banned
    Nov 2011

Crooked rear wheel

I was inspecting my Giant Trance for cracks today, luckily found none but I did notice that my rear wheel is leaning to the left. It is clearly noticeable, and I also noticed that my the disc rubs against the brake pads a little every time the wheel spins freely. What are the causes of this? Can this mean that my wheel needs to be trued? Can it be that my rear triangle is somehow crooked? Can it be the hub? Is this a problem that can not be fixed? I am kind of stressing about it and I want to get it corrected ASAP.
    Last edited by Trail Addict; 11-21-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    I was inspecting my Giant Trance for cracks today, luckily found none but I did notice that my rear wheel is leaning to the left, not by too much but it is clearly noticeable, and I also noticed that my the disc rubs against the brake pads a little every time the wheel spins freely. What are the causes of this? Can this mean that my wheel needs to be trued? Can it be that my rear triangle is somehow crooked? Can it be the hub? Is this a problem that can not be fixed? I am kind of stressing about it and I want to get it corrected ASAP.
    Make sure the hub is seated properly in the dropouts.

Out of true wheels do not lean. The rim wobbles when it spins.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Make sure the hub is seated properly in the dropouts.

Out of true wheels do not lean. The rim wobbles when it spins.
    I checked and it sits perfectly in the dropouts. It goes to the left, for example when I look at it through in between the rear triangle (the bike being upside down) the wheel is significantly to the left. I tried taking the wheel off and putting it back on straighter it did work for a while but then the wheel eventually moved back to the left.

It is very frustrating because I can definitely feel the resistance it creates while climbing.

I hope this is not a frame misalignment issue. I checked the spokes and they appear to be straight. so my last guess goes to the rear triangle being out of alignment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wheel out of dish?

usually cranky
    your axle is probably just shifted. just recenter it and you will be good to go.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    your axle is probably just shifted. just recenter it and you will be good to go.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions in this thread and the last one.

By axle you mean the ends of the hub right? Is it easy to recenter it? Or would I have to take it to the shop?

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions in this thread and the last one.

By axle you mean the ends of the hub right? Is it easy to recenter it? Or would I have to take it to the shop?
    not a problem, i do mean the ends. is it a shimano (cup and cone) or cartridge style? look at the ends that stick out, is one longer than the other? if its a shimano style loosen the locknuts and get the axle centered and tighten it back up. it can be tricky but there are good tutorials on how to do it.

Never trust a fart
    Make sure that the quick release spring is on correctly. Should face the hub like this....

> hub <

If the large end of the spring is over the axle, the wheel will sit crooked in the drop outs.

ups and downs
    Check for a broken axle in the rear hub. It's possible to break an axle but have it held together by the QR in the dropout but allowing the wheel alignment to shift around.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Trail Addict, of all your two posts about your Trance X, none of them got any pictures at all. Maybe it could be easier for us if you throw some picts about your bike, especially the crooked rear end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A bend in a rear triangle tube will also look like a crooked wheel. Saw one this summer the kid fell over on a trail, took a rock to a chain stay, put a little bend in the stay that diagnosed as a wheel rubbing.