mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Crank Brothers Cobalt

I'm looking to upgrade my wheels and I came across the Crank Bros cobalt model and they certainly look flashy and like a nice set of wheels, but my question is are they worth the price tag of 650 for cobalt 2 or 950 for cobalt 3? Can you recommend wheels that are stronger/lighter (better) that are cheaper?
    scratches and dents show character on the bike or rider

Rub it............
    I personally try to stay away from wheelsets with proprietary parts.

But the saying is this.

Cheap, light, strong.

Pick 2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have had the cobalts for over a year now. I like the wheels. They are light, hold up well to abuse and are easy to work on.

That being said The spoke spacing is very wide so the wheelset loves to pick up sticks. I broke a spoke during a race when a large stick became jammed in the rear. Luckily I keep spare spokes so the repair was easy at the shop, but since I continued to race on it for 2 more laps I put a flat spot in he rim. I'm still riding the wheel with zero problems other than a small hop that's barely noticible.

Crank Brothers will repair the rim for 120 dollars.

T.W.O.
    I've used a set for a few years now and so far no problems. I hope the rims could be wider but I have no problems with 2.35 tires. The engagement is fast at 10* it's tough to tell the difference between cobalt and 5* kings.

If you plan to get a $500-600 set why not? Anymore than that check out kings, Hadley or i9.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk