Thread: CST Caballero?

Short-Change-Hero

CST Caballero?

Wondering if anyone has experience with this tire? I have heard some good things about it and debating on having custom wheels built with these or spending the extra money on a pair of Kenda Nevi's or Conti MK/TK's. Can't really seem to find much on them here and CST doesn't have all that much in the 29er fashion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I bought some Caballero's when they first came out and I liked them for the most part.
    Pros- good all around traction, roll pretty fast, not to heavy, killer value.

Cons- Not as big a volume tire that I would like, they fit very tight on rims takes major effort to get them on or off.

I decided to go back to a larger volume tire and after wrestling with them for a couple of hours I tore one with a metal tire lever.

If they were not so hard to get them on or off I would buy another pair. A CST rep told me they would loosen up after riding them a while.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks Goldrush..
    Anyone else have experience with these? Really starting to wonder if I do buy them they will be used quickly and then tossed for a set of Nevi's or MKs??

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They came stock on our cndale f4. They are ok for flat land xc. Needing traction in step climbs. We had a set of 1.9s

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I am running the 2.4 pro version. I have to say that I love the tire. I have more confidence riding these. The transition between the center and side knobs causes a little drift so you have to be aggressive. I think for $25 each you are not going to find a better tire. CST owns or is part of Maxxis and I think the the Cabellero is similar to the Ardent.

As far as mounting goes, I can mount with my hands, but I have the kevlar bead version.

Short-Change-Hero
    Cool thanks for the info MaddSquirrel. I knew that they were affiliated with Maxxis (believe they are the parent company) so the tires should be good quality. Just dont see much about them other than the occassional, "You can't go better for the money" statements.

mtbr member
    I have the CST Cheyenne tire on my Cannondale Prophet. 2.1 size which kinda made me nervious as far as causing pinch flats (I'm 250lbs), but I haven't caused one yet, and I have put these through a beating. They only set me back $13 Canadian per tire and they aren't too bad for wheight. The Caballero is the same tread as the maxxis ignitor (CST own Maxxis), and for the terrain around here the Cheyenne was a better tire overall when we tested them.

Short-Change-Hero
    Cool.. I have found the Caballero's on Amazon for $13 USD each so that is why I am thinking of trying them. I mean really, at that price (with shipping would be $30) you cant really go wrong. I am just looking for people's experiences with them to see if they are worth the $30 or if I should not waste my time and get the Nevi's/MK's/Ikon's

Short-Change-Hero
    Hopefully they come out with the Crusader and Camber in a 29er fashion and as cheap as the Caballero as I would like to try those out too.

Guess I cant go wrong with $30 for a set of tires, Really where am I going to find that good of a deal elsewhere.