Clueless genius
    Feb 2011

Deciding between 4 Tires...

Having since shredded the 6 year old IRC trailbear I was using for a rear tire recently, I'm in the market for a new rear tire for once conditions dry off a bit! Until then a 2.1 Fire XC will be carrying me over.

I ride typical So-cal conditions, mostly dry, somewhat loose, rocky, dusty, and slippery decomposed granite. 26-inch wheels.

So far I've narrowed down my search to just a few candidates: WTB Mutano 2.4, WTB 2.2 Wolverine, Maxxis Ardent 2.25, and the Continental X-King 2.2.

I run a mutano up front and love how it feels there, my shop recommended the conti's, and I've heard good things about the wolverines and ardent's as a rear tire too. My main concerns are braking bite and wearability amongst them, rolling resistance is a concern of course, but not vital, as is tubless compatibility.
    Last edited by Spykr; 11-17-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Re-wording
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    Having since shredded the 6 year old IRC trailbear I was using for a rear tire recently, I'm in the market for a new rear tire for once conditions dry off a bit! Until then a 2.1 Fire XC will be carrying me over.

I ride typical So-cal conditions, mostly dry, somewhat loose, rocky, dusty, and slippery decomposed granite. 26-inch wheels.

So far I've narrowed down my search to just a few candidates: WTB Mutano 2.4, WTB 2.2 Wolverine, Maxxis Ardent 2.25, and the Continental X-King 2.2.

I run a mutano up front and love how it feels there, my shop recommended the conti's, and I've heard good things about the wolverines and ardent's as a rear tire too. My main concerns are braking bite and wearability amongst them, rolling resistance is a concern of course, but not vital, as is tubless compatibility.
    In my experience, WTB tires wear out faster than other tires, though I did have the dual DNA tread on mine. The Mutano is good, though just awful if things get damp...you are in So Cal, so not a big issue.

Something tells me that the Ardent will bite and corner better than the Conti's or Wolverines.

My advice...look at reviews, and flip a coin.

mtbr member
    Ran the Wolverine and loved it here in Socal. Conti X-King was one of the worst tires I have ever ridden, but I only tried it on the front. My buddy has cut two sidewalls of them as well. The Ardent rolls much slower than either the Wolverine or X-King. It does offer great traction though.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Went ahead and ordered another 2.4 Mutano! I have panaracer fire XC pros for when the conditions turn moist so that's no worry for me!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400