mtbr member

Custom built wheelset benefits

My Pivot Mach 5 currently has Easton EA 90 XC wheels. they are light and roll well. I have been thinking about a custom built wheelset upgrade for a while though, probably Arch EX rims with Hope or I9 hubs. Other than the ability to run bigger tires, is there really any benefit for a 120lb rider ? I dont race, and like to ride technical trails. thanks

mtbpete
    You can certainly get a custom wheelset built lighter with the Arch EX rims and I9 Torch hubs. The quality of a custom build should always be excellent.

mtbr member
    If it ain't broke...

The EA90 wheelset is very nice, so unless you're having problems with it I don't see a reason to upgrade. 1560g, UST, optional axle types...seems like a great wheelset. The only thing I could think of is if you're wanting to run big tires maybe a wider rim(21-23mm) might be desireable. Of course, the bling factor on a custom Chris King/Hope and Arch EX wheelset would be nice.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I personally build my own wheels. The idea for this is I get to have essentially all the pros I choose and limiting the amount of cons.

Pros of a great wheel? Everyone's got a different list. I want wide, light, strong rims. I want light but not insane spokes. I want light, smooth running hubs that require very little maintenance and quick engagement for trail riding.

Cons? Price. I am willing to give up a little weight penalty for increased reliability. Also willing to put up with a little more drag for reliability and quick engagement.

If you've got decent wheels and you like them, then I don't see any real advantage. If you see shortcomings, then you can upgrade what you have or build a new, complete set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I weigh about the same as you and have a Mach 5.7. I used to have a high end dt Swiss wheel set but switched to a custom wheel set based on the light bicycle carbon rims and am very happy. Barely more expensive than aluminum yet much better. They are so much stiffer you really notice it. They are great.

mtbr member
    If you've got working wheels, and can't think of something specific you want the new wheels to do (i.e., wider rim, higher engagement, different axle type... all reasons I might go with custom wheels) I don't see a reason to do the "upgrade"

in other words, if you just want something to be "better" but don't know what would make it better, it's unlikely you'd end up with better wheels, just different.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the responses ! yeah the benefits for me would be wider rims and stiffer wheels (if i would even notice it at 120lbs). plus the bling factor is definitely cool. i would love to have some green hubs. hope gunsmoke would be second choice

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

You will notice it at 120lbs if your Easton rims are anything like the dt xr400.

I have lb wider carbon rims 28h front and rear
    Extralite hyper front (78g)
    Dt240s rear with 36pt engagement (228g)
    Spaim cxray spokes
    Spaim polyax nipples

Light weight, stiff, durable, reliable, rolls great, super easy to setup tubeless.

mtbr member
    I am definitely going to start saving for a new wheelset. I9 green or hope gunsmoke ? Decisions decisions...