Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 164 of 164
  1. #101
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Update. Out of desperation, I ordered the Motion Pro Bead Pro tool (thanks smudge!). This tool worked! There's no way I would have been able to get the tire off without this tool (besides cutting it off). The tire was practically glued to the rim; even bits of rubber from the tire bead remained adheared to the rim. My guess is the orange seal left overs or interaction from the Guerilla rim tape caused this. With lots of FU's and time, I cleaned the tire bead and rim of the gunk, and replaced the rim tape w/ 3M 8896.
    Are you using Gorilla brand masking tape? Enve ships the stuff with its rims. If you are, I'd recommend you don't use it again. Practically every customer I've had that has used the tape supplied by Enve had issues with seepage which, when used with Stans, will lead to nipple corrosion (aluminum nips only, not if you're using the "newly" supplied brass nips) and ultimately the wheel comes apart.

    I've been using Orange Seal brand rim tape for a few years now and have no complaints. It goes on easy if you're methodical, I haven't had any of it peel back on any of the wheels I've built and it's nice and slick and doesn't interfere with tire installation.

    I'll take a look at that 3M tape...I'm interested to read what people think of it.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Update. Out of desperation, I ordered the Motion Pro Bead Pro tool (thanks smudge!). This tool worked! There's no way I would have been able to get the tire off without this tool (besides cutting it off). The tire was practically glued to the rim; even bits of rubber from the tire bead remained adheared to the rim. My guess is the orange seal left overs or interaction from the Guerilla rim tape caused this. With lots of FU's and time, I cleaned the tire bead and rim of the gunk, and replaced the rim tape w/ 3M 8896.
    Have you installed that tire on that rim without the cushcore? Was it a pain then?
    I've installed and removed multiple Aggressor exos from different alloy rims and it was barely harder than without cushcore. And I am not a wizard.
    Maybe it's a carbon thing?

  3. #103
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,554
    I just removed a DHF from a cushcore installed rim and mounted a new Aggressor.

    Initial installation of the DHF was a bear, but I removed the DHF and installed a new Aggressor in under 20 minutes. I think there's something to be said about ease of installation when the cushcore is already pre-slimed from sealant.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    I after all the talk of how hard it is to remove I was expecting a fight, was relatively simple. I have Nashbar tire levers and used the rounded handle to push the bead down first on both sides. Then scooped up the bead and peeled around. Only needed one lever.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    227
    If you follow the instruction video for both install and removal, it's not that hard. I've done it several times now. Use the GARBAGE CAN! When new it's a bit hard to stretch onto the rim, but not crazy hard. For me its WAY harder to unseat the tire bead on removal. I have to pad my hand as I put all my weight on the tire lever to pop it off and under the cushcore. After that, it's easy. ALso the cushcore STRETCHES as it ages. What was once tight when brand new, is now loose and slips right on.
    I currently have cushcore installed in 3 different wheels (27.5), procore in 2 wheels (26"), and a procore/cushcore combo installed in a 26x2.8 wheel. (I cut out the inner center of the cushcore so the procore would fit inside.)

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    123
    Would love more ride reports. I ride a Bucksaw but would like to go to a 27.5 or +, I find 29ers with 2.4s at 22psi to just be too fatiguing from the vibrations after 7 miles. Iím in the Northeast with lots or rocks and roots.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    88
    I love them. I'm in Colorado so dry and rocky. Huge difference.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677 View Post
    Would love more ride reports. I ride a Bucksaw but would like to go to a 27.5 or +, I find 29ers with 2.4s at 22psi to just be too fatiguing from the vibrations after 7 miles. Iím in the Northeast with lots or rocks and roots.
    I find 2.4 with cushcore more comfortable and controlled than plus tires.

  9. #109
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677 View Post
    Would love more ride reports. I ride a Bucksaw but would like to go to a 27.5 or +, I find 29ers with 2.4s at 22psi to just be too fatiguing from the vibrations after 7 miles. Iím in the Northeast with lots or rocks and roots.
    In my experience, it really depends on the speed you're riding and the conditions you're riding in. For the places I used to ride in MD frequently, a hardtail with 2.8's and no CushCore was just about perfect. I can run the pressure around 17psi and the traction is amazing. The speeds are generally low as the trails are low angle and technical so tire roll isn't an issue. I live in OR, and the trails I frequently ride range from primitive to bermy/jumpy trails but the are generally much higher speed since there's more vert and pitch...I frequently am riding down hill in the mid 20mph range and I much prefer 2.5's with CushCore in them. They hold up better in berms and compressions and in at least one occasion have prevented my rim from exploding.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  10. #110
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,717
    still love my cush cores except changing tires of course.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ear_ache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    152
    I just removed mine - a 45 minute swearfest. I may end up reinstalling. I just wanted to try without for awhile. We'll see...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    still love my cush cores except changing tires of course.
    I've got it down to about 5-7 min a tire. There's a trick to getting them off.

  13. #113
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,682
    Got plenty of time on CushCore on the back of my slack, steel, 29er AM hardtail as well as on the back of my 29er park wheelset (ridden on a 6" slack 29er).

    One word review: "Meh"

    It's heavy and more annoying to install than Huck Norris. Does it offer more cushion between the rim and tire (than Huck Norris?)? Yes, of course. Worth it? I dunno. Not for me.

    Don't believe their claims. If you run lower pressure your tires will squirm. You will feel the squirm and it will annoy you. You will also feel the rim bottoming against the CushCore on hard, square edge hits. You CAN STILL RUIN A RIM with CushCore + DoubleDown casing.

    Would I buy it again? No.

    I don't buy the magic, trail smoothing damping characteristics. To get low enough to make it trail damping, your tires will squirm during aggressive riding. And you will still bottom out the rim. I am currently relacing my rear wheel because I believed CushCore's claims. (And I was running a Maxxis DoubleDown casing to boot).

    Snake oil? No. Worth the expense, headache and weight? No.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Got plenty of time on CushCore on the back of my slack, steel, 29er AM hardtail as well as on the back of my 29er park wheelset (ridden on a 6" slack 29er).

    One word review: "Meh"

    It's heavy and more annoying to install than Huck Norris. Does it offer more cushion between the rim and tire (than Huck Norris?)? Yes, of course. Worth it? I dunno. Not for me.

    Don't believe their claims. If you run lower pressure your tires will squirm. You will feel the squirm and it will annoy you. You will also feel the rim bottoming against the CushCore on hard, square edge hits. You CAN STILL RUIN A RIM with CushCore + DoubleDown casing.

    Would I buy it again? No.

    I don't buy the magic, trail smoothing damping characteristics. To get low enough to make it trail damping, your tires will squirm during aggressive riding. And you will still bottom out the rim. I am currently relacing my rear wheel because I believed CushCore's claims. (And I was running a Maxxis DoubleDown casing to boot).

    Snake oil? No. Worth the expense, headache and weight? No.
    I can feel the rebound effect even with proper inflated tires for hard turns and no rim strikes. Running it in the front you can feel. The back less so.

  15. #115
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I've got it down to about 5-7 min a tire. There's a trick to getting them off.
    Yeah I got it down with maxxis tires to include DD. But I got my ass kicked by the new butcher with BLK DMND casing for almost a hour to get them on. I was not ready for that fight. Maxxis exo, DD, casing are so much easier. these were a beast!

    Also front tire cushcore you feel much more than the rear.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Also front tire cushcore you feel much more than the rear.
    That's interesting as I've had the opposite experience. I feel the effects more on the rear than on the front. So much so that I've taken off the front one and gone back to running a higher pressure up front than the rear.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    My experience is when flying through a rock garden with enough air to not bang a rim, the tire has a lot of bounce back(rebound) you can run the fork slow, but this only helps a little. With cushcore controlling the rebound I can speed up the fork and it stays in constant contact with the ground. So better traction on rough fast trails.

  18. #118
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Got plenty of time on CushCore on the back of my slack, steel, 29er AM hardtail as well as on the back of my 29er park wheelset (ridden on a 6" slack 29er).

    One word review: "Meh"

    It's heavy and more annoying to install than Huck Norris. Does it offer more cushion between the rim and tire (than Huck Norris?)? Yes, of course. Worth it? I dunno. Not for me.

    Don't believe their claims. If you run lower pressure your tires will squirm. You will feel the squirm and it will annoy you. You will also feel the rim bottoming against the CushCore on hard, square edge hits. You CAN STILL RUIN A RIM with CushCore + DoubleDown casing.

    Would I buy it again? No.

    I don't buy the magic, trail smoothing damping characteristics. To get low enough to make it trail damping, your tires will squirm during aggressive riding. And you will still bottom out the rim. I am currently relacing my rear wheel because I believed CushCore's claims. (And I was running a Maxxis DoubleDown casing to boot).

    Snake oil? No. Worth the expense, headache and weight? No.
    Funny. My take is opposite.
    I've been running 18 psi on 2.5 WT 650 maxxis tires since later winter here in Colorado. I've had no hard rim strikes, no flats, no punctures, no snake bites.

    Cornering is significantly improved and very precise. It's like having understeer, which I didn't know previously existed, instantly corrected. I don't know if I can feel the "damping effect" that others perceive. I think my dual-coil suspension takes care of that mostly.

    Downsides for me? The rotational weight over 3 hrs of high alpine climbs definitely wears on me. My bike is now up to 33#, where I once had it right around 30 (before CC and dual coil). And I rue the day I have to do a trailside tire repair that a plug can't fix.

    I just rode 8 consecutive days in Salida/Monarch/CB and the weight wore me down towards the end of the week. Next time I might remove the CC and reinstall my Huck which I previously used. But for regular daily rides, CC is here to stay for me.

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: In2falling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Downsides for me? The rotational weight over 3 hrs of high alpine climbs definitely wears on me. My bike is now up to 33#, where I once had it right around 30 (before CC and dual coil). And I rue the day I have to do a trailside tire repair that a plug can't fix.

    I just rode 8 consecutive days in Salida/Monarch/CB and the weight wore me down towards the end of the week. Next time I might remove the CC and reinstall my Huck which I previously used. But for regular daily rides, CC is here to stay for me.
    Rotational weight sucks!! They say like every gram you add to the outside of your wheel is like adding 5/6 grams to your bike.

    Here is a demonstration of the effects it has on acceleration/pedaling.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rEF5A3I8UQ

    The chain they are adding to the outside of the rim is not much heavier than cushcore.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    The weight is the only downside IMHO hours of peddling and can effect turning a 29er. If someone comes up with a product that doesn't weight as much and does the same job I'm in.

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    210

    sealant and valve troubles

    anyone find it impossible to put sealant in?

    Install wasn't too bad. Watched the vid and took everyone's advice. But the sealant??? What the hell? I was squeezing that bottle of orange seal for all I was worth, sweating like a dog and it was barely trickling in. Took 5 minutes for a single ounce. I finally gave up, unseated a small section of tire, jammed the tube between the cc and the tire and squeezed the rest in, then reseated it. All this while using cc's fancy valve stems.

    Anyone else have that much trouble putting sealant in? Find a solution?
    Chicanery is a good word.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    anyone find it impossible to put sealant in?

    Install wasn't too bad. Watched the vid and took everyone's advice. But the sealant??? What the hell? I was squeezing that bottle of orange seal for all I was worth, sweating like a dog and it was barely trickling in. Took 5 minutes for a single ounce. I finally gave up, unseated a small section of tire, jammed the tube between the cc and the tire and squeezed the rest in, then reseated it. All this while using cc's fancy valve stems.

    Anyone else have that much trouble putting sealant in? Find a solution?
    I have no issue with sealant. But I do make sure the hole in the cushcore valves are lined up pointing to each edge of the rim. Then the grooves in the cushcore I make sure one is line up with the holes in valve.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sid Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    284
    Had no problems getting the sealant in. I used the same method as Cerberus ^^^


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    36
    So, for those who had to repair on the trail, what was the best course of action ?
    I'm wondering if there is not something allowing to plug two valves or just two valves holes in the rim, would be much easier to have the deflated tube inside in the first place.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by tirrorex View Post
    So, for those who had to repair on the trail, what was the best course of action ?
    I'm wondering if there is not something allowing to plug two valves or just two valves holes in the rim, would be much easier to have the deflated tube inside in the first place.
    You would find it hard to keep it air tight. I just carry a road tube and am prepared to pull the valve like any tubless set up but put a hole threw the CC in the case I slash a tire bad enough and dont want to pull the CC. So far haven't had to try it.

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    You would find it hard to keep it air tight. I just carry a road tube and am prepared to pull the valve like any tubless set up but put a hole threw the CC in the case I slash a tire bad enough and dont want to pull the CC. So far haven't had to try it.
    Seems like a good idea, thanks

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    anyone find it impossible to put sealant in?

    Install wasn't too bad. Watched the vid and took everyone's advice. But the sealant??? What the hell? I was squeezing that bottle of orange seal for all I was worth, sweating like a dog and it was barely trickling in. Took 5 minutes for a single ounce. I finally gave up, unseated a small section of tire, jammed the tube between the cc and the tire and squeezed the rest in, then reseated it. All this while using cc's fancy valve stems.

    Anyone else have that much trouble putting sealant in? Find a solution?
    Just get the whole thing seated except for the last 8 inches or so, pour in sealant, rotate the tire around so the sealant flows to the opposite side. Then finish seating the tire. Easy, fast, not a drop spilled.

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,308
    Quote Originally Posted by BunniBoi View Post
    Just get the whole thing seated except for the last 8 inches or so, pour in sealant, rotate the tire around so the sealant flows to the opposite side. Then finish seating the tire. Easy, fast, not a drop spilled.
    I've also noticed that if the tire beads aren't seated yet it is difficult to inject sealant through the valve. Seating the beads and then injecting through the valve resolves it for me.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    210
    update: sealant went in well with the valve base turned correctly (thx cerb), and I found after trying the cushcores on various bikes, there is a lot to say for the type of wheel and tire you're using. I found it a pain with spank spike races and DHF's, but super easy on E13's and Magic Marys. Live and learn.
    Chicanery is a good word.

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Streetdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,899
    If you're not riding fast..... say top 10% on your favorite descents if you're a strava guy, you probably will not see any benefit from cushcore. Installing it because you want to run 5psi in your tires is dumb. I just wore out my first set after 1500 miles.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    If you're not riding fast..... say top 10% on your favorite descents if you're a strava guy, you probably will not see any benefit from cushcore.
    ...or if you're riding a lot of park/knar that could destroy wheels at various speeds
    Chicanery is a good word.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    If you're not riding fast..... say top 10% on your favorite descents if you're a strava guy, you probably will not see any benefit from cushcore. Installing it because you want to run 5psi in your tires is dumb. I just wore out my first set after 1500 miles.
    What did "wore out" look/feel like for you?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    227
    The first removal is the hardest. It takes a gloved hand and alot of leverage to pop the tire bead into the center. and you gotta use the trashcan method. I've done a handful now and it only takes about 10 minutes. The removal is harder than the install for me.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    I push the bead in with the handle of my tire lever. Or something hard and flat. Once you figure it out it works great.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    If you're not riding fast..... say top 10% on your favorite descents if you're a strava guy, you probably will not see any benefit from cushcore. Installing it because you want to run 5psi in your tires is dumb. I just wore out my first set after 1500 miles.
    I'm not a 10% guy. But cushcore lets me run 25psi instead of 32psi (what I need to not bottom or squirm a rear tire).
    I still occasionally bottom a rim (as I would occasionally without it) but I've stopped damaging my rear rim and I prefer the feel of it.
    Worth it for me.

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    308
    Hey all,

    I'm trying to mount a DH casing (Maxxis 2.5 Assegai) to a carbon rim (We are One Agent 29). I'm pretty baffled. Getting the Cushcore on and the tire over it are not a problem at all, that took 2 seconds.

    Getting the bead in seems impossible. Seems like I have it pushed into the center of the rim in some spots, but it still won't go all the way. Anyone mount DH casing tires? any tips? Gotta be a way I would think.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    Hey all,

    I'm trying to mount a DH casing (Maxxis 2.5 Assegai) to a carbon rim (We are One Agent 29). I'm pretty baffled. Getting the Cushcore on and the tire over it are not a problem at all, that took 2 seconds.

    Getting the bead in seems impossible. Seems like I have it pushed into the center of the rim in some spots, but it still won't go all the way. Anyone mount DH casing tires? any tips? Gotta be a way I would think.
    Coat the tire with some soap or water based lube. When going around the rim with the tire, i lift the bead up under the cushcore. Then i lay it on a bucket and push the tire down and in at an agle with a flat blunt object. There is a line abour 1 1/2 inch above the bead. You should not see it before you try to get the last few inches over the rim.

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Coat the tire with some soap or water based lube. When going around the rim with the tire, i lift the bead up under the cushcore. Then i lay it on a bucket and push the tire down and in at an agle with a flat blunt object. There is a line abour 1 1/2 inch above the bead. You should not see it before you try to get the last few inches over the rim.
    Thanks, I've been researching tips and that's what I keep hearing. I thought i had it in there but I guess not. I'll keep trying. I was using a longer Pedros DH tire lever, but it doesn't seem to work well to push the tire down, may have to find something else to use.

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    Thanks, I've been researching tips and that's what I keep hearing. I thought i had it in there but I guess not. I'll keep trying. I was using a longer Pedros DH tire lever, but it doesn't seem to work well to push the tire down, may have to find something else to use.
    It's real important to get 100% of the bead in the middle of the rim. If you don't then the next step won't be successful.
    And then starting at the point furthest away from unmounted area, massage the slack of the tire towards it.
    Once you've done that getting the last bit to pop in shouldn't be much harder than without cushcore if you're lucky.

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    308
    Wow, so I had a DHRII on hand and decided to mount it instead of the DH casing Assegai tire and I got it on in about 15 minutes. I really could not get the DH casing under the Cushcore, but the DHRII shoved right under there and the line disappeared. Maybe it was just me... not sure. Either way, the Assegai is already a beast of a tire and I wasn't looking forward to the weight, so this may have worked out for the better. If anyone else had any luck with the Assegai and CushCore let me know. Thanks for the help!

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,133
    Hey, what would you guys do with a 32mm inner width rim, go for the regular size or go for the plus size? It's right in the middle. My assumption is the regular will be easier to mount and the plus will off more protection, but will be harder to install. Should I flip a coin?

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Hey, what would you guys do with a 32mm inner width rim, go for the regular size or go for the plus size? It's right in the middle. My assumption is the regular will be easier to mount and the plus will off more protection, but will be harder to install. Should I flip a coin?
    Regular.

  43. #143
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    Wow, so I had a DHRII on hand and decided to mount it instead of the DH casing Assegai tire and I got it on in about 15 minutes. I really could not get the DH casing under the Cushcore, but the DHRII shoved right under there and the line disappeared. Maybe it was just me... not sure. Either way, the Assegai is already a beast of a tire and I wasn't looking forward to the weight, so this may have worked out for the better. If anyone else had any luck with the Assegai and CushCore let me know. Thanks for the help!
    Im running Cush with ass guy tires on roval fatties and it worked just fine. That tire with cushcore is amazing by the way, but slow as hell on the back.

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Im running Cush with ass guy tires on roval fatties and it worked just fine. That tire with cushcore is amazing by the way, but slow as hell on the back.
    Cool, I figured it would go on but after thinking about it I'm gonna save my Assy Guy for the front... that thing has to be a beast with the Cush Core I'm sure!

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Im running Cush with ass guy tires on roval fatties and it worked just fine. That tire with cushcore is amazing by the way, but slow as hell on the back.
    Is the Assegai as bad on the front as everyone is saying? Been waiting for a trail version. But really thing its what I want (a magic mary that will last more than a month or two)

  46. #146
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Is the Assegai as bad on the front as everyone is saying? Been waiting for a trail version. But really thing its what I want (a magic mary that will last more than a month or two)
    I do not notice it being slow on the front. It feels the same as the Max grip DHF I had on before but deals better traction wise with my local conditions than the DHF. On the rear though it rolled super slow.

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I do not notice it being slow on the front. It feels the same as the Max grip DHF I had on before but deals better traction wise with my local conditions than the DHF. On the rear though it rolled super slow.
    Awsome! thanks, been wanting to pair it with a DHR2 for trail riding. I don't like slip zone of a DHF on home trails, and conditions the tire was designed for. Might have to give it a go

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    15
    - Does Cushcore soak sealant?
    - How the heck does the sealant get to the outer side of the tire, when I start pushing the sealant into valve stem and the middle section of the tire is blocked by the insert? Does the insert have some holes to let the sealant to the other side?

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    308
    Does not soak up sealant at all. For the sealant, there are notches/slits in the cushcore, line one set of those up with your valve stem.

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rngspnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    665
    Don't run Cushcore but did do a wheel rebuild for a friend. Nextie AM35 29" with DHRII tire. Didn't have any real issues getting tire off just a bit harder than a tire without Cushcore. Remounting tire no big issue either used Pedros tire levers and went on quickly. This is where I have an issue with Cushcore. After getting tire on adding sealant and inflating I gave the wheel a spin on the truing stand and it spun like it was a taco'ed rim. At first I thought it was maybe the tire, checked and rechecked bead seat and all appeared fine. Finally realized it was the Cushcore causing the massive tire wobble. Spent half an hour trying to center Cushcore and tire to eliminate wobble with marginal improvement. If this is a side effect of Cushcore I'm out! Anyone else have this issue?
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

  51. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Streetdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,899
    Sounds like the CC wasn't seated properly maybe. I've got over 2200 miles on CC with about a dozen tire swaps and haven't experienced that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Don't run Cushcore but did do a wheel rebuild for a friend. Nextie AM35 29" with DHRII tire. Didn't have any real issues getting tire off just a bit harder than a tire without Cushcore. Remounting tire no big issue either used Pedros tire levers and went on quickly. This is where I have an issue with Cushcore. After getting tire on adding sealant and inflating I gave the wheel a spin on the truing stand and it spun like it was a taco'ed rim. At first I thought it was maybe the tire, checked and rechecked bead seat and all appeared fine. Finally realized it was the Cushcore causing the massive tire wobble. Spent half an hour trying to center Cushcore and tire to eliminate wobble with marginal improvement. If this is a side effect of Cushcore I'm out! Anyone else have this issue?
    Instagram

    Denver, CO

  52. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Don't run Cushcore but did do a wheel rebuild for a friend. Nextie AM35 29" with DHRII tire. Didn't have any real issues getting tire off just a bit harder than a tire without Cushcore. Remounting tire no big issue either used Pedros tire levers and went on quickly. This is where I have an issue with Cushcore. After getting tire on adding sealant and inflating I gave the wheel a spin on the truing stand and it spun like it was a taco'ed rim. At first I thought it was maybe the tire, checked and rechecked bead seat and all appeared fine. Finally realized it was the Cushcore causing the massive tire wobble. Spent half an hour trying to center Cushcore and tire to eliminate wobble with marginal improvement. If this is a side effect of Cushcore I'm out! Anyone else have this issue?
    I can get a little wobble sometimes. I think the CC isnt in the channel good when that happens. But after a ride its fine.

  53. #153
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,014
    I bought a CC set for my custom wheelset. The problem is that I am still waiting for the wheelset to arrive! I can't wait to try CC out.
    Trek …monda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

  54. #154
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,032
    On the STEM topic...

    So the stem sits in the rim like normal and the foam rests on top of it, compressing the foam in that tiny spot?

  55. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    227
    centrifigal force drives the liquid to the outside.

  56. #156
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,014
    I tried for 2 hours to slip the last 10 percent of my tire on the rim with CC installed. I just couldn't get the last bit of bead to pop in the rim. I followed all of the tips that CC had (old and new videos). It wasn't happening.

    I pushed the installed bead as far down as I could with my levers but I couldn't get enough slack to get the last 10 percent of tire to install.
    Trek …monda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

  57. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ear_ache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    152

    Cushcore Kit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I tried for 2 hours to slip the last 10 percent of my tire on the rim with CC installed. I just couldn't get the last bit of bead to pop in the rim. I followed all of the tips that CC had (old and new videos). It wasn't happening.

    I pushed the installed bead as far down as I could with my levers but I couldn't get enough slack to get the last 10 percent of tire to install.
    I feel your pain. My advice.
    1. Stop, take a break, drink a beer (or 2)
    2. Once refreshed, grab some regular (non downhill) tire levers. I use Pedro's.
    3. The eureka moment for me was when I realized I needed to push the tire bead to as close to the center of the rim as possible. A little bit won't cut it, If you cannot easily see your rim strip, it's no far enough.

    God's speed.
    E


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  58. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by ear_ache View Post
    I feel your pain. My advice.
    1. Stop, take a break, drink a beer (or 2)
    2. Once refreshed, grab some regular (non downhill) tire levers. I use Pedro's.
    3. The eureka moment for me was when I realized I needed to push the tire bead to as close to the center of the rim as possible. A little bit won't cut it, If you cannot easily see your rim strip, it's no far enough.

    God's speed.
    E


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is good, especially #1.
    And remember that installing cushcore is not a brute force problem. Get the tire bead in the center, and then massage the slack out starting at the point furtherest from the unmounted section.

  59. #159
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,014
    I just installed it in 5 minutes. I found that 1 YouTube video that solved my problem. I canít believe it.

    https://youtu.be/6Oo7a9A7Obg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trek …monda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

  60. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I tried for 2 hours to slip the last 10 percent of my tire on the rim with CC installed. I just couldn't get the last bit of bead to pop in the rim. I followed all of the tips that CC had (old and new videos). It wasn't happening.

    I pushed the installed bead as far down as I could with my levers but I couldn't get enough slack to get the last 10 percent of tire to install.
    What tire? What rim? I tried some DH casing tires that simply would not go on my carbon rim with CC. I tried a Minion on the same rim with only EXO and it went on in 2 seconds, but not the tire I wanted to run. Also, after trying for that long, you can fully expect that your tape is destroyed, so if and when you get CC on, don't be surprised that you gotta take it back off because of that. I soon after returned Cushcore, I figure if it's not going to work on certain tire rim combos what's the point? Maybe my DH tires would have worked eventually but no way I'm going through that again when i want to change a tire. I was let down, my hands hurt from trying and really I just wanted to ride my bike.

  61. #161
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,014
    I canít believe it. I just did what the dude recommended to slip the bead down and deep. I flipped the lever around and pressed down. I completed an entire wheel in 5 minutes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trek …monda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

  62. #162
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Don't run Cushcore but did do a wheel rebuild for a friend. Nextie AM35 29" with DHRII tire. Didn't have any real issues getting tire off just a bit harder than a tire without Cushcore. Remounting tire no big issue either used Pedros tire levers and went on quickly. This is where I have an issue with Cushcore. After getting tire on adding sealant and inflating I gave the wheel a spin on the truing stand and it spun like it was a taco'ed rim. At first I thought it was maybe the tire, checked and rechecked bead seat and all appeared fine. Finally realized it was the Cushcore causing the massive tire wobble. Spent half an hour trying to center Cushcore and tire to eliminate wobble with marginal improvement. If this is a side effect of Cushcore I'm out! Anyone else have this issue?
    It is a Maxxis tire thing. I swap tires around and have found as of late that taking the newer maxxis tires on and off the bead/casing gets warped very easy. I have even had a few have a wobble brand new that got warrantied.

  63. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I just installed it in 5 minutes. I found that 1 YouTube video that solved my problem. I canít believe it.

    https://youtu.be/6Oo7a9A7Obg

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Omg, the guy didn't even lube the tire, or did he? This is unbelievable!

  64. #164
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by oo.viper.oo View Post
    Omg, the guy didn't even lube the tire, or did he? This is unbelievable!
    I don't think he did. I lubed it anyways because I didn't want to accidentally damage my rim tape. I worked on my 2nd wheel after I got home from my daughter's event. I didn't even need the tire lever to shove the bead deep into the rim. I just grabbed 2 handfuls of tire/CC, rolled it together, and then shoved the tire inside of the rim under CC. I found it to be faster than using a tire lever. You can actually do it this way during the tire installation phase prior to dealing with the tight side of the tire.

    Then I used the tire lever twice on the tight section (once per side) to tuck the bead under the rim and just hand rolled the middle onto the rim.
    Trek …monda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 82
    Last Post: 06-06-2018, 03:17 PM
  2. Thoughts on tire insert (cushcore) lowering the tire volume
    By legitposter in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-23-2017, 05:11 AM
  3. Cushcore inserts 29"
    By Redeye in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2017, 09:56 AM
  4. Where to buy RP23 volume reducer kit and seal kit?
    By veryavgwhtguy in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
  5. Park Tool Kit or any tool kit
    By aldeezy in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Members who have read this thread: 372

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.