Flaccid Member

Dave's Speed Dream Wheels

Small world we live in... Myself and a few new riding friends are riding around in Horse Gulch on our first day of riding in Durango, CO. We are chatting it up on the trail with a guy while taking a break, when I asked him about my weight, my hard tail 29'er and should I go with some Stans Arches or Flows. Fast forward a couple days later, and I'm in having a sandwich for lunch on Main St. when the same guy recognizes my bike, and comes in to talk to me a bit about wheels. Push came to shove, we ended up getting some chinese for dinner, and talking about wheel building, far, far, far beyond my comprehension of the subject matter.

After chatting for far longer than it should take, I went with a set of Stan's Flow's 29er's for my RIP, on some DT Swiss 240 S hubs.

Dave works with only top notch components, Hadley, King, or DT Swiss hubs, Sapim spokes, has a Woods spoke cutter with rolled threads, and is the most meticulous builder I've seen to date. He's made his living building wheels and keeping customers happy for over 20 years now.

If you are in the market for a wheelset that's built exactly to your needs, just like the pro's use, give Dave a call and see what a difference a great wheelset makes in your riding enjoyment. 5 flaming dookies for quality, Daves wheels, in my opinion, are off the chart.

Knollician
    Welcome to 10 years ago I have been using Dave for what seems like forever.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    As an average skilled amateur wheelbuilder when i was starting out i studied almost every wheel I came across. Spoke gauge, spoke brand, nipple size and alloy type, crosses, which trailing and lead spokes, tensions, spoke counts. By far the Dream wheels were the most detailed in using different gauge spokes and crosses and mixing trailing and lead spokes in the same wheelset. Got a basher clyde friend whose dream wheels have stayed true from day one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi all ! I have a set of Daves wheels too . 240S hubs with stans arch rims....most awesome guy to work with and great wheels !

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Dave's knowledge is off the hook and he is a superb gentleman to deal with.
    Last edited by jeffj; 10-08-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Dave's knowledge is off the hook and he is a superb gentleman to deal with.
    You have a number he can be reached at?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    You have a number he can be reached at?
    find it here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    By far the Dream wheels were the most detailed in using different gauge spokes and crosses and mixing trailing and lead spokes in the same wheelset.
    Huh?

Using different gauge spokes in the same wheel is not an indication of good quality. ...Nor does changing up the cross pattern mid-wheel.

I've not doubt Dave makes some good wheels but I bet he'll be scratching his head if he comes across this thread.

Big Boned
    I've owned two different pairs of Dave's wheels, one road and one mtb. I beat the snot out of them and was never able to knock them out of true. And I'm 220 after a sauna and a grunt in the can. He's the man, and super nice, too. FWIW, I don't believe he mixes cross patterns or gauges on the same side of a wheel, but for instance he might do 3x with one gauge on the disc side (for strength) and 2x with a different gauge on the non-disc side (for weight savings). The different gauges work to even out the tension between the different cross patterns, I believe. Don't quote me on that specifically. All I know is he just has some voodoo tricks, and they work darn well. I only wish I'd opted for tubeless rims back then, or I'd probably still be riding those wheels.
    Last edited by Manmountain Dense; 10-09-2009 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

No mixing on the same side, only side to side

Quote Originally Posted by swift
    Huh?

Using different gauge spokes in the same wheel is not an indication of good quality. ...Nor does changing up the cross pattern mid-wheel.

I've not doubt Dave makes some good wheels but I bet he'll be scratching his head if he comes across this thread.
    Years and years ago like when Zap Espinosa still ran a mtn bike magazine, Dave Thomas was THE top wheelbuilder of the time. So I knew the reputation and always looked closely at his wheelsets (people who i have ridden with for years) and perused wheels of other riders I don't know that well. Yes he mixes spoke gauges from side to side or front and back. For a clyde friend (and destroyer of wheelsets) he went 2-cross on the non-disk side front wheel and alternated the lead and trail spoke crosses all head in, those wheels have stayed perfected for over 3 years now.

Amateur builders like me tend to play it safe by using all the same spokes and all 3-cross patterns, I just found his wheels to be interesting..

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I've owned two different pairs of Dave's wheels, one road and one mtb. I beat the snot out of them and was never able to knock them out of true. And I'm 220 after a sauna and a grunt in the can. He's the man, and super nice, too. FWIW, I don't believe he mixes cross patterns or gauges on the same side of a wheel, but for instance he might do 3x with one gauge on the disc side (for strength) and 2x with a different gauge on the non-disc side (for weight savings). The different gauges work to even out the tension between the different cross patterns, I believe. Don't quote me on that specifically. All I know is he just has some voodoo tricks, and they work darn well. I only wish I'd opted for tubeless rims back then, or I'd probably still be riding those wheels.

Good to know you are still rolling on his builds.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have 2 pairs myself. Niether have needed to be trued. My stans rims have some dents and they won't seal anymore but they are still fine with tubes. I just landed a set of un-used Industry 9 ultralights on craigslist for 400 bucks so we will see how they compare. If you think Dave Thomas makes great wheels you should try his hamburgers.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I have 2 pairs myself. Niether have needed to be trued. My stans rims have some dents and they won't seal anymore but they are still fine with tubes. I just landed a set of un-used Industry 9 ultralights on craigslist for 400 bucks so we will see how they compare. If you think Dave Thomas makes great wheels you should try his hamburgers.

How did we go from perfectly built round wheels to square hamburgers at Wendys?

At Work
    Wendy's you fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by swift
    Huh?

I doubt he will ever see this thread since Dave doesn't own/use a computer....which is why he requires you to call him verses e-mail. BTW, his wheels rock.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I doubt he will ever see this thread since Dave doesn't own/use a computer....which is why he requires you to call him verses e-mail. BTW, his wheels rock.
    He has a web site. By the way the Industry 9 ultralights were lighter but they are sold as a race day wheel. They required re-tensioning after every ride and came out of true on every ride. Race day wheels or not I expected better. My speed dreams went right back on and the I-9's are gone.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    I'm half your weight, and Dave used radial on my non-drive and 2cross on the drive. My husband was freaked out when I got 'em 'cause he said I need to keep too many different size spokes around, but I think i only broke one over the years.

Recently I bought some Crossmax because they were flashy and i got a 1/2 price deal on them, but they are no better than Daves, and no lighter.

At Work
    Crossmax = Overrated.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Dave now has a Facebook page! I kinda had to twist his arm a little but he finally caved in.
    Like his page...I'm sure he'll soon be posting some really cool stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daves...16725715014972