mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Crossmark (R) and Minion DHF (F) for AM riding?

Hey guys,

I did a search and came out with nothing. Just curious if anyone has tried running a 2.1 crossmark and 2.3 DHF for AM riding? How do the crossmarks hold up?

My 2 favorite sets of tires are Nobby Nic (R) and Hans Dampf (F) or the X-King (R) and Trail King/Rubber Queen (F)

Kind of looking for a good all around combo.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I cant imagine it holding up too well, thin sidewalls on the Crossmark, though it's a great tire for XC riding. I did the Ardent/Crossmark combo for a while on my Chameleon and you just had to be careful around rocks.

Have you considered a 2.5 Minion up front and a 2.2 Ikon in the back? The Ikon is better at everything than the Crossmark and is available with EXO sidewalls. Only recommending the 2.5 Minion because the 2.2 Ikon will be bigger than the 2.3 Minion.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I cant imagine it holding up too well, thin sidewalls on the Crossmark, though it's a great tire for XC riding. I did the Ardent/Crossmark combo for a while on my Chameleon and you just had to be careful around rocks.

Have you considered a 2.5 Minion up front and a 2.2 Ikon in the back? The Ikon is better at everything than the Crossmark and is available with EXO sidewalls. Only recommending the 2.5 Minion because the 2.2 Ikon will be bigger than the 2.3 Minion.
    Crossmark also available with EXO sidewalls. Ikon better climbing traction in most conditions, but Crossmark might have less rolling resistance? Depends on your conditions I guess. There are always tires with better climbing traction, but usually you're sacrificing rolling resistance (I bet a Kenda Excavator can outclimb almost any tire on a loose slope) so I guess the key is getting a tire with just as much climbing traction as you need. I think the Ikon also corners a little better than the crossmark, but the side knobs on the crossmark aren't bad, they corner better than an SB8 for sure. I'm not sure how long an Ikon will hold up on the rear. I guess that depends on your trail conditions too. Here in southern Arizona we go through rear tires like people in Seattle go through brake pads.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That seems like a cross country setup to me, those are some skinny tires for AM. Ikon exo is a little skinny for my taste, not to mention it is a light casing.

I would run the DHF 2.5 exo and 2.25 lust crossmark if I rode hardpack and wanted to cover some ground. The crossmark has been good for me there, but doesn't do much when the trail gets loose. The DHF is sweet.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Looking for tubed, tubeless? What kind of trails? "AM" could be a lot of things. Dry? Wet? Fast and smooth flow? Chunky roots and rocks? Short ups and downs, long ups and downs, flat stuff?

I've liked the Minion DHF 2.5 3c EXO but find it a bit much for my daily driver riding.

Am recently digging on the Bontrager XR4 2.35 "tubeless ready" up front on a couple bikes. Not quite as big/heavy/slow rolling as the DHF 2.5 at the expense of ever so slightly less grip - actually, it's a hell of a lot faster rolling.

Also playing with a couple Specialized and Maxxis full UST tires in the 2.2-2.35 size-ways for the rears.

2.3 Ground Control
    2.35 High Roller
    2.3 Purgatory

Been also liking the Captain UST 2.0" on the back of my hardtail, but haven't tried the larger 2.2 size yet on the other bikes. It's paired with the smaller 2.2 version of the Bonty XR4. Fast rolling and grippy setup - I think the larger combo paired would work pretty well together.

This is on a mix of fast stuff with lots of chunkysharppointy rocky bits with lots of roots. Slow speed techy rock crawling, fair bit of rollers and drops in the 3-5' range, fairly often into chundery, chossy landing areas. Which is why I prefer having a full UST tire in the back - I like having that beefier sidewall. IMO, worth the weight penalty. I've found running these setups tubeless lets me get away with running narrower tires than when I was running tubess. Better traction and feel overall, faster rolling, and fewer flats.

Recently also tried some Ardents (2.25 and 2.4) for a bit. Nice in the dry, sicked big time when things got a little wet at all.

I really want Maxxis to make a the Minion 2.35 DHF in a UST version. Same for Specialized with their Butcher 2.3.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper