mtbr member

Continental X King RaceSport 2.4 vs Bontrager Revolt X 2.2

I currently have a set of Bontrager Revolt Super X 2.2s, and while they are super fast rolling, they are not so good in the wet (even slightly). I see there is a set of Continental X King RaceSport 26 x 2.4 for sale on this forum, and I'm thinking of picking them up.

Will the Continental X King RaceSport 26 x 2.4 ride more like real tires? Do anyone know how well they will roll compared to the Bontrager Revolt Super Xs?

http://www.conti-online.com/generato.../XKing_en.html

http://bontrager.com/model/02862

I wonder if they are really 560 grams tubeless ready though?

Thanks,

Ming

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I currently have a set of Bontrager Revolt Super X 2.2s, and while they are super fast rolling, they are not so good in the wet (even slightly). I see there is a set of Continental X King RaceSport 26 x 2.4 for sale on this forum, and I'm thinking of picking them up.

Will the Continental X King RaceSport 26 x 2.4 ride more like real tires? Do anyone know how well they will roll compared to the Bontrager Revolt Super Xs?

http://www.conti-online.com/generato.../XKing_en.html

http://bontrager.com/model/02862

I wonder if they are really 560 grams tubeless ready though?
    Easy one first... the XK 2.4 RaceSport averages around 580 grams, from my four samples and other peoples' reports. I haven't tried Revolt Super X's myself, so I can't help with the rolling-resistance comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Easy one first... the XK 2.4 RaceSport averages around 580 grams, from my four samples and other peoples' reports. I haven't tried Revolt Super X's myself, so I can't help with the rolling-resistance comparison.
    How is the rolling resistance on the XK racesport? I'd like to get an all around race tire that I don't have to swap around. Right now, I typically bring two bikes and select swap the wheels onto my Top Fuel before I start my lap. It'd be nice to not worry about it. 580 grams is actually really light for a 2.4" tubeless ready tire.

ups and downs
    The 2.4 RS rolls like a slick. On pavement it is dead quiet, smooth and fast. I mean eerily quiet. I'm running them around 25psi with a lightweight tube. They're just a bit too big to use with the Eclipse tubes I have. From what I've tried so far they work better than RK's on mud, but still no MK2.4.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    The 2.4 RS rolls like a slick. On pavement it is dead quiet, smooth and fast. I mean eerily quiet. I'm running them around 25psi with a lightweight tube. They're just a bit too big to use with the Eclipse tubes I have. From what I've tried so far they work better than RK's on mud, but still no MK2.4.
    Thanks rockyuphill.

Do you know how the RS would compare to a set of UST Bluegroove on the front and Nevegals on the rear for wet performance?

I realize the RS will like roll better.

ups and downs
    Every Kenda UST tire I've seen the rubber has been hard and slippery, even the Nevies. They don't seem to offer a grippy rubber like the Stick-E in UST. I haven't tried a Kenda tire for a couple of years now so maybe they have adjusted the UST compound.

Conti's Black Chili rubber is the closest thing to rubber magic I've seen. Rolls fast, grips well and lasts a long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    He is asking about the XKing not the Race King.

I have not tried the XKing, but the Race King is fast and will offer better traction than the Bontrager Revolt - which I have also had in the past. They are a dry only tire.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by newtrailhead
    He is asking about the XKing not the Race King.

I have not tried the XKing, but the Race King is fast and will offer better traction than the Bontrager Revolt - which I have also had in the past. They are a dry only tire.
    That's the X-King 2.4 RS (RaceSport) I mentioned. There is no 2.4 Race King.

mtbr member
    Every Kenda UST tire I've seen the rubber has been hard and slippery, even the Nevies. They don't seem to offer a grippy rubber like the Stick-E in UST. I haven't tried a Kenda tire for a couple of years now so maybe they have adjusted the UST compound.

Conti's Black Chili rubber is the closest thing to rubber magic I've seen. Rolls fast, grips well and lasts a long time.
    Ahh that's perfect. I wonder if I should switch these on my Blur LT as well. That bike is used for more All mountain purpose, but would a heavier UST provide more protection?

I think I'll pick up two RS for my race bike since they sound like they are much better than my Revolt X.

mtbr member
    All right, bought this set.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=59924&cat=22

I guess I could've go these from starbikes.com as well, but might as well pick them up since it's pretty convenient now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just so people know you can get the tires here in the US now. Ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and got them in a week.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...sport-mtb-tire

mtbr member

That pretty much made my decision How would you compare the two setups in the wet? Obviously I don't expect the XKs to be perfect mud tires, but my current Bontrager Revolt Super Xs can't handle any moisture.

ups and downs
    A Nevegal in Stick-E rubber was always the gold standard for grip, but they rolled slow and wore quickly. The standard compound Nevie was never a great joy in wet conditions.

The X-King is really good on wet roots and rocks, and likes mud if it's not too sticky or squidgy. You notice the lack of tall knobs in the mud, but in moderate wet conditions it's been quite good so far.