mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Crossmax SL--Best Tire (UST) for Front Traction?

Have the Crossmax SL's that came with my C-dale Rush. Mavic recommends nothing larger than a 2.1. Was thinking about the Weirwolf UST 2.1 (which comes stock on the C-dale but the guy who sold it to me replaced them with Exiwolfs). Want something thats the least likely to wash out from under me.
    Any other recommendations?
    I'm a novice rider, mostly XC in Los Angeles area, about 190 lbs at 6'1" if that's relevant.
    Thanks

Commit or eat sh!t
    I use 2.35" Fat Albert UST on the front. And it is a real 2.3". You could also try Nevegal 2.35 UST. If you are a beginner, I would stick with what you have until you get better. Tires aren't going to make that much difference at your level. My bro can bomb trails on his 2.1" tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Clarification....

Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    I use 2.35" Fat Albert UST on the front. And it is a real 2.3". You could also try Nevegal 2.35 UST. If you are a beginner, I would stick with what you have until you get better. Tires aren't going to make that much difference at your level. My bro can bomb trails on his 2.1" tires.
    Are you saying you've used these on the Crossmax SL? I thought there was a 2.1" limit on those?

Regarding sticking with what I have, I have non-UST tires on there now, which I assume the prior owner installed to save weight. Others say that running non-UST tires without tubes means I don't have enough sidewall protection.
    Last edited by NRRider; 11-03-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by NRRider
    Are you saying you've used these on the Crossmax SL? I thought there was a 2.1" limit on those?

Regarding sticking with what I have, I have non-UST tires on there now, which I assume the prior owner installed to save weight. Other say that running non-UST tires without tubes means I don't have enough sidewall protection.
    I AM CURRENTLY using 2.35" on SLs. Also, you need to watch out in that some 2.35 are more like 2.1" (Continentals, Maxxis, etc.).

I have never had the tires come off the wheels in 3 years. And I ride pretty aggressively. These wheels/tires have even survived double black stuff at Mammoth.

I always run UST tires, but you can use regular tires assuming you can get them to seal. The upside is the weight. Downside is the flimsy sidewalls. It is all about your style of riding, and weight vs. performance vs. endurance, etc.