mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Converting to disc brakes

ATM i'm using V brakes, but have got a good offer on some mechanical disc brakes (about $35, negotiable). everything is included except the hubs. so, i have a few questions. firstly, would i have to but a new wheelset or just hubs? if just the hubs, how would i get the spokes out? are disc brakes a big upgrade? etc. etc.

im a total noob at this :/

mtbr member
    first of all what kind of bike do you have? if you have an older bike or entry level bike you might not even be able to put discs on it. you also have to make sure your fork has disc mounts on it.

converting to discs is a pretty big upgrade. you will need disc hubs if your bike doesnt have them. you'll need either centerlock of 6-bolt hubs, this will depend on what type of brakes your getting. if your current wheels dont have disc hubs you should buy a disc wheelset. new disc wheelsets can be had for under $100 or you could get something cheaper if you buy used. you could just buy disc hubs but then you'll need to have a bike shop rebuild your wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ok, i've got a trek 4500, which has the fantastic rock shox judy tt fork on it, which is absolutely rubbish apart from the fact it has a disk brake mount, so im ok there. how much would it be to get LBS to rebuild my wheels? i mean, nothing wrong with present wheels, and im a bit worried i'll be downgrading if i buy a set off, say, ebay and they suck :/

mtbr member
    what model year is your bike. some treks come with rim brakes but they have disc hubs, if your bike has disc hubs then you are in luck. if you look at your hubs you'll be able to tell if they are disc hubs. look at these two pics if you have disc hubs they will look similar to these.

i dont know what a bike shop typically charges to build a wheel. you might be better off buying a new wheelset. some like this would be a decent wheelset http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Ds-2-Rims.htm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    hmm, is the top one with a disc hub? my wheels are: (pics soon)

thats a pic of the back wheel (yeah, i did have to insult your intelligence :P) showing the space where i assume a brake hub would go. unfortunately, i have nothing there :/ also, theres a sticker on them- it says:

Shimano
    FH-RM40-8
    BS
    malaysia viam

then another sticker that says 'BA'. my bike is 2003 model.

i just plugged the number into teh shimano search box, and got this so i assume that its not disc compatible. also, the front wheel has nothing that would suggest disc compatability.
    Last edited by Jarl; 10-02-2006 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    yeah so your hubs arent disc compatible. do you really need disc brakes? unless you ride in really wet conditions or ride down a lot of long fast downhills you probably dont need discs. if i were you i'd just buy a nice set of avid rim brakes, a good set of rim brakes would be a lot better than the stock brakes that came on your 4500. good rim brakes will give you more than ample braking power in most conditions. disc brakes can sometimes be more of a pain in the a$$ than what they're worth. disc brakes also add a good bit of weight to your bike.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Combo-Kit.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    yeah so your hubs arent disc compatible. do you really need disc brakes? unless you ride in really wet conditions or ride down a lot of long fast downhills you probably dont need discs. if i were you i'd just buy a nice set of avid rim brakes, a good set of rim brakes would be a lot better than the stock brakes that came on your 4500. good rim brakes will give you more than ample braking power in most conditions. disc brakes can sometimes be more of a pain in the a$$ than what they're worth. disc brakes also add a good bit of weight to your bike.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Combo-Kit.htm
    the thing i dont like about rim brakes (i've upgraded them anyway, the stock ones where alwful) is when the rims get muddy it rubs, it squeaks and i mean, that really cant be good for the rims, with all the bits of stone, etc. also, my wheels are true enough, but if theres some mud on them i get regular rub from the brakes, which is what i wanted to avoid. besides, i probably missed my chance for the cheap ones anyway. ill try and get some for christmas :P

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarl
    the thing i dont like about rim brakes (i've upgraded them anyway, the stock ones where alwful) is when the rims get muddy it rubs, it squeaks and i mean, that really cant be good for the rims, with all the bits of stone, etc. also, my wheels are true enough, but if theres some mud on them i get regular rub from the brakes, which is what i wanted to avoid. besides, i probably missed my chance for the cheap ones anyway. ill try and get some for christmas :P
    Disc brakes will still rub and be noisy from time to time in the wet. You will have better braking and not wear out the rim sidewalls. In any case, rims are a consumable part of a bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Don't touch me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarl
    ATM i'm using V brakes, but have got a good offer on some mechanical disc brakes (about $35, negotiable). everything is included except the hubs. so, i have a few questions. firstly, would i have to but a new wheelset or just hubs? if just the hubs, how would i get the spokes out? are disc brakes a big upgrade? etc. etc.

im a total noob at this :/
    I know you said "everything is included except the hubs," just make sure that includes, in good condition, cables and housing. If not, you'll need them. You also may have to buy new brake pads.

I would suggest you buy a disc wheelset. Tearing down your current wheels and rebuilding them with disc hubs and, most likely, new spokes will cost more than some disc wheelsets. Might as well save the vees and use both of them as back-ups just in case.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]