Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cross tires on stans rims. Tubeless compatable just like normal mtn tires?

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sheepo5669 
#1 ·
Would a cross tire mount up just like a normal mountain bike tire on a stans rim? I figure it would but would like to know for sure before I build up a crest wheelset for racing cross.

Also, any cross tire will work? Or should I stick to tubeless ready? And avoid wire bead?

Im a total noob about cross and cross specific gear.
Thanks fellas.

#2 ·
Stan's Crest rims are limited to 40psi. I believe a 700x35 would need more like 90-100psi. I don't think cyclocross tires on a Crest would be a good match. If this is going on a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the Stan's Alpha Disc wheelset would be a better match. Copied and pasted from Stan's site: Now you can run disc brakes with your road rim! Stan's 1510 gram disc compatible wheels, tubeless ready goodness for road or cyclocross. Stan's ZTR Disc hubs keep the wheels affordable but light while still delivering the one of a kind ride quality of the Alpha 340 rim. Rear hub size is 135mm.

#3 ·
I know plenty of people that do it and it works just fine. No reason to avoid wire beads that I know of.
Be cognizant of the tire pressure limitation, but 40psi is a reasonable MAX for cyclocross, though it will depend on your weight, riding style, tires, and the course.

#4 ·
Yep. I run 40psi in my CX tires for longer road rides, but that's way too high for predominantly off road. You should be fine on the Stan's rims. In fact, before Stan's started making road rims, quite a few CX pros were running his MTB 29er rims tubeless.

#5 ·
Well, I would build the wheels for next years XC season. But they could do double duty for racing cross with skinnies for now. Im planning on converting my mountain bike for this season of cross and it would be way easier to swap wheelsets than tires once a week.

Thanks meltingfeather! good to hear about using any tire. That really opens up my options.

Thanks guys

Sheepo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.