mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Continental Rain king - tread direction

I picked up a Conti Rain King from my LBS this morning, and got it for a steal! Turns out a Conti Rep from Germany visited the shop several weeks ago and gave them a set of the Rain Kings. They have been sitting around and this morning I asked how much they wanted for one. I was asked how much I wanted to pay, boy do I love hearing those words
    Anyway, I plan on trying this out as a front tire but I have a small problem. As far as I can tell there is no arrow or indication what direction the tire is supposed to rotate. Does anyone have an ideas of how i can tell?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There should be an arrow that's molded into the sidewall, so it might be hard to see.

Anyway, I've only seen them in pictures, but it looks like the knobs are ramped on one edge, if so, run the ramps forward, for the best rolling and braking.
    Also, it looks like the center blocks might be "scooped" on one edge, so I would run that on the rear/braking edge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Conti label was applied over the arrow making it very hard to see.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This thing was a biotch to mount on my Dt Swiss 5.1d rims. Even with a Kevlar bead I broke 3 tire levers getting out mounted. Its also small for a 2.5, the 2.4 WTB MotoRaptor I had on the front was bigger than this tire.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    This thing was a biotch to mount on my Dt Swiss 5.1d rims. Even with a Kevlar bead I broke 3 tire levers getting out mounted. Its also small for a 2.5, the 2.4 WTB MotoRaptor I had on the front was bigger than this tire.
    Levers? Levers? We Don't Need No Stinking Levers!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common