mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Convertable 20mm front hub to go with King rear?

I've sorted out most of my wheelbuild for this summer, though it looks like the snows may finally come visit us before I get to ride it. Sure hope so, anyway...

I'm building up a light AM/heavy XC wheelset. Using a king rear hub, Stan's arch rims, some decent spokes, etc. While I am still riding a qr fork (float 130 RLC), it doesn't seem to make sense to spring for a long term front hub like the king if it has no convertable capacity. I'd imagine the next fork I buy will be thru-axle, so a couple of years from now my hub will go obsolete.

Is the Pro II front hub going to last like the king? I figure it's a more simple component, so maybe? Supposedly I9's hub is convertable, but I can't find any info other than complete wheelsets on their site. Anywhere else to look?

Also, the lame question I have to ask... Is the anodizing on any of the hope or I9 hubs similar to the King's in a color matching sense

mtbr member
    the Pro 2 front is a first class hub. Very light, reliable and smooth. Even if it did pack in, the bearings are cheap and easily replaced. The 20mm conversion is a bonus as well and is also the reason I'm running two of them. I swap wheels between bikes, one of which is 20mm the other QR. Can't fault it.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Another vote for the Hope Pro 2!!

No, that's not phonetic
    I also have a few front Hope hubs, including the Pro II. I run them QR, 20mm, and 24mm (Maverick). They work fine and the conversion is easy.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.