2OFME
    Sep 2006

Crossmax SL and Bontrager TLR tires?

How well do the new bontrager tires work tubeless with a Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset? I'm looking at the XR2 or XR3 specifically.
    I know I need sealant. Do I need the rim strip or just tire and sealant?

I've read a few vague references to the TLR tires not playing well with UST rims. Is my other option Specialized 2Bliss?

I tried searching, couldn't find any definitive answers to the Bontrager with UST rims. Obviously I could go straight up UST tire, but as many have pointed out, the weight penalty is a little high.

Thanks,
    -Pete

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most tires work just fine .... if they have a sufficiently strong bead.....Since the tire is TLR it should be fine...

I have used Mavic UST rims but not that specific tire.

I run a Maxxis Ignitor non-tubeless tire...tubeless jsut fine.

Former Bike Wrench
    No rim strip needed, the TLR and 2Bliss tires should work just fine on Mavic UST rims.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes View Post
    How well do the new bontrager tires work tubeless with a Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset? I'm looking at the XR2 or XR3 specifically.
    I know I need sealant. Do I need the rim strip or just tire and sealant?

I've read a few vague references to the TLR tires not playing well with UST rims. Is my other option Specialized 2Bliss?

I tried searching, couldn't find any definitive answers to the Bontrager with UST rims. Obviously I could go straight up UST tire, but as many have pointed out, the weight penalty is a little high.

Thanks,
    -Pete
    Bonty TLR tires are UST compatible. Mount as you would any UST tire. I have used them on Mavic UST rims with no issues.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common