mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Crossmax Enduro Disc vs. conventional hubs and 819 rims?

I don't see any reviews of the Crossmax Enduro Disc wheels, and I'm wondering about those vs. building wheels with conventional hubs and 819 disc rims. Any experiences with the Enduro wheel product, or opinions on why I should not get those over mid-level hubs and the 819 rims. I see weight as advantage for the Enduros, and conventional spoke repair as advantage for 819's built with hubs...

Thank you for any opinions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Assuming you are paying typical prices, XM819 all the way.

The CrossMax Enduros typically sell for ~$500 plus shipping and/or sales tax. For that kind of money you can get top end hubs on the XM819s. For what the mail-order places (SuperGo) are charging for the CrossMax Enduro Disc with shipping, you could be riding Chris King hubs on the XM819s. With decently light hubs you really wouldn't be saving much weight at all (if any) versus XM819, and you'd be able to use a decent number of spokes. The 24 spoke CrossMax rim was designed to be used with a hugely oversized, super-stiff aluminum spoke. To cut the price on the Enduro model Mavic just substituted conventional steel spokes. It's easy and cheap to make a lightish wheel by just leaving a bunch of spokes off it, and that's what Mavic did with the Enduros by going with 24 standard steel spokes. It's really asking a lot from so few spokes to run them in a disc brake application. Doesn't mean they won't work for you, but you can get a 32 spoke wheel with vastly superior hubs for roughly the same weight and same typical price.

If you are getting a sweetheart deal on the Enduros, then it might be a different story. You can definitely beat the Enduros with ~$500 to spend.