mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Crossmax SL - UST versus Regular with Stans

I just got a set of mavic crossmax sl and I want to try tubeless. People either hate it or love it so i figure it's something I'll have to try for myself.

My wheels have UST rims and I realize that UST tires should work well. But I have been told that a regular tire will work just as well with stans sealant. I have two crossmark folding tires right now with tubes in them. I want to put a Maxxis ignitor on the front and a Crossmark on the back. I am having a hard time deciding if I want to save some weight and just buy a regular Ignitor and use it and my current crossmark in a tubeless setup or just purchase two new tires, both UST.

I'm looking for some advice from the experienced...

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    As long as you're just experimenting, just use the tires you have. Watch the Stan's mounting videos for learning the shake, spin, lie flat technique for getting the sealant to coat everything inside and sealing up a nontubeless tire.
    I have used mavic crossmax SL since around 2006. I went tubeless with them I think in 2007. I have used nontubeless, UST, and tubeless ready. I have had zero problems with any tire, but non-tubeless tires tend to be more susceptible to sidewall tears. But they will be very light. I currently only use tubeless ready or UST, with a preference for tubeless ready for weight savings. I feel more confident when I'm using equipment as it was designed for. The following is a great video for setting up a any type of tire tubeless on your wheels.

Former Bike Wrench
    Using UST or Tubeless Ready tires will be a sure thing, with basically no risk of failure. Using standard tires might work (but will be harder to mount) or they may blow off the rim at an inopportune time.

You'll have to decide if it is worth the risk or not

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the input. Are you guys still using Stans when using UST or tubeless ready?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by djonesax View Post
    Thanks for the input. Are you guys still using Stans when using UST or tubeless ready?
    Most tubeless ready tires need sealant to hold air. UST tires do not.

I only use sealant unless absolutely necessary.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Use tubeless ready or UST (or LUST..light ust from Maxxis). You will never regret it. If you use regular tires you run the risk of sidewall cuts, plus flatting by just taking a big hit and having the sidewall collapse and release air. With tubeless ready or UST you can run much lower tire pressures which most people do these days. Last time I replaced a tire it had a number of holes which Stans had fixed on the go (mainly thorns). I always use Stans.

Nuts
    I have been running regular non tubeless ready Nobby Nics for a year without tubes on Crossmax ST's with no problems, but I would recomend tubeless ready. I say try what you have what do you have to lose.
    And I love beer!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have been running regular non tubeless ready Nobby Nics for a year without tubes on Crossmax ST's with no problems, but I would recomend tubeless ready. I say try what you have what do you have to lose.
    A lot of skin, a helmet, hearing...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nuts

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    A lot of skin, a helmet, hearing...
    Shiggy we all know you have pure hatred for non tubeless tires set up tubeless and untill more tire manufactures produce tires the public wants we are going to continue to break the rules. I have countless races on regular tires set up tubeless and still can hear fine. I do recomend TR tires though. Maybe you should make a sticky as why Shiggy hates non tubless ready tires run tubeless so you can educate the thousands of us that do.
    Edit: I saw JHK running team xr1 tires tubeless converted with Stans, kind of funny that a sponsor would let their rider do that.
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-13-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    And I love beer!!

DB4L
    May 2008
    I just setup my tubeless today. Trick if you don't have an aircompressor; seat the bead with a tire lever and it airs up like magic. Seriously the tirelever until meeting resistance step allows the bead to fall into the hook and makes inflating a snap.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by djonesax View Post
    With UST I recommend Slime for Tubeless Tires which can be found at autoparts stores, it's the stuff with little black pieces of rubber in it. It will not dry up but still works at sealing punctures.

With Tubeless Ready, you will have to use a sealant such as Stans, Slime Pro, Bontrager Super Juice, or your own homebrew.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I really want to use the ignitor and crossmark combo and they only come in regular or UST so I guess I'll go UST. My biggest concern with using a regular tire for tubeless is having a blowout of some sort and damaging the rim. I have read that stans will void the warranty of some UST tires, what's the deal with that?

Former Bike Wrench
    Kenda claims it causes delamination issues...I say it's crappy tires from Kenda

Either way if your going to run UST tires, don't run Stans. Either go without sealant (if puntures are not a concern) or go with a non-latex product like Slime for Tubeless Tires (found at autoparts stores, the stuff with black rubber bits in it) that won't dry up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    great thanks for all the awesome feed back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Kenda claims it causes delamination issues...I say it's crappy tires from Kenda

Either way if your going to run UST tires, don't run Stans. Either go without sealant (if puntures are not a concern) or go with a non-latex product like Slime for Tubeless Tires (found at autoparts stores, the stuff with black rubber bits in it) that won't dry up.
    Shiggy,

Do you mean THIS:

http://www.slime.com/product/781/%28...-Sealant-.html

or THIS:

http://www.slime.com/product/74/Tire-Sealant.html

The first is a lot more expensive, and I think it may contain latex...???

If the second works, that's great--cheap!!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm not Shiggy, but the second one is the non-latex formula that works well with UST tires

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    I'm not Shiggy, but the second one is the non-latex formula that works well with UST tire.
    Sorry! Brain fart.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm planning to run UST (Mavic 819's), but will need sealant to protect from the goatheads around here. Good to know the cheap stuff will work!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado