially if you have bad braking habits. It'd give you the confidence to fix your braking technique, not feeling a need to drag brakes for security.

Over in dry desert SoCal, I feel absolutely no urge to switch to any other tire, riding 2.3 DHR2 F&R, modded with the square profile cut.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    e13 TRS Race is a grip monster, rolling speed be damned. It seemingly is worth it though, especially if you have bad braking habits. It'd give you the confidence to fix your braking technique, not feeling a need to drag brakes for security.
    It works well on a sub 27mm iw rim to give it some profile, otherwise it's too square and cornering suffers.

Trail Ninja
    I like the cornering of square profile tires. Its their rolling resistance that's the big trade-off.

Edit: oh wait, you mean the other kind of square profile, where the shoulder knobs are almost engaging while rolling upright... xD
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    The MM is a step up, grip-wise, even from the legendary DHF.

I've run the MM on both trail hikes and the DH rigs. Overkill on the trail hike for sure. On the DH bike, for the truely nasty trails, the Mary is unbeatable. But on the DH bike they die a quick death.
    Where do you find it be be better compared to the DHF?
    You think it is a better all rounder than Dhf?

Keep on Rockin...
    Braking for sure, and somewhat better at cornering. Grippier in general. But rolled slower. A trade off.

On my trail bike I used the Trailstar up front. It was just more tire than I needed. For most riders and trail conditions, the DHF in a 3c up front is likely more than enough. It is extremely rare that I can out ride that tire. So more tire is just lugging around extra grip and drag I don't need.

Overall, DHF in a 3c up front is the way to go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I'm just going to echo JCWages, since I can't give him rep without spreading it around and he pretty said everything I wanted to.
    It's the thought that count. Thanks budy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have ordered a MM Addix soft for the front. I can't possibly have to much grip in the winter, thanks everyone.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by sundace View Post
    Where do you find it be be better compared to the DHF?
    You think it is a better all rounder than Dhf?
    From all that I've read, and I read every knobby tire review, the DHF gets the leg up on the MM in most situations except in mud and wet conditions. On hardpack most reviews fault the MM because of knob deformation. That being said I have not tried the MM so I can't say for sure.

After having my arse saved a few times by the large side knobs of the e13 during a front wheel washout I'm not going back to lesser tires. The feeling of impending doom as your front wheel starts to slide out from under you then suddendly you're back upright as the side knobs grab with a jolt is hard to describe and I dig it. That pretty much leaves the e13, DHF/DHR2 and MM on my short list for killer front tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I have ordered a MM Addix soft for the front. I can't possibly have to much grip in the winter, thanks everyone.
    Awesome! Please give us an update when you have some miles on it. Im not in love with this NN but I'd still give the MM a go.