Rider of the Faith

D521 stronger than EX 721?? or my LBS on crack?

I am building a new wheelset..... I wanted Ex 721`s laced to Hadleys. I ordered BLACK rims the same time I ordered my hubs. 1 month later my hubs are finally in.....but now my LBS is saying that the distributor has no black 721 in stock and that they are sitting on a bunch of grey rims they want to get rid of BEFORE ordering any black ones. Make matters worse, the old grey rims are the same price as the new black ones. He then shows me a pic of some old D321`s and tells me they are dark grey like that. I can`t find any pics of dark grey 721`s nor the older D521`s. On top of that, the LBS says that the D521`s are stronger.
    I gotta ask you guys....
    1. Are there dark grey D521`s?
    2. Are 521`s stronger than 721`s?
    3. Is it possible that the LBS wants to rip me off to buy more crack?

I am in Japan so this might make a difference but I doubt it.

Thanx for any input.

filthy ape
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    I am building a new wheelset..... I wanted Ex 721`s laced to Hadleys. I ordered BLACK rims the same time I ordered my hubs. 1 month later my hubs are finally in.....but now my LBS is saying that the distributor has no black 721 in stock and that they are sitting on a bunch of grey rims they want to get rid of BEFORE ordering any black ones. Make matters worse, the old grey rims are the same price as the new black ones. He then shows me a pic of some old D321`s and tells me they are dark grey like that. I can`t find any pics of dark grey 721`s nor the older D521`s. On top of that, the LBS says that the D521`s are stronger.
    I gotta ask you guys....
    1. Are there dark grey D521`s?
    2. Are 521`s stronger than 721`s?
    3. Is it possible that the LBS wants to rip me off to buy more crack?

I am in Japan so this might make a difference but I doubt it.

Thanx for any input.

1. Yes, there are dark grey D521rims. They are the CD hard anodized model that were basically replaced in the Mavic lineup by new model designations,etc.(updated?). It's a nice, strong rim that also has braking tracks that allow rim brake to be used. It's a very durable finish compared to the now cheaper black ano version. A fine, durable rim to this day. I've owned a few sets over the years and they've been bulletproof for me.

2 .Debatable. Disc specific, material placement, etc.

3. I just think they are trying to rid themselves of an older model rim (product). They should be willing to lower the price somewhat as it is a discontinued model. Still a great rim though, I prefer the CD hard ano finish myself. Some of the D521 models did develop stress cracks near the eyelets over time. I'm unaware if this has been resolved on newer versions. See if they'd be willing to budge on the price somewhat, hardly an unreasonable request.

4. The D321 rims are a little stronger and heavier as well, 675g vs 590g. CD ano finish was also available in addition to the silver version.

I'm sure there are a few other people more knowledgable about these rims that can offer up some more info and advice.

p.s. The CD ano was an upcharge vs the black or silver ano versions if I remember right.
    Last edited by Duh-luth; 10-21-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Chillin the Most
    If I remember correctly the EX721 is the same as the D521 & the EX729 replaced the D321.

1) Yes there are dark grey d521's, I have one on my XC bike. It's ceramic coated, supposed to be better for rim brakes, I use disc so who knows, and to make the rim stronger.

2) I would guess the strength is about equal really. The 521/721 is the same rim I believe they use to make the DeeMax with.

3) Doubtful, they probably just want to sell off old stock. Personally I would not hesitate to buy the 521's, especially if I'm getting a discount and I would ask for a discount since they are older stock.

Here's a pic...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    2) I would guess the strength is about equal really. The 521/721 is the same rim I believe they use to make the DeeMax with.
    No, the DeeMax uses the EX823 rim (or a variation of it). UST, not a standard type rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Rider of the Faith
    Thank you all for your replies.Its just wierd that I can see Black and silver rims on all the websites but my LBS says they are unavailable.

Hey RED5... in that pic the grey looks like the same color as yor tyre...how close are they?

filthy ape
    Oct 2005
    Musashi,

The rim is a dark grey (graphite) color, similar to the older XTR color. The finish is somewhat glossy instead of the usual flat apppearance of ano. I have found the CD ano to be less scratch prone compared to normal ano finish rims.
    Last edited by Duh-luth; 10-22-2007 at 07:46 AM.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    Thank you all for your replies.Its just wierd that I can see Black and silver rims on all the websites but my LBS says they are unavailable.

Hey RED5... in that pic the grey looks like the same color as yor tyre...how close are they?
    VERY, VERY, VERY close.