Thread: CST Caballero

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

CST Caballero

I am looking for a bit of updated info on the CST Caballero. I am debating purchasing a set and wanted to know peoples overall thoughts about the tire. I have searched and only found old threads...

Any info is much appreciated.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab
    I am looking for a bit of updated info on the CST Caballero. I am debating purchasing a set and wanted to know peoples overall thoughts about the tire. I have searched and only found old threads...

Any info is much appreciated.
    Still a very good tire for the price. Durable, reasonably grippy. Harder rubber than the faster wearing Maxxis tires
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Very good performance in loose conditions, very durable. "Comp" version w/ wire beads have a 27 tpi casing. "Pro" version has aramid beads, 60 tpi casing, and EPS breaker.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The "pro" vers. has some sort of puncture protection but I haven't found it for sale online at all. Any links? I've been thinking of trying CST tires too as the price is right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have been running the 2.4 Cabs ( I weigh 280lbs) on a hardtail and love them. I went with the pro version (folding bead in catalog) and had them ordered by my LBS for 24.95 each (MSRP for reference). I am running 35psi and have not problems with squirm, pinch flats, or shedding any knobs. I want to try the Camber, but they currently do not make it above 2.25. My confidence has increased with these tires and my hack riding style has not found the end of their grip yet. The Comp Version (Wire bead) has an MSRP around $15.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I use the 29er 2.1. I bough it mainly as a super cheap tire to commute on. Man does it last forever. almost 300 mile son it and it is showing very little wear. Super Heavy though. Rolls really well also. Suprisingly so actually.

Flaccid Member
    I've run 3 Caballeros's 29 x 2.25 in the rear on my RIP and my AIR 9. I go 225 pounds wet. Tire will easily run 1300 miles in the rear, which is outstanding for my riding style. Grip is good, wire bead is heavy, rolling resistance is fair.

Great tire for the price, would recommend them if you are on a budget.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was at Walmart the other day and happened to pass the bike section. The Bell Kingpin tire has an uncanny resemblance to the CST Caballero. Coincidence?

Former Bike Wrench
    Not Coincidence...CST has been making tires for other manufacturers for years (Duro is another one) that are on department store bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Not Coincidence...CST has been making tires for other manufacturers for years (Duro is another one) that are on department store bikes.
    Yeah. No surprise. But if people want a "Pro" version of the Caballero and can't find it, they might try this tire.