Clueless genius
    Feb 2011

Deciding between 4 Tires...

Having since shredded the 6 year old IRC trailbear I was using for a rear tire recently, I'm in the market for a new rear tire for once conditions dry off a bit! Until then a 2.1 Fire XC will be carrying me over.

I ride typical So-cal conditions, mostly dry, somewhat loose, rocky, dusty, and slippery decomposed granite. 26-inch wheels.

So far I've narrowed down my search to just a few candidates: WTB Mutano 2.4, WTB 2.2 Wolverine, Maxxis Ardent 2.25, and the Continental X-King 2.2.

I run a mutano up front and love how it feels there, my shop recommended the conti's, and I've heard good things about the wolverines and ardent's as a rear tire too. My main concerns are braking bite and wearability amongst them, rolling resistance is a concern of course, but not vital, as is tubless compatibility.
    Last edited by Spykr; 11-17-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Re-wording
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    Having since shredded the 6 year old IRC trailbear I was using for a rear tire recently, I'm in the market for a new rear tire for once conditions dry off a bit! Until then a 2.1 Fire XC will be carrying me over.

I ride typical So-cal conditions, mostly dry, somewhat loose, rocky, dusty, and slippery decomposed granite. 26-inch wheels.

So far I've narrowed down my search to just a few candidates: WTB Mutano 2.4, WTB 2.2 Wolverine, Maxxis Ardent 2.25, and the Continental X-King 2.2.

I run a mutano up front and love how it feels there, my shop recommended the conti's, and I've heard good things about the wolverines and ardent's as a rear tire too. My main concerns are braking bite and wearability amongst them, rolling resistance is a concern of course, but not vital, as is tubless compatibility.
    In my experience, WTB tires wear out faster than other tires, though I did have the dual DNA tread on mine. The Mutano is good, though just awful if things get damp...you are in So Cal, so not a big issue.

Something tells me that the Ardent will bite and corner better than the Conti's or Wolverines.

My advice...look at reviews, and flip a coin.

mtbr member
    Ran the Wolverine and loved it here in Socal. Conti X-King was one of the worst tires I have ever ridden, but I only tried it on the front. My buddy has cut two sidewalls of them as well. The Ardent rolls much slower than either the Wolverine or X-King. It does offer great traction though.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Went ahead and ordered another 2.4 Mutano! I have panaracer fire XC pros for when the conditions turn moist so that's no worry for me!
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7