mtbr member

Continental Speed king...tubeless with Stans...weird microscopic bubbles...

Hi, I just bought a set of SunRingle Black Flack Pro (killer wheels with the gold rim on my Ti hardtail). This is my first mtb tubeless experience. The rims are Stans and the whhelset came with sealant and valves.

So, I installed the wheels with brand ne Continental SpeedKing 2.1 Supersonic. Those tire are not tubeless specific but Stans state that the sealant is also compatible with regular tire.

Anyway, I did the install, everything went well but when I inflate the tires, very small bubble(the size of a needle) create on the sidewall. If I rub my finger on it, the bubble fail and the latex fill it.

Is this common? Will it stop over time? Are those tires more porous than other?

I did this 30 min. ago...I'll check how it goes...

Thanks, Emmanuel

Former Bike Wrench
    Normal to see those bubbles on standard non-tubeless tires. Most will completely seal after a ride or two, but some tires will continue to "weep" the entire time you use them. I had a set of tires that always had a little bit of weep the entire time I used them but held pressure fine otherwise.

transmitter~receiver
    Good luck getting Supersonics sealed up... you'll need it.
    Sidewall bubbles are certainly normal for regular tires run tubeless. However, Conti's lightweight SS tires are notorious for difficulty in getting them to seal.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Any suggestion for a lightweight tire, preferably 2.1 with a tread pattern comparable with the Speedking that will be more suitable for tubeless application on Stans rims?

BTW, If I removed those tire that had sealant, can I just clean them, then sell them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Try the Conti X-King in the Racesport version, which is tubless compatible. Sorry to say, but your Speed Kings need to be pitched at this point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    same here, my X-King Protections will not seal up due to hundreds of pours in the sidewalls. I've done all the tricks, double sealant and they still loose air between rides. You can try a couple things:
    Add more sealant, spin the tire and hold it horizontal to spread the sealant around the sidewall and then let it sit overnight horizontally (use a 5gal bucket or sim). Do the same to the other side the next night.
    Some cases the tire will hold air throughout a ride with no issues, if that's good enough for you then keep riding it.
    If you don't want to mess with it then take the tire off and wash with warm water to clean the sealant out and sell it.

The Schwalbe's seem to seal up much better, especially the Double Defense models. I have a few that hold air really well. My Rocket Ron TLR (not DD) holds air well, but does loose enough that each ride I have to add pressure. It doesn't do well with thorns though so you need to carry a pump/CO2 on rides.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build