mtbr member
    May 2010

Continental Mountain King Supersonic with Supersonic tubes?

Hi,

I'm quite new to the mountain biking scene but have done some bmx riding a few years back. Just bought a Heckler and was thinking of changing the tires for some lighter ones.

I've been looking at chainreactioncycles.com since I live in Finland and they ship quite well here with good prices. The Continental Mountain King Supersonic seems to come quite highly recommended. The 2.2" tires on the CRC site would be perfect but the question is about the tubes.

They sell the Continental MTB 26 Supersonic tubes but they have a number on the listing indicating a that they fit tires from 1.9-2.1". Now, will these tubes work in the Mountain King Supersonic tire or would they be too small? If they won't fit what other lightweight tubes could I use in a 2.2" wide tire?

Thanks for your help,
    Jonathan

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't know about those specific tubes, but in general, tubes can be stretched a bit no problem.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have used them in a 2.2 Race king for xc racing. Montain king 2.2 is a much smaller tyre. But they are a racing tube which are expensive and don't offer much puncture protection. You can get a Michelin aircomp C4 latex tube for the same price and 25 grams heavier but will provide better puncture resistance. Any other tube that goes to 2.2 or 2.25 will be fine[ usually around 150g]. those that go to 2.5 will be a bit heavy at about 200g

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Michelin tubes are perfect for what I need. Thanks for the tip! Since they are 2.2" standard I won't have to stretch them beyond what they are manufactured for. They are only 30g heavier than the supersonic ones so I can live with that since the puncture resistance goes up significantly.

I am amazed at this forum and how fast people are to reply with good info. Thank you again!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    try http://www.bike-components.de

much lower prices on all components and very good service.

mtbr member
    Just simply look at this numbers at mm not in inches! "MTB 26 Supersonic 0183061 26x1.75-2.1 47/54-559 Presta 42mm 100g Tube MTB Butyl" http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/tubes.php Check it and ride it. I ride RK 2.2 (wider then MK) with SS tubes. No problems at all.

local trails rider
    Mountain Kings are not all that big. I think the 2.4" version would be a better match for a Heckler. Better traction on many surfaces too, because the knobs are more widely spread.

parts leftover
    +1. Mountain King 2.4s simply aren't that big. They fit in my Racer-X, so there is no way they are true 2.4. That being said, I love the tread pattern and tire performance.

local trails rider
    I think Conti measures the tires to the widest point which, in case of the MK, is the side knobs. That should be pretty close to 2.4" / 60 mm.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes you might be right about the 2.4 version fitting better on the Heckler. Especially since the Heckler is more freeride oriented. I however think I will manage just fine with the 2.2 since we have quite lousy trails here so it's mainly more XCish riding that I do. I placed the order but it hasn't arrived yet. Went with the latex tubes as well.