mtbr member
    Sep 2005

DB Stainless Steel spokes vs DT Swiss Titanium MMC-- stiffness?

based on performance alone are there significant differences? cause i am currently using stainless steel spokes and for a new wheelset i am considering using DT swiss Titanium MMC spokes to bring down weight..

i am happy with the performance of my stainless steel spokes(very slight flex) i heard Titanium spokes also flex quite abit...are they flexier than steel spokes? how about Marwi Ti spokes does the price justify the jump?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by mafia6
    based on performance alone are there significant differences? cause i am currently using stainless steel spokes and for a new wheelset i am considering using DT swiss Titanium MMC spokes to bring down weight..

i am happy with the performance of my stainless steel spokes(very slight flex) i heard Titanium spokes also flex quite abit...are they flexier than steel spokes? how about Marwi Ti spokes does the price justify the jump?
    Using a lighter steel spoke is a MUCH better idea than going to a TI spoke. Someone else can explain the technical what-for's, I think this way because I've built a handful of TI spoked wheels that were very difficult to bring to full, even tension, very difficult to properly stress relieve, and after all that they were pretty flexy on the trail.

Might be a moot point, though--DT stopped bringing the MMC spokes into the US, and may have stopped production all together.

MC

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Using a lighter steel spoke is a MUCH better idea than going to a TI spoke. Someone else can explain the technical what-for's, I think this way because I've built a handful of TI spoked wheels that were very difficult to bring to full, even tension, very difficult to properly stress relieve, and after all that they were pretty flexy on the trail.

Might be a moot point, though--DT stopped bringing the MMC spokes into the US, and may have stopped production all together.

MC
    hmm so i will be better using a lighter steel spoke? but steel spokes? i dont know any company that makes them..i am using generic ones now..i want something that is strong yet reasonably light and not too expensive also..

LA CHÈVRE
    DT make good steel spokes available in many sizes, shapes, and butting. Some are very light. Sapim also make quality spokes but are probably more expensive...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Never mind.............
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    DT make good steel spokes available in many sizes, shapes, and butting. Some are very light. Sapim also make quality spokes but are probably more expensive...
    I was going to suggest DT & Sapim,too....
    "Staring at the world from my own little Idaho..."

mtbr member
    Stainless steel has a modulus of elasticity of 200 GPa where titanium has a modulus of elasticity of 105 GPa. This means that a titanium spoke of the same diameter as a stainless steel spoke would elongate twice as much under the same load.

But titanium only weighs 4520 kg/m3 where as stainless steel weighs 7800 kg/m3.

If you had an equal weight titanium and SS spoke (the ti one would be of larger diameter of course), the SS one would be 1.1 times stiffer.

If you had an equal weight aluminum and SS spoke (the Al one would be of larger diameter of course), they would have identical stiffness.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    Stainless steel has a modulus of elasticity of 200 GPa where titanium has a modulus of elasticity of 105 GPa. This means that a titanium spoke of the same diameter as a stainless steel spoke would elongate twice as much under the same load.

But titanium only weighs 4520 kg/m3 where as stainless steel weighs 7800 kg/m3.

If you had an equal weight titanium and SS spoke (the ti one would be of larger diameter of course), the SS one would be 1.1 times stiffer.

If you had an equal weight aluminum and SS spoke (the Al one would be of larger diameter of course), they would have identical stiffness.
    Now I know why you are called GearHead!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Difference with DT MMC Titanium Spokes

I know this is a few weeks late, but I thought I'd give you some info on the DT Titanium spokes vs. the Marwi.

DT MMC Titanium spokes are actually a titanium / metal matrix that doesn't use the high tension that the titanium alloy (used by Marwi) needs to have. I don't think this makes them better/worse than the Marwi, just different.

I bought a whole mess of the gold anno DT's when they discontinued them and have built 3 sets of wheels and found them to be very similar (to build with and ride on) to regular straight gauge 2.0 stainless steel DT's. According to the DT rep I spoke with, he said they no longer produced them because they were costly to manufacture, they did not sell enough (@ $4.00 each I can see that!) and in general were not as profitable as selling stainless steel spokes.

I would definately recomend the DT titanium spokes! I've ridden on the first set I built for over 3 years with out any problems. I heard all the myths about Ti spokes; flexi, break easy, can't use with disc brakes, can't use alloy nipples, and I realize that they were just that; myths.