mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Custom wheelset questions

Hi All:

I'd like to get some feedback on this build. Bike is a 2012 Giant Anthem X4 29er FS. Rider is 165 lbs. Terrain is mainly loose over hardpack and fire roads.

Rims - BHS TL450 or Stans Crest
    Hubs - Novatec D711SB (front), Novatec D712SB (rear)
    Spokes - Sapim Laser (2.0-1.5-2.0) or Sapim Race (2.0-1.8-2.0)
    Nipples - Brass

Since this is a dual squish bike, can I get away with a lower spoke count? Initially I was thinking 28h laced 3x up front and 32h laced 3x in the rear.

If I go with Crest rims, I'll have lighter rims but will need to run 32/32. With the TL450s, the rims are heavier, but a lot cheaper, and possibly I could go 28/28 ?

Thanks,
    Bob

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bobonker View Post
    Hi All:

I'd like to get some feedback on this build. Bike is a 2012 Giant Anthem X4 29er FS. Rider is 165 lbs. Terrain is mainly loose over hardpack and fire roads.

Rims - BHS TL450 or Stans Crest
    Hubs - Novatec D711SB (front), Novatec D712SB (rear)
    Spokes - Sapim Laser (2.0-1.5-2.0) or Sapim Race (2.0-1.8-2.0)
    Nipples - Brass

Since this is a dual squish bike, can I get away with a lower spoke count? Initially I was thinking 28h laced 3x up front and 32h laced 3x in the rear.

If I go with Crest rims, I'll have lighter rims but will need to run 32/32. With the TL450s, the rims are heavier, but a lot cheaper, and possibly I could go 28/28 ?

Thanks,
    Bob
    I'd go with the lighter rim, higher spoke count build. It'll be stiffer, more durable, and you'll be in better shape if you break a spoke in a crash or something. A 32 spoke wheel missing one spoke will go out of true much less than a 28 spoke wheel. Also, cutting 4 spokes will save less than 30g per wheel. I don't see any reason why you would use fewer spokes on a DS bike than a HT. DS is typically driven harder through rough terrain than a HT, and DS bikes have less stiffness than a HT, so you don't want to start cutting stiffness out of the wheels.

Unless you live near the ocean or will ride salted roads in the winter I'd go with alloy nipples instead of brass. They'll save you about 22g per wheel. Just make sure your spokes are long enough.

I'd use the heavier guage spokes (1.8mm center section).

mtbpete
    Note, the BHS TL450 rim will work best with UST tires and the Stan's rim works best with tube-type and some tubeless ready tires. You cannot fit a UST 29er tire on the Crest 29er rim. The Crest rim is a higher quality rim in terms of building with uniform spoke tension, but the BHS TL450 will probably be a little more dent resistant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great feedback, guys. Thanks!

I'm considering buying a pre-built set of Stan's Crest 29er wheels. Assembling myself would only save me about $50, but it would be fun. The pre-built wheels seem to have a pretty good reputation. My only concern is the alloy nipples. I don't live in a humid area, but it's not uncommon for me to ride through water.

Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    think of building/buying a AM/Enduro wheelset for a 26" AMhardtail, looked at Americian Classic AM wheelset looks good but is it as good as it looks :P? Or the most $/weight/strength and good homemade combo ZTR Flow EX with Hope Pro II hubs or can I go with Americian classic hubs?

Those bladed/aero spokes looks pretty slick, but are they strong enough for harder riding compared to normal spokes?

Thanks in advance