Thread: CST Camber

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

CST Camber

Anyone have experience with the CST Camber? I have 2.25" Caballero Comps on now, and was thinking about trying the Cambers Pros out. The Caballeros have worked fine, although I'd prefer a bit less rolling resistance and maybe a bit more volume. I have a hard time justifying more expensive tires when the CST have worked well for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I guess I might become a guinea pig.

Former Bike Wrench
    Their folding bead tires are pretty nice, I've got folding Cabellaros and they are a solid tire for the money. Casing is a little heavy but on the flip side I assume it will be more durable.

Life Is Short
    stick with the gay cabelleros. I like them, CST makes em really affordable because theys
    the biggest tire company in the world (china) and the parent company of maxxis. The Cabs grip pretty nice as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I might just go with folding Caballeros. After two years, my comps are starting not to hook up so well, but they have been solid otherwise. I'm still curious about the Cambers though.

eBiker
    CST Camber - DAMN GOOD bang for the buck!

They look really good for hardpack+

P

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just an update (if anyone cares)...I ended up finding the Camber Pros on REI-Outlet for a good price with free shipping, so I picked two up. They are pretty nice tires, but the knobs on the edges are smaller than I was anticipating. Since we're in a drought, our trails are getting pretty loose. The tires grip well 98% of the time, but I'm a little timid about going hard into some of the turns, especially after my front tire washed out in a dusty section going into a berm. I just bought a Caballero Pro to put up front and will keep one Camber in the back. This combo should be a little more confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

CST Camber

Same advice. Stick woth the caballeros. I tried the camber in the front and its ok on hardpack but ride a bit in soft stuff and its going to kick out. Side knobs aren't the best. For the price though they can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Same advice. Stick woth the caballeros. I tried the camber in the front and its ok on hardpack but ride a bit in soft stuff and its going to kick out. Side knobs aren't the best. For the price though they can't be beat.
    Yep. In addition to wiping out on that one turn, I veered off the trail at one point because we were flying and the front tire wasn't tracking. I was fortunate enough to stop before I hit a tree.

I haven't ridden these on tacky trails, but they seem like they'd hook up really well (as long as there's no mud). The tire looked a lot bigger in the pictures online. I think the Camber will do well in back, but I'm looking forward to having a Caballero back up front. So far, I've had good luck with CST. I'm in grad school right now and am trying to keep my biking costs down. The Pro versions are definitely nicer than the Comps.