mtbr member

Continental Trail King vs Baron

I'm looking at both the Trail King and the Baron tires for all-around riding in the Pacific Northwest. It looks as though both do well in mud, roots and loamy trails. Any reason to prefer one over the other?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I do not have any experience with the Baron but I have the TKs. They have very good grip with the black chili both wet and dry. The cons for me are that I ride rocky trails and I tend to tear the sidewalls quite a bit. They are also not very fast rolling, not as bad as the Nevegals though. YMMV.

mtbr member
    I have had both: Barons are at 2.3 a little bit wider than 2.2 TKs, but much more taller. The knobs on Barons are much larger, and the carcass it self a lot thicker. So, in short, Barons are heavy duty, TKs are for "light" trail riding.

I liked the Barons alot, they are very grippy both in sprinting steep hills up and braking on the way down. They don't roll very well thought. That black chilli compound is very soft and gluey.
    But they are a nightmare to get them tubeless (that's why I am seeking UST-Barons).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Baron front/trail king 2.2 rear is an absolute money pnw winter combo. The barn is definitely the more agressive higher traction tire of the two

mtbr member

Thanks!

That was exactly the information that I was seeking. Good to hear that a TK rear and Baron front combo works well.