Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cushcore Kit Review

I'm just going to open this thread up for myself and other to leave their opinions on this system.

I bought the kit directly from Cushcore. They shipped very quickly and answered an email I sent about valve stem length quickly as well. They were offering 35mm stems but have since switched to 55mm stems in all kits.

The kit arrived in just a couple days and when I unboxed the nice package and inside was instructions, decals, invoice, cushcores and stems. The stems are literally Stan's 55mm stems with slots cut into the bottom of them. Now that I know this I can simply replace my stems (if needed) by using a cutoff wheels and any stem I choose.

I am waiting for my wheels to arrive so I can give anyone a ride review but I think this will be a really cool product if it works as advertised. I like lower pressures, I break wheels when I do, so my fingers are crossed that this will be the answer I'm looking for.

I'm with stupid
    Just wondering, why the choice of a lighter tire and cush core instead of a more beefy casing tire like a super gravity or DD or Grid tire? same weight and a tougher tire all around. Or are you blowing up wheels with a Dual ply tire already?

mtbr member
    My question would be if it eliminates tire squirm at lower pressures? Say below 25 psi 2.35 rear tire on a 30mm id rim.

If it does as reported we may have something here.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Alright, I will not be getting my new wheel set in time for the race (that I don't plan on winning by a long shot) so I decided to install the system in my old wheel set. The wheels are a LB 38mm (32.6mm ID) front and an Ibis 938 rear. The reason for the 938 rear is I destroyed the LB38 a couple years back. I was dinging wheels pretty regularly on my old E29er because I just ran too low of pressure on the terrain and speeds I was riding. I have never ran into a problem in the front but the rear... I am an abuser.

I'm about 210lbs kitted and have been running the Geax Goma 2.4 TNT for quite some time now. I love the traction around 24-25psi but I have to run at bare minimum 27 to get away with the rocky chunk of Tucson. Anything lower than 23 and I start to feel some squirm.

About the install... HOLY MOTHER OF PEARLS what a PIA. I had all the recommended materials and equipment to get this thing done according to CushCore. But in the end it just takes brute force and curse words. An extra set of hands would have been gold.
    In the end what I found easiest for me was to install the tire and seat the bead. Break the bead on one side and peel the tire off. I used a rake with a rubber handle on the end to stand on and pin the wheel to the ground with the CushCore in the rim. From the bottom of one side I worked the foam up and around with a load of hand force until I was able to get the CushCore around the rim.Then the REAL fun began. It was painful to get the tire bead into the spoke channel to get the bead over the lip. And the Geax tires are tight to start with. Loads of sweating, cursing, and soapy water was used to get the tire on. There was no way to put sealant in there before hand with out making a huge mess so I installed the Orange Seal through the valve stem. I guess we will see how that works out.

I don't care too much about weight. My bike, an Evil Wreckoning, is no weight weeny so I don't care if it slows me down a bit. I'm never going to win a race so for me its all about fun within my abilities. I find a softer tire much more enjoyable.

I'll report back after this weekend and again after a month or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Jesus, that alone puts me off!

mtbr member
    I just put mine on yesterday. 38mm Noble 27.5 rims. I used a zip tie on one end of the Cushcore and worked my way around. Installed in less than a minute. The tires were another story. I used 3 tire levers. 2 metal ones and 1 Crankbrothers Speedier Lever. Use the hook side to hold the bead in place then use the metal levers to pry onto rim. Plastic lever are useless. Also use lots of lube. More the better. I was indoors, so my wife would have killed me if I had anymore more soapy water everywhere

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have been running CC f/r in my Wrecker for better than a month now. My gf is running it in the rear of her Wrecker.

Story line looks something like this:

I migrated to DD casing on Maxxis tires to eliminate squirm and the need to reduce stoopid high pressures. That DD also adds a bit of sidewall protection was a bonus. Started racing last year...the speed difference between play riding and riding for time had me exploding carbon hoops, even up to 38 psi on the rear (I am 215lbs before breakfast tacos). My strategy was one of rim protection, CC seemed to be the most robust offering. In the process, I dropped DD casings, theorizing that the outward pressure of the CC would help with sidewall protection. Net weight gain is about 60g per end. Been running CC f/r for about 6 weeks now from bike park to chunky enduro lines, while i continue to drop pressure. I have had some impacts where I am wincing from the cockpit in anticipation of a rim strike...there is thud, but nothing like the blood curdling sound of a rock on carbon strike.

Having a moto background and changing 18" rear tires, CC is no sweat to install. Step #1, pick up your shop levers, and hide them. They are useless. Step #2, find some steel core tire levers. Step #3, get a 5 gallon bucket to work on as a tire stand.

I can have standard and non DD casing tires on/off in about 5 minutes, no swearing involved, and way faster than a moto tire.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    My question would be if it eliminates tire squirm at lower pressures? Say below 25 psi 2.35 rear tire on a 30mm id rim.

If it does as reported we may have something here.
    It does pretty well. The shape provides a fair amount of sidewall support.

I posted about it in the tire insert thread, but I've ridden down 2/3 of a DH park trail on a flat rear with CC. It worked just fine until I got overconfident and cornered hard enough to peel the bead off.

mtbr member
    If you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS... I put cushcore in my Flow MK3 with a DHF EXO with only my hands. No levers. Use lube and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Wire bead DH casing tires are a different story, but they always suck.
    Instagram

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    If you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS... I put cushcore in my Flow MK3 with a DHF EXO with only my hands. No levers. Use lube and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Wire bead DH casing tires are a different story, but they always suck.
    how are you forcing the bead under the CC and into the valley without a tire lever? at the 2min mark in the instructional video it specifically illustrates using a tire lever to force the bead under the CC and into the valley of the rim.....

for me, i eliminate the rollining it under with my hands step and go straight to forcing the bead down into the valley with the back end of a tire lever....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    how are you forcing the bead under the CC and into the valley without a tire lever? at the 2min mark in the instructional video it specifically illustrates using a tire lever to force the bead under the CC and into the valley of the rim.....

for me, i eliminate the rollining it under with my hands step and go straight to forcing the bead down into the valley with the back end of a tire lever....
    I installed the cushcore, seated one half of bead by pushing it on getting it to the center of the rim (between the rim and CC). Poured sealant in the tire at this point (I Lubed the heck out of the tire inside and out and the cushcore). Getting the tire completely on I just worked around and when it got tight I went to the opposite side of the wheel and other side of tire and made sure that part of the tire was in the middle of the rim. Doing this the bead popped on with very little effort. Follow the directions exactly and use a lot of lube. I have CC in both my enduro bike and my big bike now. DD casing and true DH casing is much more difficult. EXO was easy.
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I installed the cushcore, seated one half of bead by pushing it on getting it to the center of the rim (between the rim and CC). Poured sealant in the tire at this point (I Lubed the heck out of the tire inside and out and the cushcore). Getting the tire completely on I just worked around and when it got tight I went to the opposite side of the wheel and other side of tire and made sure that part of the tire was in the middle of the rim. Doing this the bead popped on with very little effort. Follow the directions exactly and use a lot of lube. I have CC in both my enduro bike and my big bike now. DD casing and true DH casing is much more difficult. EXO was easy.
    Interesting. I found little difference between EXO and DD casings, both were super easy. Wire bead, I could see that being a bit more of a challenge....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    Interesting. I found little difference between EXO and DD casings, both were super easy. Wire bead, I could see that being a bit more of a challenge....
    Weird. I have DH casing on the rear of my big bike (27.5) and a DD front. On my Enduro 29 I have DH casing rear and EXO front.
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    CushCore experiment continues to be trouble free. Was actually thinking about weight gain/loss.

+260g x 2 (Cushcore itself)
    -200g x 2 (moving to EXO from DD)
    -200g x 1 (not carrying tube any longer, still carrying plug kit)
    520g - 600g = net -80g of weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the real question is: how do you feel about the way it rides?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    That's a good question, and one I may not be able to answer. I changed so many things at once. First was I moved over to the Push spring for my fox 36 at the same time as I cracked a(nother) carbon hoop. I immediately started over inflating (even w/ cush core) to limp a set of hoops along until I got a new set built. The new set are we are 1. Now I've gone back down to (below) reasonable pressure (26f/28r) and I haven't thought about feel at all....everything feels dialed. Is it the ACS3? Is it Cush? Is it We Are 1? Is it placebo? Not sure.....but traction and feel have been next level.
    Last edited by tdc_worm; 10-17-2017 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^ this much is clear- you throw a boat load of money at your bike/s haha.

beater
    The reported effect of damping out small high frequency chatter is real. It's pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    do you feel that it enhances the quality of your ride? do you ride faster as a result?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I installed them on my hardtail running minion ss front and peyote rear tire. I weight 155lbs and was running 24/27 psi. Even at 27psi I was still folding tire in corning and bottoming out lightly every once in a while (cracked my rim) but any higher and its a rough ride. Im a fairly aggressive rider.

Am now running 20/22psi with cushcore and the ride is just so much better. Tire does not fold in corners at all, ride is much smoother which is appreciated on a hardtail, and the ride really does feel damped! It's strange at first.

Can tell the bike keeps its speed/has lower rolling resistance in high frequency/low amplitude terrain(think roots/braking bumps) and there is a also better control at limit of cornering traction. You do feel the added weight though but it is completely worth it for me.

So much so that my full suspension with significantly more travel feel like it can only absorb mid and large amplitude bumps and am now looking forward to get it installed there as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone interested in splitting a set of 27.5"? I only need this in the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Anyone interested in splitting a set of 27.5"? I only need this in the rear.
    You can buy individuals.

CushCore Single ‚ÄĒ CushCore

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    do you feel that it enhances the quality of your ride? do you ride faster as a result?
    for me, yes, but its hard to say what percentage is attributable to fork vs CC vs WR1 wheelbuilds. but i also train my ass off and i practice drills and do clinics. i get faster every ride, but there are so many ingredients in the which's brew that its hard to isolate one out. bottom line, is I am realizing that I don't think about rough any more....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    for those concerned with ease of mount and removal of tires, while the initial fitment is super tight, the Cush Core does stretch, to some degree, making subsequent tire changes easier and easier.

mtbr member
    Just finished mounting up some Cushcore; holy $%*! shit that was hard! Getting the cushcore on was bad, but mounting the tires was. I have 35i mm asymmetric rims, and the long side of the rim was ridiculously hard. Getting the tire bead in the center channel is key, but I found it really difficult to do this because the cushcore kept pushing it out of the channel.

After about 45 mins, I finally got the first tire mounted, only to realize that I mounted the tire backwards. Unbelievable! Removing the tire was also quite difficult, but the video instructions on the CC website made it possible.

Hoping to get a shakedown ride in tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by croakies View Post
    I installed them on my hardtail running minion ss front and peyote rear tire. I weight 155lbs and was running 24/27 psi. Even at 27psi I was still folding tire in corning and bottoming out lightly every once in a while (cracked my rim) but any higher and its a rough ride. Im a fairly aggressive rider.

Am now running 20/22psi with cushcore and the ride is just so much better. Tire does not fold in corners at all, ride is much smoother which is appreciated on a hardtail, and the ride really does feel damped! It's strange at first.

Can tell the bike keeps its speed/has lower rolling resistance in high frequency/low amplitude terrain(think roots/braking bumps) and there is a also better control at limit of cornering traction. You do feel the added weight though but it is completely worth it for me.

So much so that my full suspension with significantly more travel feel like it can only absorb mid and large amplitude bumps and am now looking forward to get it installed there as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I suspect running 20/22 vs 24/27 is because you have nearly half the air chamber now:

Name:  3D--Cobra.png
Views: 2413
Size:  54.3 KB

It's like adding tokens to your tire is it not? Running 24/27 with CC would feel much more harsh than without I would suspect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anyone go really low with pressures, like 10-15 psi?

mtbr member
    I'm interested in hearing more opinions regarding ride quality with the cushcore, as well whether people run them front and rear.

Thanks
    E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have had my Cush Core inserts for 6 months . Cush Core installed them for me in Oregon on my Remedy 27.5. I couldn't tell a huge difference , the side wall support may have helped some in the corners, ride quality was not a huge difference either. A couple of days ago I needed to change my front tire so this was my first attempt to take off the tire and put a new tire on. It was a major PIA ass to break the bead I almost gave up and cut the tire. Bontrager rims are hard enough to break the bead with no Cush Core. So I put the new tire on with out the Cush Core to see if I could really tell a big difference . After a few rides it was not a huge difference in ride quality or cornering , there was a difference but not huge.On one rocky decent I could feel less cushion but I will repeat not a huge difference. Today I needed to put a new tire on the rear. I thought I would be a bit better at breaking the bead since I did the first one a few weeks ago. NO Way , I ended up cutting the tire off. My take on these Cush Cores is if your a racer and you need every bit of edge on your competition this may help. If your an average rider like me the hassles you may encounter with set up and installing new tires and not to mention trying to fix a flat on the trail forget it. Its just not worth it for me . I could use my plug kit to repair a flat on the trail , If I had to put a tube in it with the Cush Cores I would just try and ride it out flat. I have to add I may not be the best at reviewing products just my feed back. Anyone want to buy these they are for sale with Valve stems 27.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    Anyone want to buy these they are for sale with Valve stems 27.5
    Mark, thanks for the information. Very informative.
    E

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    I have had my Cush Core inserts for 6 months . Cush Core installed them for me in Oregon on my Remedy 27.5. I couldn't tell a huge difference , the side wall support may have helped some in the corners, ride quality was not a huge difference either.
    That's interesting especially because your experience is quite different than mine.
    I find the ride with cushcore to be significantly different than without. The first descent I did I thought I was on the wrong trail because it seemed so much smoother than I remembered. For me, there is a definite increase in the feeling of traction and a less harsh ride when hitting things at speed.

It does seem to make the bike a bit more sluggish though. I put in a faster and lighter tire but the sensation remained. It could be the weight of the insert but I think its partly to do with how the insert feels. Its weird. I both really like it and don't. You can feel the insert in every pedal stroke. It feels like you put a giant foam donut in your rear tire. Which you did.

I am not afraid of changing tires with it. Yes the first tire (a DHF) was challenging. But it was good practice and now its barely harder than installing a tire without the insert. I put in a Ground Control grid with just my hands recently, no levers.

I just have it in the rear for now but I'm curious to try in the front eventually.

mtbr member
    Thanks ac1000!

mtbr member
    I also found a fairly different in ride quality pre/post cushcore. I initially set-up the tires at 5 psi less than I usually do per Cushcore recommendations. The trail chatter was substantially reduced and traction was much increased. It made my 2.3 tires feel like plus tires, but more precise when cornering. However, it felt really sluggish, which I attributed to the added weight of the cushcore. Next I played around with tire pressure, and settled on 1-2 psi less than what I ran before cushcore. Now, I don't notice them feeling sluggish (though I'm usually not very sensitive to weight), but they still mute the trail chatter well, and feel great when cornering hard. So I think the sluggish feeling had more to do with the pressure being too low and the tires dragging from too much rolling resistance.

They were really hard to install, and I don't even carry a spare tube anymore because there is no way I'd be able to take off the tire and put in a tube trailside. I saw a youtube video of someone who rode a rooty trail fairly aggressively with a flat tire and just rode it out on the cushcore and it was fine.

One of the primary benefits for me is the rim protection. I'm no longer worried about dinging my rims, and removing that anxiety makes the ride much more enjoyable.

I think if you are sensitive to weight gains, cushcore probably isn't for you. If you are sensitive to trail chatter, find low pressure tires squirmy in the corners, or are constantly worrying about rim damage, CC is a worthwhile purchase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a question about the valve stems. What is special about them exactly? Is there any reason you couldn't run something else?

mtbr member
    Thanks Sid!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I have a question about the valve stems. What is special about them exactly? Is there any reason you couldn't run something else?
    The foam pushes down on the top of the valve. So the valves they supply have holes on the side to let air and sealant in.
    I don't have their valves and used my E13 valve with a cross hatch cut on the top.
    I suspect that a normal unmodified valve would work. Just might be a little harder pumping up the tire if anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Cool, thanks. I've got e13 valves as well. Can I ask how deep of a channel did you cut into them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Cool, thanks. I've got e13 valves as well. Can I ask how deep of a channel did you cut into them?
    I can't remember exactly but more or less halfway down the angled part with a hacksaw.
    It works well enough.

mtbr member
    Hereís a pic of the valve:

Cushcore Kit Review-img_5620.jpgCushcore Kit Review-img_5621.jpg

I'm with stupid
    Bump up. Any more reviews or thoughts on these? I just picked up a set from a friend but did not get valves so I have not installed them yet. One guy I talked to said they were effected by the colder weather quite a bit, anyone finding that?

mtbr member
    I've only got a few rides in on mine (winter finally arrived in Boise). Love the cornering, but I'm not sure if it's worth the weight penalty or bloody knuckles with installation.

This place needs an enema
    Becoming more and more curious about these.

Have read ad infinitum how difficult they are to install. Not by all, but by many.

What happens when you inevitably trash a tire and need to both boot it and stick in a tube, trailside? Is that even possible?

Not suggesting this will happen often. But inevitably it will. What then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Becoming more and more curious about these.

Have read ad infinitum how difficult they are to install. Not by all, but by many.

What happens when you inevitably trash a tire and need to both boot it and stick in a tube, trailside? Is that even possible?

Not suggesting this will happen often. But inevitably it will. What then?
    I just don't think these are very hard to work with.
    Yes, the first time was a bitch.
    But after that I figured it out and its now not much harder than without.
    I need a tire lever to open the tire off but I dont absolutely need a tire lever to put on a new tire with cushcore most of the time. Just really really follow the directions. If you are usuing brute force you're probably doing it wrong.

The scenario you're describing sounds like no big deal.

Just open the tire with a lever, take out the cushcore, strap it to your backpack or maybe bandolier it. Put in tube.

Or you can actually ride a totally flat tire with cushcore in. Not ideal but I did it once when I wasnt far from my car.

beater
    I've ridden out of a bike park on a flat CushCore setup. I haven't tried tire plugs yet, but I probably would have been able to plug the tire and reinflate. Lesson for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I've ridden out of a bike park on a flat CushCore setup. I haven't tried tire plugs yet, but I probably would have been able to plug the tire and reinflate. Lesson for this season.

I've got a practical doctorate in plugging, patching, and sewing in the backcountry. Shit happens, we adapt.

But sometimes there's just no way to plug or patch -- like a ripped sidewall. And you can't always just coast down to the parking lot.

Is it really that big of a deal to remove the bead on one side and stick in a tube? Do you just leave the cush in there when running a tube? Will the bead easily re-seat with a mini-pump if you've still got a few days of riding til you get back home (or to a shop)?

mtbr member
    1. The cushcore becomes more pliable over time. However, I would never say that they are "easy" to remove/install
    2. No way I can see to install a tube with cc in place. The cc covers the valve stem.

beater
    I donít see how a tube would work with the insert. You couldnít instal it above the insert because the valve stem wouldnít be long enough. You couldnít fit it underneath because of the fit, even though the insert stretches a little. I think youíd be looking at taking it out. Expedition rides might not be the ideal application for it.

I donít see how a tube would work with the insert. You couldnít instal it above the insert because the valve stem wouldnít be long enough. You couldnít fit it underneath because of the fit, even though the insert stretches a little. I think youíd be looking at taking it out. Expedition rides might not be the ideal application for it.
    Thanks for this.

Could a valve extender on a tube work -- at least for local riding?

beater
    Thanks for this.

Iím not sure- Iíve never needed to look into a valve extender so Iím not familiar with them. Youíd also need an awl or similar to poke a hole through the insert since theyíre solid. The included valve stem allows air to flow in underneath the insert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Is it really that big of a deal to remove the bead on one side and stick in a tube? Do you just leave the cush in there when running a tube? Will the bead easily re-seat with a mini-pump if you've still got a few days of riding til you get back home (or to a shop)?
    Popping the bead is harder with the cushcore in but not that hard. You just gotta push the entire bead into the center of the rim, and massage the tire slack all to one side just like you do on installation.
    Then Pedro's tire lever will do it.

Iím not sure- Iíve never needed to look into a valve extender so Iím not familiar with them. Youíd also need an awl or similar to poke a hole through the insert since theyíre solid. The included valve stem allows air to flow in underneath the insert.
    The valve extender would probably work. I'm pretty sure you could push a valve through the foam without too much trouble without a special tool.

But messing around with all that would probably be more trouble than just taking out the cushcore, strapping it to your pack, and putting in a normal tube.

mtbr member
    From the cushcore website FAQ:

What if I get a flat?

CushCore provides the highest level of protection against flat tires, but nevertheless a flat tire is still possible. While CushCore is not intended to be a run-flat tire, it is possible to "limp home" short distances with significantly reduced risk of rim damage. Otherwise, we recommend using the same approach riders use with standard tubeless. Carry a lightweight inner tube with a long (48mm) valve stem as a backup. You may either (1) install the tube circumferential around the CushCore and force the air valve directly through the insert and rim valve hole, or (2) remove the CushCore and replace it with the inner tube.

I'm a lightweight at 145lbs, so I'd be totally comfortable riding on a flat tire, but if I were a clyde, that might not be the case.

I'm with stupid
    I put mine in last night and got my first ride in today.
    Lets start with install......I'm really at a loss here, I prepped the fridge to do a 3 beer job and walk away and cuss and throw things. Well none of that happened. The install took less than 2 mins more a wheel than normal swap. I am running maxxis 2.5 tires and specialized roval fattie sl. It was really a walk in the park for me. Even that last few inches was quite painless I just made sure to squeeze the tire enough that the bead slid down inside the rim bed and no problems.

On the trail, I didnt notice the weight too much. It was wet and soggy on the climbs today so it was a slow grind of a day anyways. Might kiss my butt later but for now it seems to be a non issue. I did however notice the dampening, I have never one product change the way the bike soaks up chatter this much before. Sure a new shock feels "better" but not even close to how much these stupid pieces of foam changed the bike for the better. I really like them on square embedded rocks when hit at speed. So far all good things with this product. More updates to come if I have anything to add other than a glowing review.

mtbr member

Cushcore Kit Review

Another perspective, one that I share...

https://youtu.be/MEqohbAsNrU

Robertson
    For those running cushcore, are you using front and rear or just rear?

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Both.

I'm with stupid
    Both as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ear_ache View Post
    Another perspective, one that I share...

https://youtu.be/MEqohbAsNrU

And here's Phil's latest thoughts on it:
    https://youtu.be/Z3326Pd1Pio

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    And here's Phil's latest thoughts on it:
    ...I'm not there yet... It is encouraging that others feel the hassle factor is worth the performance gain.

mtbr member
    After 5 months, zero flats, no dings or broken wheels. PSI at 23. I ride lots of chunk and ride it fast.

https://youtu.be/Pnt3YbJHm_A

mtbr member

I agree with every word.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cushcore is the real deal.
    I did not do the original installation but recently had to swap in a new tire. and then broke the valve stem and had to swap it again. The hardest part was breaking the bead of the tire. once that was done, following the instructions on the cushcore video was easy. First time it took me 15 min. rounds 2 & 3 (spare valve troubles...) I removed/installed in 5 minutes or less each time.

FWIW, after 7 months on my bike the cushcore is now quite stretched and loose around the rim. I would imagine that if it was a new tight fit that it would be harder but with lube, doable.

mtbr member
    I have been running Ghetto Cushcore for a while now with good success. Its been providing great rim protection for less than $10 a wheel and only weighs around 150 grams. Its 1/2 "pipe insulation with 1/2" drip irrigation tubing for extra impact protection.

I cut/make the drip irrigation tubing ring so that it fits tight around the rim (have to snap them on the rim), using 3/4" heat shrink tubing (not shown) to hold that together.

Probably not as good as Cushcore but its lighter, cheap, fairly easy to make and been providing great rim protection, some damping and some side wall support.

Cushcore Kit Review-rim-bangerz.jpg

Cushcore Kit Review-rim-bangerz1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for this.

If you carry a multi tool the phillips screwdriver can poke through it, and you could use a road bike tube, or just pack a large zip lock bag (there will be some sealant on it)and remove the cushcore.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    After 5 months, zero flats, no dings or broken wheels. PSI at 23. I ride lots of chunk and ride it fast.

https://youtu.be/Pnt3YbJHm_A
    EXO or DoubleDown casings?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    EXO or DoubleDown casings?
    I just installed a set F/R with DD casings. My first time using Cush Core, and not really a very big deal if you're deliberate. I did the rear first, it took about 20 min and the front took a little under 10 including removing the tire. I deviated from the instructions, which say to use a hammer or something to hold the rim down. I did it like I've done difficult tires for the past 25 years which is to get it started and then work away from myself. I had the already seated section against my chest, put the opposite side of the rim on my bench and just pushed the CC on. To seat the beads, I used a strap to hold the first section I popped on, and then just worked around the wheel using two tire levers...one to flip the bead over and another to push the already seated bead down into the channel while I was leveraging the first lever.

WAY easier than mounting a Heidenau K60 on the rear end of my 990 using only tire levers.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset Install was a pita, uninstall seems impossible.

I had a hell of time installing Cushcore on my Lightbike 38mm 27.5 rim with an Exo aggressor 2.3. Iím wondering if itís the thick Guerrilla tape I used on the rim. The tire now has a wobble that I canít completely fix...grrr! Worse yet, it seems impossible to remove the tire. The bead wonít push down into the channel, even with all my weight on the tire lever. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    1. Lots of soapy water and push the bead as close to the center of the rim as humanly possible. I like the Pedro levers.
    2. If you have a backup wheelset, then only spend an hour so at a time, then walk away for a beer break.
    3. Beer

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    I had a hell of time installing Cushcore on my Lightbike 38mm 27.5 rim with an Exo aggressor 2.3. Iím wondering if itís the thick Guerrilla tape I used on the rim. The tire now has a wobble that I canít completely fix...grrr! Worse yet, it seems impossible to remove the tire. The bead wonít push down into the channel, even with all my weight on the tire lever. Any ideas?
    sounds like someone needs to hit the gym more

Also, I second the suggestion for Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    sounds like someone needs to hit the gym more

Also, I second the suggestion for Beer
    Feel free to come over and try. Or try it on the LB rim on that poor Nomad wall ornament you have.

Bodhisattva
    Feel free to come over and try. Or try it on the LB rim on that poor Nomad wall ornament you have.
    you have soft coder's hands

mtbr member
    you have soft coder's hands
    Hilarious!

mtbr member
    Where are you at cytoe? I'm in Boise with plenty of beer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where are you at cytoe? I'm in Boise with plenty of beer!

I'll try bathing the tire in beer first. Or how about

Cushcore Kit Review-22077_700x700.jpg

mtbr member
    I'll try bathing the tire in beer first. Or how about

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22077_700x700.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	1191550
    It may come to that...
    I personally found CC a pain to install. Others on this thread seem to have the knack.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post

I agree with every word.

nice vid. his first install was pretty funny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You're right. It might be the tape. Are you using the trash can support method? I've now done a couple of install/removals and the first removal was the hardest, getting the tire to unseat over the "burp-bump." And probably not so much due to the cushcore. It took all my weight and a hand protector to first force the bead over the bump so I could then push it under the cushcore and pull the tire off like normal. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    1. Lots of soapy water and push the bead as close to the center of the rim as humanly possible. I like the Pedro levers.
    2. If you have a backup wheelset, then only spend an hour so at a time, then walk away for a beer break.
    3. Beer

Odd, I found that using no lube worked best. With the soapy water, I found that it was easier for the insert to push the bead back up.

Either way, the first install took over 4 hours. Second wheel took less than 15 minutes.

No ride time yet.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrakt51 View Post
    Either way, the first install took over 4 hours. Second wheel took less than 15 minutes.
    A week later, and Cytoe still hasn't completed his second install.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A week later, and Cytoe still hasn't completed his second install.
    I'm scared. I don't want to have to cut off 2 tires.

Class Clown
    I'd like to see CushCore 2.0 with patented easy install system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm scared. I don't want to have to cut off 2 tires.
    Just throw away the wheelset when its time to change the tires. I think thatís what CC had in mind when designing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrakt51 View Post
    Just throw away the wheelset when its time to change the tires. I think thatís what CC had in mind when designing.
    no joke. My last resort will be to decapitate the tire by cutting the side wall all the way around, which will allow me to pull the CC off.

Bodhisattva
    no joke. My last resort will be to decapitate the tire by cutting the side wall all the way around, which will allow me to pull the CC off.
    Please call me when you do that so I can take a video

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    update: the rear tire is still permanently on, but I did attack the front wheel with success! I replaced the guerilla tape with some 3M 8896 tape. Viola! easy install...sort of. The Slime Pro sealant kept clogging up the valve stem, which caused a slime volcano numerous times when I had to unclog it. what a f'ing mess. grr!!! changing to finish line next time.

mtbr member
    update: the rear tire is still permanently on, but I did attack the front wheel with success! I replaced the guerilla tape with some 3M 8896 tape. Viola! easy install...sort of. The Slime Pro sealant kept clogging up the valve stem, which caused a slime volcano numerous times when I had to unclog it. what a f'ing mess. grr!!! changing to finish line next time.
    Sorry cytoe. But misery does love company.

Hopefully the next few times get easier.

Bodhisattva
    Your technique is now perfected and should make your installation of Jason's cushcore a very pleasant experience. That seems like a good trade for him helping you install your wood floor, although I think the cushcore installation might require more effort.

Robertson
    I found the second install of cushcore much easier than the first wheel. As for getting it off, the hard part is popping the bead. What I do is take the screw ring off the valve stem, then push the valve stem up into the wheel to push the cushcore off the bead. This gives me some slack in the tire and I can then break the bead by hand

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    just an anecdote from today's ride. I got a 3/8" tear right at the bead on my Aggressor DD tire today and the Cush Core made it extremely difficult to use Dynaplugs to fix it. I'm not sure what exactly caused the flat and have to say that the CC did an amazing job of protecting the rim. In hindsight, I'm sure I was riding on a flat for at least 20 min because I was sliding all over a fast section of steep bench cut trail. On the protection front, I'm glad I have it installed as I'm certain I avoided destroying my Derby rim on at least one big hit. From a repair perspective, I'm a little bummed. Granted, it's a weird place to flat but the CC made it difficult to pull the tire back to even see the tear, let alone punch some plugs into it. The other slight downside is that I couldn't air it up with the Dynaplug air since the CO2 exit holes on the needle couldn't be pushed in far enough into the tire to air up.

One other interesting fact is that zero sealant came out of the slice, which was surprising to me since I put about 5oz of it in there a few weeks ago. I'm guessing the CC acts as a dam of sorts keeping the majority of the sealant in the air pocket.

mtbr member
    For anyone struggling to get cushcore installed water based personal lubricant is the key (even though my girlfriend was relentless with the jokes). It took maybe 5 minutes a wheel start to finish. Thin coat iniside the tire and on the insert. I put the tire on one side and the the insert in. The second side was similar to the way the tell you just way easier. The bead tucked under the insert in seconds and it only took 1 lever to pop it on. Havenít tried to remove it yet but Iím hoping a light coat of lube on by the bead helps it pop off. It barely takes longer that doing a tire without an insert. This guy covers the install but just in case you didnít see it...

How to install Cushcore in a little over 7 minutes per wheel (video)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... Not as bad as I thought

After reading this thread and other reviews I didn't find them that hard to install. No tricks, personal lube (), or metal levers. I just followed the instructions. Because I had a hard time finding the info I wrote it up in blog format if you're interested but there's no new information there. The whole processes took me roughly 20 minutes from taking the tire off my bike to putting it back on.

🗿 📄 ✂
    Viola! easy install...sort of.
    A Viola offers no benefit inside tires.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    After reading this thread and other reviews I didn't find them that hard to install. No tricks, personal lube (), or metal levers. I just followed the instructions. Because I had a hard time finding the info I wrote it up in blog format if you're interested but there's no new information there. The whole processes took me roughly 20 minutes from taking the tire off my bike to putting it back on.
    This is my experience as well. I have yet to truly get my ass kicked by cushcore like other have claimed ( knock on wood) I think the biggest thing that does not get enough "you must do" is getting the tire pushed down under the insert and into the channel of the rim. The tire goes on like butter once that happens but if you do not, it is like running backward though a corn field with a blind fold on.

mtbr member

Cushcore Kit Review

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    ...I think the biggest thing that does not get enough "you must do" is getting the tire pushed down under the insert and into the channel of the rim. The tire goes on like butter once that happens...
    +1

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    For anyone struggling to get cushcore installed water based personal lubricant is the key (even though my girlfriend was relentless with the jokes). It took maybe 5 minutes a wheel start to finish. Thin coat iniside the tire and on the insert. I put the tire on one side and the the insert in. The second side was similar to the way the tell you just way easier. The bead tucked under the insert in seconds and it only took 1 lever to pop it on. Havenít tried to remove it yet but Iím hoping a light coat of lube on by the bead helps it pop off. It barely takes longer that doing a tire without an insert. This guy covers the install but just in case you didnít see it...

How to install Cushcore in a little over 7 minutes per wheel (video)
    This video is what I followed. I used KY for the install. Worked great. 8-10 minutes/tire.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    just as a follow-up to this. I raced a super D last weekend and opted to change out my slashed rear Aggressor DD for a Shorty. I had a hell of a time getting the bead to unseat with a standard or even the steel core Park tire levers. I ended up using a Motion Pro Bead Pro tool from my motorbike kit to get the first bit of bead unseated and it was standard fare from there on. As others have said, the key is to push the bead under the insert. If you do that, it's easy to mount up the tire. To make it a bit easier, I use a strap to hold the bead under in one place while I work around the tire. It keeps the bead from walking back up onto the bead seat as you're trying to pull the bead over the rim elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    just as a follow-up to this. I raced a super D last weekend and opted to change out my slashed rear Aggressor DD for a Shorty. I had a hell of a time getting the bead to unseat with a standard or even the steel core Park tire levers. I ended up using a Motion Pro Bead Pro tool from my motorbike kit to get the first bit of bead unseated and it was standard fare from there on. As others have said, the key is to push the bead under the insert. If you do that, it's easy to mount up the tire. To make it a bit easier, I use a strap to hold the bead under in one place while I work around the tire. It keeps the bead from walking back up onto the bead seat as you're trying to pull the bead over the rim elsewhere.
    Today will be the first time trying to remove a tire, I did a new set of wheels last night and damaged the rim tape so air is coming out the spokes. Not looking forward to this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update. Out of desperation, I ordered the Motion Pro Bead Pro tool (thanks smudge!). This tool worked! There's no way I would have been able to get the tire off without this tool (besides cutting it off). The tire was practically glued to the rim; even bits of rubber from the tire bead remained adheared to the rim. My guess is the orange seal left overs or interaction from the Guerilla rim tape caused this. With lots of FU's and time, I cleaned the tire bead and rim of the gunk, and replaced the rim tape w/ 3M 8896.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast