mtbr member

Crest rims WITH tubes?

I'm building up a new bike and recently purchased a set of Hope Hoops (Pro2 EVO hubs with Crest rims) with the intent on going tubeless for the first time.

As the bike is getting closer to completion, I'm considering starting out with tubes and then transitioning to tubeless later. One less thing to worry about on my first few rides.

Has anyone successfully run tubes in a Crest rim? I haven't purchased the tires yet but I'm leaning towards Schwalbe NN's, RoRo's, or RaRa's.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Stan's BST is designed to work with or without tubes.

Plus, Stan's recommends using a tube (or rimstrip), to fully press their tape into the rim bed as part of the tubeless process.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have the same wheelset - mine rings up at 1690grams with the stock hope rim tape, converted to 15mmTA on the front and 12x142 TA on the rear.

The Hope Hoops come out of the box taped up for use with standard tubes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Crest rims WITH tubes?

I've got the exact same set as well and they also weighed 1,690 grams. I ran a tube on one wheel for a while; but I had a hard time getting a tire mounted up with a tube on the other wheel, since Stan's are slightly bigger than normal. I just converted that wheel directly to tubeless from the start and to be honest it was easier than trying to mount up the tubed tire - the second wheel was even easier given I now understood how to do it.

If I were you, I'd just go tubeless from the start as it is very easy and can be done with a regular floor pump. This is great wheel set at a great price.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

I'm surprised at the weights you're reporting. Don't these list out at 1440g or so? I doubt the TA adds a half pound!

EDITED: I think I know why...I'm running 26" and I bet you guys are 29.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes - there were a deal that wiggle .com was running a little while back that we stacked a coupon code on top of - Crest 29er Hope Hoops wheels for about $364 shipped to the US for me, with the 142x12 conversion parts included. The weights add up pretty much. Hope says 185/285g fr/rear for their hubs, the hoops are 380 each, Sapim says 64 264mm Race spokes weigh 358 - and these are probably 30mm longer each spoke, (say 6g per spoke=384g) and a brass nipple weighs about a gram each. The TA conversion on the EVO hubs is virtually the same weight as the QR endcaps, since that's the nice thing about the Evo design - just pop out and press in the new endcap.

All that totals to 1678g, and factor in a little for the rim tape.

For a 26" version - Subtract 80grams for the difference between a pair of 26 and 29" crests, and about 50g for spokes, though you're really only into the ~1580 range for a similar 26" setup. The spokes could drop another 100grams if you went to CX-Ray's or DT Supercomps or revolutions, and throw on alloy nipples for another ~30 grams and then you'd be around 1450ish.

These wheels weren't exactly what i wanted or would have built up myself - but they were too good for me to pass on the deal. Heck you couldn't have bought the hubs alone for ~$365 new

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post

These wheels weren't exactly what i wanted or would have built up myself - but they were too good for me to pass on the deal. Heck you couldn't have bought the hubs alone for ~$365 new
    I'm in the exact same boat. I wasn't sold on Stan's or the lightweight Crests (even though I'm only 165 lbs. and ride XC/trail) but at this price, I'll give them a shot! Mine were $326 delivered. Amazing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Crest rims WITH tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I'm in the exact same boat. I wasn't sold on Stan's or the lightweight Crests (even though I'm only 165 lbs. and ride XC/trail) but at this price, I'll give them a shot! Mine were $326 delivered. Amazing!
    Me too and about the same weight ... grabbed them on the cheap.