mtbr member

Continental Rubber Queen question

Guys,
    I bought a set of these
    http://www.bike-discount.de/index.ph...ails&pdid=6511
    hoping to set them up tubeless on my Stans Flows. I noticed after the fact they were not the UST type but the regular clincher type. I ordered the wrong ones. Can i still run these tubless or with a tube on my Flows?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Should work just fine as tubeless on Flows, although not the UST version. I've had the 2.2 non-UST and it was rather easy to mount. You probably need to use sealant though...

No Stranger to danger....
    Why does the name rubber queen always turn me on?
    We have cleaning products here called rubber maid, that gets me excited too?
    Does this happen with anybody else, or is it just me?
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Prolly just you...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I dated a girl once who's nick name was the Rubber Queen. I was told it was because her hobby was stamping and she had a huge collection of them. Hmmmm.

Verttii, thanks i was planning on using sealant with my set up so I hope it will work.

mtbr member
    I used the Trail King 2.4 29 inch tire tubeless with Stan's liquid on Flow rims with no problems so far. Sealed up quite easily, though there are reports of others have weepy sidewall issues. I have the folding bead version, and I'm not sure if you will have the same sidewalls as my tire does, at least judging by the picture you linked to. My tire was made in Indonesia, not Germany.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    2.4" should have the Apex sidewall that is lacking from the 2.2" version, the 2.2" non-UST sidewalls are like paper so not good if riding in rocky terrain where sidewalls often rub against rocks...

Some of the Contis have had "silicon like" coating inside the tire, which mainly doesn't help the sealing procedure. Some have used some cleaners and rag to clean/remove this coating from the tires inner surface, helping the tire seal faster. However, too strong cleaner could damage the tire so be careful if you try this...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post
    2.4" should have the Apex sidewall that is lacking from the 2.2" version, the 2.2" non-UST sidewalls are like paper so not good if riding in rocky terrain where sidewalls often rub against rocks...

Some of the Contis have had "silicon like" coating inside the tire, which mainly doesn't help the sealing procedure. Some have used some cleaners and rag to clean/remove this coating from the tires inner surface, helping the tire seal faster. However, too strong cleaner could damage the tire so be careful if you try this...
    Yes they do come with the apex sidewall but only weigh around 850g's vs the 1050g's for the ust ones. I thought I heard somewhere the trail kings are the same tire but made for USA where the Rubber Queens are for Europe. maybe thats why the trail kings are made in Indonesia. I have never done a tubeless set up before and not sure what to expect on my first attempt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Yes they do come with the apex sidewall but only weigh around 850g's vs the 1050g's for the ust ones. I thought I heard somewhere the trail kings are the same tire but made for USA where the Rubber Queens are for Europe. maybe thats why the trail kings are made in Indonesia. I have never done a tubeless set up before and not sure what to expect on my first attempt.
    Trail Kings are the Rubber Queen, yes. Name changed for North America to remove the "X" rating that gets Tone all worked up. From what I understand, the Trail King was being made in Indonesia, but Conti is trying to do more tires in Germany. I believe the hope is that all tires will eventually be made in Germany, but I could be wrong because I'm only going off what I've read on the interwebs. The Germany tires will use better rubber compounds and have different sidewalls, again from what I gather. There are a number of Conti tires made in Germany are already out. The 29er Trail King made in Germany is coming out some time soon.

On tubeless, I didn't have any troubles using the methods that are all over youtube and on the Stan's website. Mine sealed up easily with a hand pump. I did a lot of shaking and rotating the wheel, then left the wheel sit on each side for a number of hours. Sealed over night for me.

I'm with stupid
    There is two different versions of the trail king rubber. The "black chili" version of the trail king is made in Germany right next to the rubber queen just a different name is painted on the side. The non black chili version is made in Indonesia. So you can buy both the black chili have made in Germany stamped on the side wall the cheaper non black chilis are not marked made in Germany. As far as I have read they have yet to make the 29er versions of their tires in the famous black chili version that people rave about. I have heard that is going to change this year, however that has been said about the last two years as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    There is two different versions of the trail king rubber. The "black chili" version of the trail king is made in Germany right next to the rubber queen just a different name is painted on the side. The non black chili version is made in Indonesia.
    This is what I had heard as well, but when I got my 2.4 Trail King in 29 from Indonesia, the box claimed right on it: "using the black chili rubber compound". Now I don't know if there is simply a better version of black chili that Conti can use in Germany that can't be produced in Indonesia or what?

mtbr member

Not to hijack but..............

who's running the trail kings front and rear? Rear only? front only?
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member

Not to hijack but..............

"Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    I'm riding my 2.4 29 inch Trail King on the rear only. It's slow. Weighs 990 grams. But has great uphill climbing traction. If I were to start over, I might prefer to buy the 2.2 Trail King. It's almost as wide as the 2.4, but around 150 grams lighter. I don't think I'd be losing much but the additional grams with the 2.2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    2.2" UST BC rear only, in front I don't like the RQ/TK because of the small-ish side knobs. If the side knobs would be bit more aggressive, this would be close to perfect tire, front and rear, now it is that only on rear...

mtbr member
    Guys, sorry i forgot to ask since i'm using none ust tires for my tubeless set up should I install the stans rim strips or just use the tape and stans valves. I have both already so whatever works the best.

mountain biker
    you're on Stans Flows right? You don't need the rubber strip, just the tape, as per the instructions on Stans site. I have been running that setup going on 5 years now.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    I started off running the RQ [2.4 Black Chili] on the front, but it had this weird tendency to flip rocks into the spokes. I switched the RQ to the rear and put an Ardent on the front, and this is now my go-to combo for anything that requires me to climb. I have also tried DHF and Ardent on the back, and neither gives as much climbing traction as the RQ.

As for mounting the RQ tubeless, it wasn't an issue, although the UST version on a Mavic 823 required a compressor to get the bead to seal.