mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Debating 29mm and 35mm internal rim width for Magic Mary and 2.5 DHF

Looking to upgrade my wheels to either Ibis 735 or 742 and having a tough time deciding. The tires I would like to run are primarily 2.35 Magic Mary and 2.5 Maxxis DHF.

Other alternatives are:
    2.4 High Roller 2
    2.35 E13 TRS
    2.35 Hans Dampf

The rims will be going on a Yeti SB6c that I take to bike park 4 - 8 times per year. I'm getting into racing enduro beginner maybe 2 races per year. Working on getting better at cornering, but have no desire to run tires any bigger than 2.5 on the bike. Looking for advice on which rim/wheelst would be better for the tires and riding I'm doing.
    Thanks
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

mtbr member
    You'd be fine on either, now. I think Maxxis says their WT series of tires are designed for 35 mm rims, so it may be that tire design is moving in that direction. I got a pair of 742's for that reason.

mtbpete
    I agree that either will probably be fine. The 735 may save you a little weight.

mtbr member
    I'm running some 2.35 Hans Dampf with i29 rims. The sidewall is getting pretty near even with the outermost knobs. IMO...if you don't plan on going wider than a 2.6...the the i29 will be just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Not planning on anything bigger than a 2.5 tire. I prefer to run 2.35 -2.4 in the rear and 2.5 on the front. Seems like newer tire development looks to be for wider rims, but there are a lot of tires than aren't designed for them now.

If would you get i29 rims again knowing how the Hans Dampfs fit?
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '16 Yeti SB6c

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    If would you get i29 rims again knowing how the Hans Dampfs fit?
    I've got almost a year on my HD's and so far...I haven't encountered any issues with the side wall. I've tons of shuttling and made a few trips to the Mammoth bike park. I do want to try some 2.6's...so I think I will buy again...but If I didn't plan on going wider than the 2.35...I wouldn't have any problems with a 25 or i27mm rim.

I don't think the HD is too narrow to run with a i29 rim. This is from riding on the street after getting off the trail. You can kinda see in the pic that the sidewall is losing its "light bulb" shape. I'm running 16psi up front and 18psi rear. I'm 145lbs pre gear.

Debating 29mm and 35mm internal rim width for Magic Mary and 2.5 DHF-img_20170716_184859711.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    thanks for the picture
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '16 Yeti SB6c

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd caution that the Ibis 735 is probably a little too flyweight for bike park duty. I'd take Ibis at their word when they say "The 735/935 are ideal for lighter trail bikes that see more XC time, and also great for riders looking to save as much weight as possible".

That said, I think wither width will work well with the tires you want to run, particularly the Maxxis WT treads and the e13 TRS.

mtbr member
    I would go for the wider rim for the park. Weight is not really an issue. The Magic Mary is a pretty good park tire. It hooks up well. Hans Dampf for a park tire may not be aggressive enough of a tread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the 742's and will post a quick follow up after the first ride.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '16 Yeti SB6c

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the 742's and will post a quick follow up after the first ride.
    I'm running HD's on 742's and they've been fine. Still a nice round shape to them.

mtbr member
    Looking to upgrade my wheels to either Ibis 735 or 742 and having a tough time deciding.
    I'd say 735 for sure. I have run Magic Mary and E13 on 29iw and 35iw rims and find a huge difference between the two, especially with the E13. On the wide rims the tire profile does square off some but the bigger issue is that pulling the sidewalls out further on the wide rim closes the channel between the center and side knobs some killing the cornering bite... by a lot. There is a similar effect with the MM but not as severe.

What is the advantage of the wider rim with those tire choices?
    I see none but do see some important disadvantages.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    I'd say 735 for sure. I have run Magic Mary and E13 on 29iw and 35iw rims and find a huge difference between the two, especially with the E13. On the wide rims the tire profile does square off some but the bigger issue is that pulling the sidewalls out further on the wide rim closes the channel between the center and side knobs some killing the cornering bite... by a lot. There is a similar effect with the MM but not as severe.

What is the advantage of the wider rim with those tire choices?
    I see none but do see some important disadvantages.
    That is the concern for me, but I'm also looking at the DHF 2.5 WT tires on the front, which Maxxis says were optimized for 35mm rims. I'm guessing 742 is a stronger rim?

The bike I'm putting this on a SB6c, which will be built up for more aggressive downhill. Will be racing/riding it at Northstar Bike park. I'm not great at cornering and hoping wider tires on the front would help. I'm not super aggressive leaning the bike over, and was hoping wider rim would help. Weight and rolling resistance aren't a priority so much as strength and grip. I would like to be able to run Magic Mary's though. Don't like the feel of + tires however.

Thought process is,DHF WT2.5 is fine on most summer riding and MM would be better racing and super loose tracks.

How much did it affect the Magic Mary? To the extent you wouldn't run it on 35mm?
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '16 Yeti SB6c

mtbr member
    That is the concern for me, but I'm also looking at the DHF 2.5 WT tires on the front, which Maxxis says were optimized for 35mm rims. I'm guessing 742 is a stronger rim?

The bike I'm putting this on a SB6c, which will be built up for more aggressive downhill. Will be racing/riding it at Northstar Bike park. I'm not great at cornering and hoping wider tires on the front would help. I'm not super aggressive leaning the bike over, and was hoping wider rim would help. Weight and rolling resistance aren't a priority so much as strength and grip. I would like to be able to run Magic Mary's though. Don't like the feel of + tires however.

Thought process is,DHF WT2.5 is fine on most summer riding and MM would be better racing and super loose tracks.

How much did it affect the Magic Mary? To the extent you wouldn't run it on 35mm?
    I have 742's and my wife has 735's. Both have Rocket Ron's on the back and I can't see any difference in the tread. Correction: The tread measures more open on the 742's, but I'm guessing that's an anomaly because those tires were at a higher pressure. Either set would do well. I got her the 735's to save weight.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-18-2017 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member

I would prefer to run all the tires you listed on the 735s. Magic Mary and the DHF's work fine on the wider rims but I prefer them on 29iw rims. The E13 suffers the most on the wide rim and that tire was designed around a 27iw rim I believe.

742s may be a bit stronger but you give up some tire options and not sure they're going to provide more grip. No real downside to the 735s.
    Last edited by bob-o; 07-18-2017 at 09:37 PM.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    I would prefer to run all the tires you listed on the 735s.
    jep
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database