mtbr member
    Dec 2003

CST Caballero Pro 2.4 vs. Kenda Cortez 2.4

I've been riding Kenda Cortez 2.4 tires for the last 3 years and have loved them. They were getting a little worn so I had intended to pick some up when Jenson USA had them on sale. I was too late because they are not listed on the site anymore. In fact they are hard to find almost anywhere. When you do find them they are nearly $50 each.

I had read about the CST tires on this site and since the price was $24 each I decided to give them a try. The first thing I noticed was the Caballeros looked smaller and when I measured them it turned out to be the case. I rode with 38 pounds of pressure in the front tire and 40 in the back, same pressure I usually ride. The trails that I ride are mostly loose over hard pack with plenty of rock gardens and roots. The first thing I noticed was the CST Caballeros roll faster than the Kenda Cortez. The CST tires provided plenty of traction, probably better than the Cortez tires. On an off camber section of the trail they felt less sketchy than the Cortez's and in deep sand they tracked straighter. I did wash out on a curve that had deep sand, I'm not sure any tire does well in that situation.

The Kenda Cortez is just a bigger tire with more volume. They seem to float over the rocks and roots and inspire confidence, the CST tires on the other hand ride a lot rougher and I stopped about a half mile in to check if my fork was locked out. I started to pick my lines with the CST's instead of taking on the rougher sections like I usually do riding on the Kendas. The casing on the CST's may be more substantial making for a stiffer ride.

Conclusion:
    The CST Caballeros are a good value and they do a lot of things well, I've just been spoiled by the big volume and suppleness of the Kendas.

CST Caballeros 2.4
    Casing width- 2.1
    Tread width- 2.22
    Tire height- 2.84 (measured from the lip of the rim to the top of the tire)
    Weight- 750 (advertised weight)

Kenda Cortez 2.4
    Casing width- 2.2
    Tread width- 2.32
    Tire height- 2.9
    Weight- 700 (advertised weight)

mtbr member
    Great feedback!

Curious, what kind of bike are you riding and how much do you weigh? (sorry, not trying to get personal). 38/40 PSI is pretty dang high for that tire. I ride a lot of rock gardens (and not entirely that carefully) and run those tires at low 30's on my SS hardtail with no troubles. And I weigh 200ish. Glad you like the tires overall.

PS, Measure the tire after a few rides after they've broken in a little.

*Disclaimer: I am the CST person at Maxxis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I weigh 190 and probably 5 extra pounds of gear. I let let some more air out of the tire on the trail but did not see a lot of difference. I'll try low 30's and see what happen's. I ride a Specialized Stumpjumper Expert FSR 2004 model.
    Last edited by goldrush; 07-20-2008 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004