Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

continental x-king -vs- wtb trail boss light tires

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jp716 
#1 ·
My bike came stock with Continental X-King tires. They've been decent all around tires for riding around town but I've been reading good things about WTB Trail Boss Light.

WTB Trail Boss Lights seem to have stellar reviews across the board. Based on what I've read, the WTB Trail Boss Lights seem like they probably corner, brake and climb better than the X-Kings. My main concerns about the WTB Trail Boss Lights are:

* Do they roll about as well as the X-Kings?
* Are they not too much heavier than the X-Kings?
* Are they not too much louder on the street than the X-Kings?

Can you share your experience with the WTB Trail Boss Lights especially in the areas listed above?

#2 ·
The Trail Bosses are surprisingly quick on pavement. I have 2.4s front and rear on 25mm ID rims on my dual suspension trail bike and couldn't be happier with them. I also have a 2.4 on a 29mm rim on the front my 29" hardtail, it's not as good there though I believe rim width may play a factor, or just the fact it's a completely different bike. Though I will say I only have a handful of rides on the one on the HT so I may yet figure it out.

I had a X-king on the rear of the hardtail at one point, though I can offer much in the way of a review because it only lasted two rides. I wasn't blown away by it.

#3 ·
Personally I think they are in a different class. The X-King is much more XC oriented despite the large distance between center knobs. The knobs are low and the casing is very light.

The Trail Boss has tightly packed knobs but they are larger and the side knobs are more aggressive. The tire is approx. 110g heavier if I remember correctly but rolling speed is very close and traction is MUCH better.

I don't ride the street so I cannot say which is better on that kind of surface but the TB is better on dirt.

#4 ·
I don't have any experience with the x-kings, but I've run the Trail Bosses almost exclusively for the past few years (2.4 f, 2.25 r). No issues with rolling resistance or noise on pavement, and they've felt quicker than other comparable tires (Ardents, Mt. Kings). Voluminous with plenty of grip off road (in western PA), very good all-around tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.