mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Crosstrail Disc Axle size quetion

Regarding the Mavic Crosstrail disc 2012 wheelsets. (on sale at price point)

Will these fit my 9x100 front, and 10x135 rear(?) (2009 Scott Spark). It mentions adapters in the product literature that I can scrounge online at Mavic, but not specifically these sizes, which I understand are a common (looking back). When I measured the back axle it was on the protruding threads from the hub, and it was actually well under 10mm. Maybe I am not doing that right?

If it does not fit are there other adapters that I can get?

Thanks

Blueliner

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueliner View Post
    Regarding the Mavic Crosstrail disc 2012 wheelsets. (on sale at price point)

Will these fit my 9x100 front, and 10x135 rear(?) (2009 Scott Spark). It mentions adapters in the product literature that I can scrounge online at Mavic, but not specifically these sizes, which I understand are a common (looking back). When I measured the back axle it was on the protruding threads from the hub, and it was actually well under 10mm. Maybe I am not doing that right?

If it does not fit are there other adapters that I can get?

Thanks

Blueliner
    That is a 9mm QR front wheel. Call them if you want to confirm.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The 9 and 10 aren't referring to protruding bits (that may be incidental) but to the axle diameter. In the case of axle end caps, it refers to the 'axle' diameter that protrudes.

If you are looking for solid axle wheels to fit standard dropouts, you will need to look elsewhere. If your bike has standard dropouts (which it sounds like) and not through-axles, the wheels will fit without issue.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The 9 and 10 aren't referring to protruding bits (that may be incidental) but to the axle diameter. In the case of axle end caps, it refers to the 'axle' diameter that protrudes.

If you are looking for solid axle wheels to fit standard dropouts, you will need to look elsewhere. If your bike has standard dropouts (which it sounds like) and not through-axles, the wheels will fit without issue.
    It is the diameter of those "protruding bits" that matters. They are what sits in the frame/fork dropouts.

Other than some low-end hubs and most Shimano hubs, the diameter of the actual axle in most modern QR hubs is larger than the ends.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I should be a bit more clear...it is not referring to the length of the bits, but the diameter. The 'axle' formed by the end caps (in the case of QRs) is what I was referring to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hello.

Maybe I'm a little off topic but do you suggest to use this 9mm for the front and 10mm for the rear QR or the standard 5mm QR?

The first one should be more stiff but is also more heavy.

I'm buying a wheelset from Superstar Components with the Pacenti TL28 rims,
    so I'm not shure which adapter to choose.

I do XC and single track riding.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Saruman1970 View Post
    Hello.

Maybe I'm a little off topic but do you suggest to use this 9mm for the front and 10mm for the rear QR or the standard 5mm QR?

The first one should be more stiff but is also more heavy.

I'm buying a wheelset from Superstar Components with the Pacenti TL28 rims,
    so I'm not shure which adapter to choose.

I do XC and single track riding.
    Thanks
    Generally, what you are referring to are called bolt-on hubs, as opposed to QR hubs. The bits that fit in the dropout are the same dimensions, but the bolt on axle protrudes past the dropout faces, whereas the QR axle does not. Solid, bolt-on axles are stiffer, but I do not personally think it makes a huge difference.

It is, generally speaking, difficult to find a [good quality] pre-built wheel with bolt-on axles that is not intended for singlespeed/track use. They are out there, but the vast majority are either QR or thru-axle of some sort. Surly makes a hub called the 'ultra new hub' that can function either as a bolt on type, or QR. QBP, I know, offers it in handbuilt wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Bike terminolgy drives me bonkers. I am suprised they don't publish wieghts in "stone"

Anyways pulled the trigger. Now I have to find some UST tires. I was looking on Schwalbe's web site and all I see is "tubeless ready" which I also find confusing, I thought they would have a UST range. I was thinking of Hans Dampf or Rocket Rons. What the heck does EVO mean?

Thanks
    Blueliner

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueliner View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Bike terminolgy drives me bonkers. I am suprised they don't publish wieghts in "stone"

Anyways pulled the trigger. Now I have to find some UST tires. I was looking on Schwalbe's web site and all I see is "tubeless ready" which I also find confusing, I thought they would have a UST range. I was thinking of Hans Dampf or Rocket Rons. What the heck does EVO mean?

Thanks
    Blueliner

Hans Dampf is very different from RO-RO. The first one is for AM and is minimum 2,35" while the second is very light and for XC race. So first you have to think about it.
    TL ready means it is lighter than UST because you have to use a sealant.