mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Crest 29er 32h on a 2 cross.

Got talking to a guy who is a pretty good wheel builder. When talking to him about my concerns with crest being a little flexy. He assured me with the right tension they were good. He also pointed out that he builds his up with 2 cross. His theory is that a shorter spoke will always be stiffer amd stronger then a longer one. He has yet to ever wreck a crest.

I did a rough calculation online and the 2 cross comes up 10mm shorter.

Whats your thoights as I really dont have anything to add as im a wheel noob.

mtbr member
    Ive built a few of those, and they're noodles. I built one 2x and it was a noodle and no stiffer than the 3x. Its not just a little flexy, its a LOT flexy!

The arch doesnt weigh much more and its drastically stiffer.

All though, people often mistake flexy for not durable. You can definitely have a very long lasting, durable and flexy wheel. I dont think they're particularly nice to ride, but a noodle wheel can certainly hold up just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Arch weighs abit less then my infernos. There is nothing wrong with them, i just want a lighter wheel. I dont know if saving 70g per wheel is worth going to the arch.

Im down to 170lbs now and crest would probably suit me just fine. But I dobt want a flexy wheel.

I hear so many conflicting stories about crest and how they hold up. Then I see them coming stock on full suspenion trail bikes. I cant see a company putting weak wheels that they know might break. That would be a warranty nightmare.

mtbr member
    They're not weak, they're flexy. There is very much a difference. I have no doubt that people are putting tons of flexy miles on these without problems. My rear wheel (eq23) was SO insanely flexy but at 190-220lb I rode it for 3 years trouble free. I think I trued it up once. It was finally replaced because it just wasnt fun to ride. I put a 50g heavier rim on and the bike feels just as fast/slow, but its MUCH more stable.

If you were 100lb it might be stiff enough (maybe). But again, dont mistake this for being weak, they would likely hold up fine. If you dont want flexy, you dont want a crest!

If you have inferno 25's you'd be saving about 100g per rim going to arch ex's. They weigh quite a bit more than advertised.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well thats good news! 100g per is worth it.

Thanks again