mtbr member

Continental X King 2.4 UST on 19mm Rims (XM819)?

I'm considering going with the Continental X King 2.4 UST up front to go with my Race King 2.2 UST on the rear. Is the XK 2.4 UST too big for a rim with a 19mm internal width? I know the XK 2.4 SS is a pretty big tire and maybe too big for a 19mm rim but my understanding is that the UST versions are smaller. The RK 2.2 UST mounted up on my bike doesn't look that big and if the XK 2.4 UST is just a bit bigger (as the sizing would imply) I should be okay on the 19mm rim.

Anyone out there running XK 2.4 USTs on a 19mm rim?

Thanks!
    2007 Ibis Carbon Mojo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes please tell!

I'm looking at the X-king 2.4 front and rear on a set of Mavic 819's as well. Also hoping the 2.4's will fit in back on my Salsa Ala Carte which specs maximum of 2.3's - currently running 2.3 WTB Exiwolfs with no issues. Looks like the width of the 2.4 X-kings is very close....

Anyone with experience on the 819's or width comparison with 2.3 Exiwolfs, please share your thoughts....

More Torque
    Not sure if this helps, but this has been my experience on 19mm UST rims:

MK 2.2 UST - No problems with width on 19mm rims, but tire is low volume. Not enough rim protection or flotation. Great mud tire. Wears quickly.

MK 2.4 UST - Works great front or rear. Good all around tire

RK 2.2 UST - Works great as a rear tire, when paired with the MK 2.4 UST on the front. More tall than wide. Rolls well. Little edging grip. Not as much rim protection as the MK 2.4 UST.

XK 2.4 RaceSport (not UST) - too wide, with too flimsy of a carcass for a 19mm UST rim (at least under my 200 lbs). I'd like to try the UST version, but it was not out when I purchased the RS. As someone mentioned, the UST versions of Conti tires are usually a bit smaller than their non-UST counterparts, so the UST RS may work better if it is a little narrower, with a stiffer sidewall.

If anyone tries it, please report back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am trying to set up an X king 2.4 racesport on my XTR m975 UST wheels. It looks like a baloon. So far no luck getting it to hold air. even with 2 scoops of stans.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So are the XTR rims 19mm? Are you having same problems as above when riding (in addition to sealing issues)? I'm starting to think the 2.4 XK might not be the tire for a Mavic 819 UST rim...anyone else?

mtbr member
    May 2008

May be ok...

Mounted up 2.4 (front) and 2.2 (back) X-King Protection this week with no problems on my Mavic 819's. Sealed tubeless splendidly the first try with little effort. Performance wise they are tremendous, super fast and excellent traction. A little early to tell but very impressive so far. I notice no instability or issues with this combo.

The downside is I split a sidewall on the 2.2 on my second ride and had to walk home. Not sure if it's a defect or the nature of the tire. I am being sent a replacement, this time a 2.4 so we'll see how that holds up and how it works on the rear with my 819s. The X-king 2.4 appears to be slightly narrower and less volume than my Exiwolf 2.3s so they'll fit in the Salsa just fine.

More to come....