Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Crossmax SLR, I-9 XC, or Chris King/Mavic 717 build?

I have a 2008 Stumpjumper FSR and looking to upgrade the wheelset for endurance races. I'm 165 pounds and ride XC with few drops and not much over 2 feet.

Crossmax SLR at $1000, I-9 XC at $1000 or the Chris King hubs with Mavic 717/DT Swiss spokes at $770.

mtbr member
    If it were my money, I'd have the Kings/717s.

It's probably slightly heavier, but you would be using standard parts which willmake life a lot easier should you ever bust a spoke or rim in the future.
    Then again, the other two are quite nice.

mtbr member
    For that money and your weight, I'd be looking at Stans ZTR Crest rims with CK hubs. Plenty strong for XC riding (esp at your weight) and a much more versatile rim. Also wider than the 717.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    For that money and your weight, I'd be looking at Stans ZTR Crest rims with CK hubs. Plenty strong for XC riding (esp at your weight) and a much more versatile rim. Also wider than the 717.
    Me too.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had a set of crossmax slr's and they were bomb proff for me and i rode them hard in rough terrain at 190 lbs however if you wreck something on them you are stuck getting it from mavic which is not bad but pricey. At least with the king/ what ever rim you can switch out anything for what ever floats you boat.

If you are looking at the king hubs you should check out the Dt Swiss 240's they are lighter then the kings by a fair amount and last a long time. I am guessing you say they engagement is not as good or at least someone will. you can upgrade the star ratchet to now to double the engagement points so it is not as big of deal.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    Me three
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i have king/crest, my buddy had slrs, now has I9's, and i like mine the best. the crest rims are the best for tubeless.

mtbr member
    I recently ordered a new set of wheels. I was looking at similar wheels as you, but ended up with Stan's Crest ZTR build. Very light set of wheels at less then half the price of your budget.

My thought is that this lightweight wheelset probably won't last longer then a season or so. So in that time you will find yourself re-lacing your hubs with a new set of rims. In the mean time, I will be ordering another set of Stan's Crest with ZTR hubs wheelset and still will have spent less.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

MTBR Member
    Agreed on looking into Stan's rims.

For reliability, you can't beat the King ring-drive system.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Whatever you do don't get Mavics. Their hubs suck.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8
    Whatever you do don't get Mavics. Their hubs suck.

Perhaps on the lower-end models, like the CrossRides, but I've been riding Mavic Crossmax UST wheels since 2001. I also have a new pair of SLRs that I think are great wheels.

If I were to get a new set of wheels, however, I'd buy CK in the color of my choice and lace them to some Stan's rims. I would stay away from the 717 as it's a narrow rim and not as versatile as the ZTRs. I had DT swiss 340s laced to Mavic 717s on my Anthem and found difficulty converting to tubeless and running 2.25s.

mtbr member

TXTony
    I am running the Stans Flow with Chris Kings...I dig them alot

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony
    I am running the Stans Flow with Chris Kings...I dig them alot
    What is the weight on this wheelset? I have been looking at these as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Perhaps on the lower-end models, like the CrossRides, but I've been riding Mavic Crossmax UST wheels since 2001. I also have a new pair of SLRs that I think are great wheels.

If I were to get a new set of wheels, however, I'd buy CK in the color of my choice and lace them to some Stan's rims. I would stay away from the 717 as it's a narrow rim and not as versatile as the ZTRs. I had DT swiss 340s laced to Mavic 717s on my Anthem and found difficulty converting to tubeless and running 2.25s.
    I have fixed more high end Mavic hubs than I can count. They are junk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Where should I order a set of stans with Chris kings?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    http://speeddream.com/

website isn't great, so just call him and leave a message. It actually took me two calls but I had my wheels in a week.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8
    I have fixed more high end Mavic hubs than I can count. They are junk.

Care to elaborate? It's hard to take your word for it when you don't explain anything, like your experience as a mechanic and exactly what was wrong with the hubs that you "fixed."

I've repaired and rebuilt numerous hubs, and the only ones I've had serious issues with were Nuke Proofs. On top of that, Mavic uses cartridge bearings, whereas all of the Shimano hubs I've had (XT, XTR) have used ball bearings.

Edit: and I had to replace the worn nylon bushing in my Crossmax wheels, but there are plenty of cheap replacements one eBay.

TXTony
    Though I am not a big Mavic fan..I do have a set of Mavic Crossmaxes on my 2006 Enduro that have been on there since I bought the bike in 2006 and never had any issues with them..I got them on closeout when I bought the bike for 500 dollars and have hammered the crap out of them...nothing has failed yet

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have Mavic SLRs on a couple of bikes, and
    have not had one single problem. Also people
    talk about getting spokes for them, well just
    order a couple of spares when you get the wheels.
    I don't see what the big deal is.

Best, John

mtbr member
    May 2007
    if you're buying new, why would you spend more money for a wheelset that is heavier, has less engagement points (kings have 72), an inferior tubeless setup (UST vs. BST) and uses expensive proprietary spokes. Also King and Stans are both US manufactures and you can have a US wheel builder put it together.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    if you're buying new, why would you spend more money for a wheelset that is heavier, has less engagement points (kings have 72), an inferior tubeless setup (UST vs. BST) and uses expensive proprietary spokes. Also King and Stans are both US manufactures and you can have a US wheel builder put it together.
    Heavier? Post some specs so we know what you are talking about. Last time I checked, SLRs were lighter than almost anything with King hubs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My king hubs, with crest rims, and a mix of cxrays and supercomps is well bellow 1500 grams.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Heavier? Post some specs so we know what you are talking about. Last time I checked, SLRs were lighter than almost anything with King hubs.
    SLRs are claimed at 1520g. link

Chris King ISO q/r hubset = 447g (weighed)
    Pair of Alpines/Crests = 660g (claimed)
    Revos + alloy nips = 320g (weighed*)
    Total = 1427g

* - this is actual weighed sample of 64 Revos at an average length of 292mm (29er), so it is conservative and the same set of spokes for a 26" wheel will weigh a bit less.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    SLRs are claimed at 1520g. link

Chris King ISO q/r hubset = 447g (weighed)
    Pair of Alpines/Crests = 660g (claimed)
    Revos + alloy nips = 320g (weighed*)
    Total = 1427g

* - this is actual weighed sample of 64 Revos at an average length of 292mm (29er), so it is conservative and the same set of spokes for a 26" wheel will weigh a bit less.

Crests weigh 340 each according to the Stans website.

Thx for the info guys. Unfortunately I think I'm a bit heavy for those rims.

How much would that setup run to be built?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast